• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I am looking for a gun safe, I need it to keep about 5 long guns. I have seen some at Dicks that have shelves on one side and slots for guns on the other. I would like it to have the 3 steel bolts to the lock. The biggest requirement would be the cost. It needs to be less then $600 delivered. Any suggestions?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Get it bigger that one you need now.
    You dont want to get a new safe anytime you buy a few more guns.
    For 5 guns get a 24 gun safe or the biggest one you can buy.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Johnson Safes. Site supporter I think. Do not have one myself but you will find many on here that speak very highly of them. they are more expensive but the better safes always are.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    While Johnson Safe Company IS a top notch safe manufacturer, (and one day when I can save up the cash, I'll have one too...) the OP did stipulate a very low price point.

If you need to get a safe ASAP, look at Costco or Sam's Club. They have a few models that are around $600. They're going to be acceptable for storage and probably have a minor fire rating. They're not American made safes, but they're you best bet for a safe in that price range.

One word of advice, unless you have no other options, stay away from Stack-On brand safes. Personally, I've had bad luck with their products. Mine was very low quality and the locks broke, making it a storage closet, not a storage safe.

Here's one

Here's another

One More

Good luck !

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I am at the same place has you I can only afford what I can,Bigger and better would be best but no safe at all is worst.Take a look at lowes they have one for $400.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I did some more looking and found that tractor supply had a cannon for $600 that doubled the size of lowes 400 safe.It might not be the top of the line but it's solid and I feel better already.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bigger and better would be best but no safe at all is worst

I am at the same place has you I can only afford what I can,Bigger and better would be best but no safe at all is worst.Take a look at lowes they have one for $400.

Another way to look at it:

I do not agree with the above title.
    Here's the thing..If you buy a low priced safe-READ LOW SECURITY-you actually make it easier for a thief to make off with your firearms.
    Most all of your guns are in a nice storage cabinet, all set for the picking-the thief does NOT have to spend the time looking around for them.
    Any heavy duty thief, or two, with a long+a short pry bar will be into your "Economy" safe in a manner of minutes, or less.
    Google up videos. on safes/thieves and it may surprise you.

This IS the reason that I have held back on a safe purchase until I could buy my Big Johnson.
    With this train of thought, IMO it is better to hide your firearms in various locations of your house than to place them in a "Storage Cabinet", for easy pickings...
    Just my 2 cents worth+another way to look at it...Bill.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    while the above is true, i do not think that hiding your guns in different spots out of safe is a great idea. (have had 2 of mine stolen that way at my old apartment)

not everyone is looking for a theft proof safe. while it helps to have a big theft proof safe, a safe with some fire protection is also a good idea.

Half of my safe is filled with stuff other then guns. It is also in a hard to access place meaning you wont be able to get a 10' pry bar in there to get leverage and pop her open. But I also have layers of security as well. Not the top of the line stuff by any means, but monitored home alarm, cameras, dogs, safes and watchful neighbors...

just something else to keep in mind.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    that small pry bar in the video would not work at the angle they are using to pry my safe open. the large pry bar would cause them more trouble. plus with it being bolted to the floor they would have to be on top of each other or in a way that would not give them as much leverage. but thats just my situation.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    that small pry bar in the video would not work at the angle they are using to pry my safe open. the large pry bar would cause them more trouble. plus with it being bolted to the floor they would have to be on top of each other or in a way that would not give them as much leverage. but thats just my situation.
    Yes, placement as well as bolting it to a floor/wall can help. There are other ways to make things more difficult for a thief too. A method highlighted in a thread about shtf and firearm confiscation seems pretty good too, it was suggested that one keep a "good" safe full of the good stuff and hidden while a cheap metal cabinet full of the hipoints and brycos gets put in plain view.

HollowPoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    As stated, get the biggest and best you can afford. You will be able to put more guns in it in the future. Keep in mind you may also want to put other valuables in it such as a nice camera, collectable items, and etc.

Top Bottom