• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Need advice from some experienced backpackers.
    First off I do not have experience overnight packing so this will be my first outing. I do have experience in ‘survival” camping, hunting and hiking but it’s always been on sight and weight was never a concern as the trucks only a mile away……I think this is something I am really going to enjoy doing but don’t want to ruin my first outing on account of negligence or not being prepared.

I’m 6'2" and 225lbs as a reference for load carrying.
    We are tackling a 25+/- mile section of the Knobstone trail I would assume at least 2 full days maybe 2.5. The group that is going is very athletic and in good shape. We plan on placing fresh water and maybe some food items at trail heads along the way prior to departing.

I’m looking for advice on load out what to bring what not to bring. Most my gear is centered around hunting so probably not gonna help to much.
    I have a nice pack, good boots, knives, axe basic survival stuff, steel fire starter, wet/dry tender, matches, compass, first aid, flashlights, water tablets. So if someone could just throw out a list regardless of how obvious please do. I don’t have a packable tent was planning on picking up a hammock or just on the ground under a tarp. I’ll need some cook ware at least a boiling cup, I would like to pick up a small natural tender stove.

Food
    Well I’m not picky so I was just gonna pack a bunch of those tuna packs maybe some of the dehydrated options, Ramen noodles ,jerkey, trail mix.
    Any do’s or don’t will be appreciated here as well.

Clothes
    What to wear what not to
    I figured on quick drying non cotton but how many pairs of socks and unders do you all typically take. Any clothing changes or just ruck on?

If you don’t want to type it all out in a forum you can email me here Dustin.Whitsett@samtec.com
    Thanks in advance

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Leave the axe, bring a smaller knife (multi-tool is great), and a couple of lighters makes for much faster/lighter weight fire starting than 14 different ways. Hiking/backpacking is very different from going to hunting camp as you will find and if you do enough of it you'll figure out what works best for you. The lists kiddchaos linked to are great. I backpack a couple hundred miles a year and for this time of year my pack weight for a couple days, minus water, is usually about 25lbs.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Food:
    There are flat bread at kroger and wally world ect that are pre cut for use as sandwich bread plus they are whole grain and stow very well. Get a bag of gorp its like trail mix and has nuts rasin m&ms beef jerky in it it makes for a nice little boost during a 10min break. Eggs if you like them in the morning they wont go bad in your bag. I would also get a travel Listerine sized bottle and throw some oil in it for your eggs so they dont stick,
    Dont forget the single serving crystal light pouches because even after the nuetralizer iodine water still taste like ass

Gear:

8x10 tarp
    100' 550 cord (learn the the truckers hitch if you dont know it)
    A few carbeaners mid size
    1 pair Extra socks
    Packable rain gear
    deep woods off bug spray
    Nalgene (i prefer the 32oz) and the snap in lid they make for them.
    Mosquito head net and a hat(they are like 2 bucks and worth every penny) and weigh nothing

Thats probably all i would take for 2 days including what you have down already sans some things from your list. And your last night 86 all the food and crap you dont want on you anymore ruin socks? Burn it. Half a thing of bread? Burn it you get the idea

I also picked up a kelty 2 man that fits in my pack pretty well for 89.99 a while ago.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    tylenol, aspirin, diamode, benadryl, a handful of lighters and tiny flashlights and a pillow case (toss your clothes in the case to use as a pillow.

I do not carry much water with me any more. I have a msr miniworks water filter that I have used for years and I am very comfortable in this part of the country packing it instead of a bunch of water.

I am a huge advocate of hammocks in stead of tents. I have months of tent camping under my belt, but am a firm convert to the hammock. I use a Clark's Jungle hammock and love it.

Also, sun block and good bug reppellent, rain gear, compass, two tough 55 gallon trash bags are all good things to have.

Do you spend much time outdoors in your day to day life? How many miles do you have on your footwear?

Shibumi is right, ditch the axe/hatchet. The only way you will figure out what you need and do not need is to get out there and learn the hard way. Good luck and be safe!

PS: When are you going? If it is really hot, that is a serious thing to plan for. Either way, I suggest taking a course of tylenol the day before you head out and throughout your trip. I also suggest drinking loads of water the two days before you go and drinking as you hike and make camp. Bring good salty things to eat too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    From lots of experience backpacking multi-day trips. Take ONLY the necessities. No Axe. If it is heavy, leave it. You'll appreciate/enjoy the hike a whole lot more! for a 2 day trip. a Heavy tent is not worth it. Pack a good ENO hammock or simply a tarp. Take minimal clothing and like i said before, only take minimal equipment because in reality most of the trail is less than a couple miles from civilization if you were struggling. Have fun! take a good TOPO map.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hiked the northern loop of the Knobstone last June with a friend; it was a 25mile stint and we did it in 2.5 days. It was hot and humid, but we had a lot of fun. From my recollection, there are many streams from which you can collect water along the way, just make sure and boil it (google Fancy Feast Stove for a great alternative to expensive hiking stoves. Costs about 5 bucks and 5 minutes of work). Also, I would not recommend sleeping on the bare earth of at all possible. If you do though, make sure it's not in an ant area- left my pack on the ground one night and it must have been on top of an ant hill because when I awoke, there was a hive(?) of thousands of ants in my pack.

Also, take unshucked peanuts for nutrients because you can also use the peanut husks for fire starter.

The ticks were bad too. We didn't use a chemical repellant, just made sure to check our legs when we were walking. Have fun!

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    tylenol, aspirin, diamode, benadryl, a handful of lighters and tiny flashlights and a pillow case (toss your clothes in the case to use as a pillow.

I do not carry much water with me any more. I have a msr miniworks water filter that I have used for years and I am very comfortable in this part of the country packing it instead of a bunch of water.
    I assume these filter out everything would MSR be your recommendation
    I am a huge advocate of hammocks in stead of tents. I have months of tent camping under my belt, but am a firm convert to the hammock. I use a Clark's Jungle hammock and love it.

Also, sun block and good bug reppellent, rain gear, compass, two tough 55 gallon trash bags are all good things to have.

Do you spend much time outdoors in your day to day life? How many miles do you have on your footwear? Not lately on account of kids but have spent a lot of time outside a few years back I'm pretty easy going and don't require a lot of creature comforts. My boots are 3 years old and well broken in

Shibumi is right, ditch the axe/hatchet. The only way you will figure out what you need and do not need is to get out there and learn the hard way. Good luck and be safe!

PS: When are you going?Probably the 2nd or 3rd week of June If it is really hot, that is a serious thing to plan for. Either way, I suggest taking a course of tylenol the day before you head out and throughout your trip. I also suggest drinking loads of water the two days before you go and drinking as you hike and make camp. Bring good salty things to eat too.
    See above

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    The ticks were bad too. We didn't use a chemical repellant, just made sure to check our legs when we were walking. Have fun!

If I could give one piece of advice about hiking in Indiana in the summer it's DO NOT LEAVE THE BUG DOPE AT HOME.

Yeah, it may be a mild season when it comes to mosquitoes, yeah, you might not notice a couple of bites. But if it IS bad, nothing can drive you crazy faster than being swarmed. In all of my packs in the emergency kit is a small tube of 95 or 100% deet. That's in addition to a small bottle I normally carry if I am going into known mozzy territory.

I have two stories that relate:

I got a might turned around in a swamp in Michigan and because I'd been in the water all day, all of the bug dope was off my skin and out of my clothes, I could not stop moving for more than a few seconds without immediately getting bit several times. I had to walk waving my hands. My biggest fear was having to spend the night in the swamp and being a dessicated raisin by morning. Even so in just a couple of hours by the time I got back to the car I counted over a hundred bites. Considering there are various diseases mosquitoes can carry, a little prevention is worth it.

The other story was climbing Mt. Elbert which is the highest peak in Colorado. I parked at about 10k', got my pack out and started hiking uphill. Treeline was at about 12.5k' and about 4 miles away. I had not packed any DEET because it was Colorado in the mountains and there's never been bad (or any) mosquitoes up there in any of my numerous previous trips. Because I was using my daypack, my emergency kit didn't have my emergency tube of DEET. About a mile from the car I realized I was being swarmed by mosquitoes. As long as I was moving it wasn't too bad, but the second I stopped I was getting bit. I RAN up the mountain to out of the treeline and it wasn't until I was a couple hundred feet above treeline that the mozzies stopped. That was almost 2 hours and over 2000' of elevation gained fast marched with no stopping. Then after making the summit when I got back to treeline I had to run to the car which sounds easier, but running down a mountain is almost as hard as running up.

Since then I bought a crate of the little tubes and every emergency kit in every pack I own has one, no matter where I'm going.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Could you elaborate on the make purchase area ect

CAMPING/HUNTING - Repel 94098 100-Percent, Deet Insect Repellent, 0.475-Ounce Pen Size Pump Spray, | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories

Used sparingly these are 2-3 days worth. I bought a bunch end of season somewhere and it doesn't go bad. I used to have a bunch of the little military squeeze bottles of 95% but used them all up years ago. The 40% is what I use normally, these little tubes are just for the emergency kits.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    MOLESKIN! They work great on blisters and hotspots. If you feel a spot on your feet that is getting hot, stop and put a peice over the hotspot. If you have a blister, 2 methods I have used are 1) cut a hole out of the center around the blister and put on overtop to protect or 2) pop it and moleskin over top of it. Seems to me I preferred the pop it method but it has been years since I have had to do this.

It is very important to be light weight. You can really live off almost nothing. I would bring a pair of zip-off long pants that are synthetic so they quickly dry and the a t shirt of the same material. It is sometimes nice to zip on the pants to walk through the thicker stuff. Also, sometimes it is nice to have long pants/sleeves to keep the sweat in, it actually feels cooler with them on sometimes. If its stupid hot, its just stupid hot and nothings going to change it, but there is a temp range that the long sleeves/pants help.

I like the water filter option over carrying tons of it. Also like the MSR type multifuel camp stoves. Small and lightweight, split it with a buddy. You carry the gas and a water pot, he carries the stove. I like the freeze dried food from gander mountain. it's actually really good.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Need advice from some experienced backpackers.
    First off I do not have experience overnight packing so this will be my first outing. I do have experience in ‘survival” camping, hunting and hiking but it’s always been on sight and weight was never a concern as the trucks only a mile away……I think this is something I am really going to enjoy doing but don’t want to ruin my first outing on account of negligence or not being prepared.

I’m 6'2" and 225lbs as a reference for load carrying.
    We are tackling a 25+/- mile section of the Knobstone trail I would assume at least 2 full days maybe 2.5. The group that is going is very athletic and in good shape. We plan on placing fresh water and maybe some food items at trail heads along the way prior to departing.

I’m looking for advice on load out what to bring what not to bring.

Here's what I'd take for a 3 night hike. I'm assuming you're going to show up at the trail head wearing hiking clothes and boots and socks and such. If you're planning to show up naked, please inform the rest of us of location and time so we can avoid that place. :)

The key here is to have a critical eye towards weight. Everything you take will be carried on your back. Ounces add up.

(I'm going to use REI for all of my links, because you can get all the stuff you need there. Other places might have the same items cheaper...)

Depending on the time of year and the weather,
    1. Sleeping bag or warm clothes for sleeping (avoid down sleeping bags, unless you have a tent and a waterproof stuff sack for the sleeping bag) and a bivy sack. http://www.rei.com/product/794292/rei-minimalist-bivy-sack-regular
    2. One extra shirt, one pair extra socks (Wool socks. Avoid cotton at all costs.)
    3. Extra pair of laces for your hiking boots.
    4. Headlamp: Petzl Zipka 2 LED Headlamp at REI.com
    5. Sleeping pad: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite Sleeping Pad at REI.com
    6. Bug spray. REALLY good bug spray.
    7. Small cook set: Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cookset - Free Shipping at REI.com (Don't forget to take a plastic fork and spoon, too.)
    8: Small stove with fuel: Snow Peak GigaPower Stove with Piezo at REI.com
    9. Two methods by which you can start a fire, if necessary (shouldn't need to) and something to facilitate said fire (cotton ball with a dab of vaseline... some dryer lint... tinder ball... etc.)
    10. Map, compass, signal mirror, multi-tool or knife, rain poncho or jacket, 50 feet of paracord, couple keychain carabiners.
    11 Food: High protein, dense calorie foods. Tuna or chicken, rice or pasta, instant potatoes, oatmeal, etc. If you drink coffee, get a few of the Via packs from Starbucks. Add hot water and you have coffee.
    12: Small first aid kit. Include a lot of ibuprofen, some benadryl, Pepto-bismol TABLETS, any prescription medications needed, some bandaids and guaze, a small roll of moleskin, a small roll of tape, and perhaps a packet of Quick Clot (the Roller Gauze, if you can find it. The Z fold Combat Gauze works, but IMHO the roller gauze is a bit more... substantial. Either one works.)
    13: Note pad and a pencil. Waterproof notepad, ideally: Rite in the Rain Outdoor Journal - Small at REI.com
    14: Water bottle or "Camel Back" bladder.

Optional:

1. Water filter. Not really needed, as you can boil water. But nice to have.
    2. Paperback book for reading at night.
    3. Tent. http://www.rei.com/product/827783/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent
    4. Flip-flop sandals to wear at camp. Feels good to take off the boots after a long day on your feet.
    5. Small bottle of whiskey or rum or such, if that's your thing.
    6. Swiss Army knife.
    7. GPS
    8. Hiking pole(s)
    9. Binoculars, monocle, or camera (get a disposable camera.)
    10. Stuff sack for all the food, so you can hang it at night, keep the critters out of it.

Last edited:

pjt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Watch the pure DEET. Spilled (leaked) some on a truck seat years ago, it ate the vinyl...

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    From lots of experience backpacking multi-day trips. Take ONLY the necessities. No Axe. If it is heavy, leave it. You'll appreciate/enjoy the hike a whole lot more! for a 2 day trip. a Heavy tent is not worth it. Pack a good ENO hammock or simply a tarp. Take minimal clothing and like i said before, only take minimal equipment because in reality most of the trail is less than a couple miles from civilization if you were struggling. Have fun! take a good TOPO map.

I was going to respond but it's already here. In any such outing, "less is more" is the rule.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I like my MSR miniworks. I'm not sure it would filter out "everything", but I have used it on pretty gross warm standing shallow water at monroe with no ill effects. I am thinking about getting a gravity filter (no pumping then), but I have used my miniworks on many trips and no complaints and have a backup in my backup stuff.

Someone else mentioned a headlamp. I really really like headlamps. I used to think they looked stupid and did not give them a chance, but I tried one and they are awesome.

Top Bottom