• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I'm not new to guns, but I'm no expert so opinions are greatly appreciated here. I want some ideas on good selections for the money and my thoughts on why I feel I need them. I like guns I feel they are money in the bank but I will by no means become a collector so I will list my reason for wanting or owning certain guns and ask for advice on certain types.

G17....target and reliability. Own
    Compact .45 carry defense gun for bad areas. Own
    Mossberg 500 with pistol grip. flashlight and 18 barrel.....home defense. Own
    Full size 12 gauge....small game and large game. In market for
    rifle....large game. In market for
    .357.....wife's gun. Own
    pocket pistol....when I really want to make sure it's 100% concealed in light clothing. In market for

I'm no hunter. But I do want to be prepared to live off the land so to speak if we in fact ever did enter into another depression. This is where I ask what is a good rifle for $500 range that will hopefully be stored it's whole life.
    My reason for applying for a CCW is mostly incase it hits the fan and because both our families live in a bad area of Detroit. I've been thinking my G30 would be ideal when visiting up there. There have been break ins and my mother in law was attacked in her own home. I'd like to get them to move but the economy prevents them from wanting to sell, that and they have no mortgage. So I take precautions when taking wife and daughters to visit.
    I guess in short I am asking if I am going over board or am I on the right track?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    All depends on who you ask, and why they're "Should Have"..

Just "to have", I think a 1911 should be on there. Some sort of black rifle and an import rifle (SKS/AK)..

Now, that being said..

If you've already got a Glock 17 and a compact .45 (which you don't specify), why do you want a Glock 30?

If you've already got a Mossberg 500, why not consider a smaller guage shotgun for small game? Especially if you're looking to get a rifle.. in a "livin' on the land" situation, laws concerning what you can use to hunt don't really apply..

I think a small pocket-size handgun is a great investment. I don't like to leave home without SOMETHING, and I'd rather have an undergunned .380 than only have the wish that I had my Glock with me..

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You can always get different pieces parts (slug barrel, waterfowl barrel, choke tubes, etc) for your Mossberg 500 for different hunting situations, and if you ever hunt waterfowl (legally) you'll need a different magazine tube too.

But if you want to leave the 500 alone, there are a number of good choices, Mossberg 500, Remington 870, 1100, 11-87, and others.

For a large game rifle the typical answer is a .30-06 -- it will do just about everything you could ever need. The .270, 7mm-08, and a few others also fit into this category.

For small game, a .22LR rifle is many times better than a shotgun, and no rifle "collection" is complete without a decent .22.

If you need something in between a .22 and a .30-06 then a .223, but if it just needs to be dead, then you can do without the .223.

Pocket pistol? Now there's a can of worms!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Everyone's 'list' is going to vary...

Something that I would propose for you to consider would be a simple .22LR bolt action. It's versatile, inexpensive, and ammo is (should be) easy to come by. Also a little bit quieter than the shotties for small game ;)

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    One of the other forums I visit, dedicated more towards survivalist topics than firearms, has pretty much solidified a list.

1. Defensive Pistol - Your G17 fits the bill nicely. Anything 9mm and up, semi-auto works.
    2. Main Battle Rifle (MBR) - Can be AK/AR or some other magazine fed, larger capacity 'sporting rifle' or EBR. Defensive, Offensive, capable of feeding the family.
    3. Defensive Shotgun - Again, you're covered here with the 500. Can also be used in a pinch to hunt game.
    4. .22LR Rifle - A .22 for small game hunting. the 10/22 seems to be the rifle of choice for most, I'll keep my 21 year old Marlin semi-auto tube feed.

Owning those 4 types of firearm at minimum should cover all bases. Some people I've heard about recommend doubling up or having a full set for each adult member of the household. YMMV, and I'm 50% there until I find a new pistol.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    From a friend of mine and the keepandbeararms.com website:

Six guns for every home

Summary:

1) Best military grade weapon you can afford. (Mine's an AR15.)

2) A good bolt-action rifle for long-range sniping. (For sufficient values of "good" I have the Mosin Nagant 91/30 and the 1891 Argentine.)

3) A .22 rifle (10/22 in my case.)

4) At least one pistol or revolver per adult. (Got several to choose from here.)

5) A pistol in .22 caliber (Mine's an el-cheapo Phoenix Arms HP22a.)

6) Pump action 12 or 20 ga shotgun (Mossberg 500).

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am not a fan of pistol grips on shotguns. I would get a $80 barrel with chokes for the 500, and a stock. Forget a separate shotgun.

Got to have a 10/22 for cheap practice/small game.

AK/AR

Unless you are on a farm and self sufficient now, you wont be able to live off the land here in IN, that is a myth.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Good list, David!

In my case,

1-SKS with plenty of ammo
    2-Don't have. Need to get something!!
    3-10/22
    4-Handful of options
    5-Colt Cadet
    6-Mossberg 9200, not quite a Pump Shotgun, but it works well for me in the instances mentioned in the article you linked..

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Home defense shot gun mossberg 500
    Glock 19
    Trap / hunting shot gun remmington 870
    10/22 for small game
    1911 in .45 for BBQ parties
    Sub compact glock 26
    Ar15 for intimidation / shtf
    Mosin nagant for fun
    Ak47 to use as a club

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    My picks of top 5, in order of priority:

1. CCW pistol: the one you'll have with you at all times. 9mm/40/45: take your oick. For 9mm, G17 works but is a mite big, a G19 is better.
    2. Pump shotgun: home defense (18" brl), hunting (26" brl with chokes, and slug brl for legal deer)
    3. Semi Auto rifle: my picks in order - AR15, AK74, AK47, SKS
    4. Bolt rifle with nice variable scope: my caliber picks in order (30-06, 308, 270)

M1A with scope could replace both 3. and 4.

For TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, or normal times, I do not think a semi-auto rifle should be the first priority weapon. Just cause it is military issue doesn't make it the most important for private citizens.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Must have...

.22 caliber rifle and pistol as a base. Versatile, cheap to shoot, accurate, available, etc., etc. etc.

My choices are a Winchester Model 77 and a Ruger 22/45 MK III.

After that, have whatever you want. Me...I'm into collecting Mosin-Nagant rifles.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    my advice. stock up on ammo. guns do you no good if you have nothing to shoot in them. you have a good base. rem 770 in any caliber at wally world runs around 340 bucks. use the rest for ammo.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    my suggestions:

1) Best military grade weapon you can afford. AR variant look for gas piston design

2) A good bolt-action rifle for long-range sniping. remington 700 sps tactical in .308(there only about $550)

3) A .22 rifle. 10/22

4) At least one pistol or revolver per adult. XD or M&P

5) A pistol in .22 caliber. sig 220

6) Pump action 12 or 20 ga shotgun remington 870

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    opinions on what you should have are going to very across the board.
    For small game i'll have to agree a .22 cant be beat a marlin 39a is an excellent choice but can be cost limiting. I have a 39a and i also bought a henry hoo1 which is there version of a 39a. The henry is a good field lever action. Shot gun wise a 20 ga would do what you want for small game and you wont over power the lil bunnies. As far as rifles go i have a sendero .270 and a bar .243 both work good in states that there legal. In Indiana you cant go wrong with a thompson center .50 cal or your old trusty 12 ga with a slug barrel

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    #1 22lr Marlin 60 and Browning Camper
    #2 .357 S&W 66-5
    #3 9mm Glock 19
    #4 12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster
    #5 223 Ruger Mini-14

ammo ammo ammo!:yesway:

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    My opinion:

1. Good shotgun for home defense.
    2. Full size hi cap handgun for home defense, teaching, practicing, and carry
    I prefer the Glock 21
    3. Variety of handguns, in a variety of calibers for carry depending on circumstances and clothing.
    4. Good Wheel gun to stick in a dusty place, or a truck for when all else fails.
    I prefer a .38 snubbie.
    5. optional rifle: right now my shotgun does the trick for me, but others prefer a rifle.

Top Bottom