• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a water leak underground. I think it is in the "exit" pipe from my house because my water bill doesn't reflect a rate change that a leak would cause. Are there any plumbers on INGO who could help a brother out? Ideally, I would like to find someone who could help me identify the source of the leak (ie: with a camera) so that I can fix it myself (I'm all about NOT spending big money on this;)). Any help appreciated! :ingo:

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    What are your indicators that you have a leak? If it is your "exit" line as you call it...thats the sewer line, so its more than just water you will be dealing with. (Im assuming you are on city sewer, not septic) How old is your house? Do you know if you have clay tile or PVC? I believe most codes for any newer construction call for a cleanout to have been installed. Do you have one?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What are your indicators that you have a leak? If it is your "exit" line as you call it...thats the sewer line, so its more than just water you will be dealing with. (Im assuming you are on city sewer, not septic) How old is your house? Do you know if you have clay tile or PVC? I believe most codes for any newer construction call for a cleanout to have been installed. Do you have one?

The indicators I'm seeing are a persistently swampy area that didn't use to be that way...and it's on the higher part of the grade. The only indicator for me that it would be the sewer line is that my water bill doesn't reflect a change in rate since I discovered what I believe to be the leak. There is no odor or anything to indicate a sewer leak. It may well be water for all I know. I am on city water and city sewer and the sewer should be PVC as the house was built in 1985. I have looked high and low for a cleanout, but I can't find one and I don't remember ever seeing one since I've lived there.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    INGO OC yard dig-up party?? :rockwoot:

That'd be cool with me (and the neighbors) but I have no problem doing any necessary digging myself. I just need to know where to dig!

This wouldn't be my first rodeo with plumbing repair, but it would be the first time that I have had to locate, and excavate, before said repair.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Where is your water meter located? Is it on the inside or outside in a meter pit? Depending on which water company you are with it may take one or two months to register higher than normal usage on your bill due to a leak. I would look at the water meter and see if the dial is spinning while there is no water usage in the home to determine if there is a leak before or after the meter. If it is spinning while no usage in the home you may have a leak after the meter.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Just throwing this out there...you don't have any bushes anywhere near the line leaving the house do you? I have a cleanout on my line that a fool who lived here before put a nice big bush right over.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    We had to replace our clay line on our 100 old house in Noblesville with PVC. Maple tree roots had penetrated the entire line and it was FUBARed.

If I recollect correctly, RotoRooter sent a guy out and didnt charge to send a camera through the line. He then followed up with a metal detector and picked up where the head was traveling to show us the path of the line to the city sewer. There might have been a small charge for the camera work, figuring they would make it up on the repair job. Their estimate was ridiculously high so we went with someone else. At least we knew what we were dealing with and which way the pipe lay at that point.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Where is your water meter located? Is it on the inside or outside in a meter pit? Depending on which water company you are with it may take one or two months to register higher than normal usage on your bill due to a leak. I would look at the water meter and see if the dial is spinning while there is no water usage in the home to determine if there is a leak before or after the meter. If it is spinning while no usage in the home you may have a leak after the meter.

The meter pit is out by the street. I have checked the dial inside and it doesn't budge when we are not actively using water. The swampy are has been this way since early spring....
    Just throwing this out there...you don't have any bushes anywhere near the line leaving the house do you? I have a cleanout on my line that a fool who lived here before put a nice big bush right over.
    There are no bushes on that side of the house. I landscaped the area pretty well a few years ago and tilled up a good portion of the yard and I never saw a cleanout over there....

My original estimation was that it was the water line that was leaking, but the lack of a rate increase or moving meter dial kinda made me doubt that it was the water.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    We had to replace our clay line on our 100 old house in Noblesville with PVC. Maple tree roots had penetrated the entire line and it was FUBARed.

If I recollect correctly, RotoRooter sent a guy out and didnt charge to send a camera through the line. He then followed up with a metal detector and picked up where the head was traveling to show us the path of the line to the city sewer. There might have been a small charge for the camera work, figuring they would make it up on the repair job. Their estimate was ridiculously high so we went with someone else. At least we knew what we were dealing with and which way the pipe lay at that point.

Yes, I'm afraid that the estimate here is going to be ridiculous as well, that's why I'm asking here for advice:ingo: Like I said, I'm not scared of doing the actual repair, I just lack the skills to diagnose and locate.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It is very odd that the cleanout is not visible. If you have no blockage or backing up in your sewer line then it may be just cracked or have some small breaks that haven't allowed roots or dirt in yet.

I am guessing this is a new issue with you and not one that has been around for a long time but I have an issue like yours as well. In my back yard there is an underground spring that causes a marshy area after a good rain.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Definitely NOT a drainage issue. My backyard slopes from the point of concern straight back to the property line. The point of concern is the highest point of the grade. The soggiest part of the area is right next to the house so I'm guessing that the house has settled and cracked a line. I thought about the spring as well but I have no way to tell if it is or not. If it were a spring, I doubt that this issue would have suddenly popped up.

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    where are you located? how far from valparaiso. i am a licenced plumber and currently not working so if not to far i could prolly take a look at it for you. whatever you do stay away from roto rooter theyll charge you a kidney and your first born

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    here in lies the issue water follows the pathe of least resistance. dont mean to alarm you but the water could be coming from anywhere under the slab and that was the first point it showed up. in terms of a cleanout 9 times out of ten on a slab house it is in the wall right behind the toliet because the generally run the main vent stack right up behind it

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the main vent stack is on the back side of the house, which is a lower grade than the side where the problem is. I had Holey Moley locate the water and it's right where the problem lies.

gregtheplumber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    valparaiso
    is there a bathroom inside the house right by where you see the water outside? what i would reccomend is dig right outside the house follw the foundation down see if that is where your sewer is or see if you see water running out from under the foundation.if the water meter is in the house the box outside may just be the shutoff valve for your water main coming from the street. your water line could go into the house right where it is wet and that could be broken.

Top Bottom