• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So my trusty Samsung DLP finally crapped out. I need to replace it with something I can hang on a wall that is about 50 inches. I will just use it for netflix and the xbox, I would like to hang this one up and by that I mean have Costco or Bestbuy hang it.

Are 4k tv's too clear? I have seen them in the stores and always think they look funny, it might just be I need to adjust to them, people seem to like them. Also smart tv vs non, I have heard reports that the tv is listening to you when you talk and picking up on key words for advertising, sounds crazy but***, any truth? Anything else I should be thinking about or brands to stay clear of? I would like to be around $500 give or take a bit. Install and brackets extra of course.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    In for some input also. I've read that the 4k can be tricky setting up from the standpoint of getting the sound in sync with the motion of picture? Plus, if my directv is 1080p HD, will that optimize the capability of the 4k?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    50 inch for $500 means that 4k isn't really an option. Unless you know something I don't, your budget just isn't enough.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Why would you need a 4k when your source (cable, OTA, BD) are native 1080p/1080i? Unless your source is 4k (camcorder videos, video games) and your screen is >120" at 13', there's no point in getting one. 50-60' TV will not justify picture quality.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So my trusty Samsung DLP finally crapped out. I need to replace it with something I can hang on a wall that is about 50 inches. I will just use it for netflix and the xbox, I would like to hang this one up and by that I mean have Costco or Bestbuy hang it.

Are 4k tv's too clear? I have seen them in the stores and always think they look funny, it might just be I need to adjust to them, people seem to like them. Also smart tv vs non, I have heard reports that the tv is listening to you when you talk and picking up on key words for advertising, sounds crazy but***, any truth? Anything else I should be thinking about or brands to stay clear of? I would like to be around $500 give or take a bit. Install and brackets extra of course.

The funny look you're talking about might be "soap opera effect" which affects 4K and non-4K TV's. A lot of TV's get this and you have to play around with the settings to turn it off, or at least tone it down. I would research the model you get online to see what ratings and reviews are. Smart TV's are sometimes okay, letting you access a lot of streaming apps like Netflix, though they're usually frustratingly slow. Often you're better served with a Roku or similar type of device which has a decently quick response. I'm being general here as my Sony Bravia TV has Smart capabilities that are pretty responsive, but for some reason we can't get Hulu Plus on it, which means we needed to use another device to get it. I think the TV listening to you issue was a specific brand if I'm not mistaken. When my girlfriend moved in, she had issues with my Samsung DLP, so we picked up a Sony Bravia 60" TV from Walmart, along with one of those chrome and glass entertainment centers that had an adjustable bracket to setup the TV on and we couldn't be happier. We paid a bit more than your budget (the TV was around $750 at that time, but we paid less as my GF worked for Walmart at the time). From another thread on TV's, it sounds like Costco has competitive prices if you have a membership. Good luck!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    The only reason I would look at getting the 4k is because they are not that expensive. I might even dabble in a 3d one for the kids. I'm not very good with money so if a regular tv is $300 to $400 and I can get a 4k or 3d and its $600 to $800 I most likely will. However...... I could buy a few hundred dollars worth of ammo instead and the kids can watch tv like I did growing up, without all this 3d crap.:popcorn:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    The only reason I would look at getting the 4k is because they are not that expensive. I might even dabble in a 3d one for the kids. I'm not very good with money so if a regular tv is $300 to $400 and I can get a 4k or 3d and its $600 to $800 I most likely will. However...... I could buy a few hundred dollars worth of ammo instead and the kids can watch tv like I did growing up, without all this 3d crap.:popcorn:

Then you can take them out to shoot the one that died. Great life lesson in recycling AND it's about as 3D as it gets.... :):

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Honestly, I find 1080p tv sufficient until around 80" or so....I wouldn't waste money on 4k. 4k has limited contents at the moment and the added price to the tv, the quality isn't that noticeable unless you are a foot away.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I have been researching tvs for quite some time. Here is a great article: 4K TV and Ultra HD: Everything you need to know | TechRadar

In a nutshell:

There is not much 4k content, it's 4 X the size of 1080 and that causes media issues (Blu Ray, DVD) games or streaming
    You won't see any difference unless you are sitting very close because your eyes can't distinguish it's not like going from SD (480) to HD 1080
    Basically it's not worth it at this time and I wouldn't buy it until it's about the only option

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    4K is probably only worth it for computers. And even then, you need a graphics card with a lot of memory. I went with 2560x1440 which is the new sweet spot for monitors.

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    I'll take a bigger and better reviewed 1080p vs a lower end 4k. Always nice to future proof but taking advantage of 4k is a long ways away, at least if you are staying in the reasonably priced category.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

No one "needs" a 4k TV. I value picture quality and color representation over pixel count. At 10 feet I think you need an 80" - 90" TV before you will start to see the difference between a 1080 and a 4k tv. More distance or a smaller size TV will reduce the need for more pixels. The funny look of TVs is caused by image "enhancing" gimmicks and can usually be turned off. 3d was also a gimmick, I don't think there are any new ones being produced. Smart TVs are usually painfully slow and difficult to navigate. Additionally they can be rendered useless if the content providers need to make changes to the way they deliver content. A secondary box to do smart tv type things will have the advantage of customer support that actually cares that the features work instead of adding the features to a checklist on the side of marketing material.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So update for those who care.. I ended up buying a 55 inch Samsung Curved 4k tv from best buy on sale for like $1,199

Top Bottom