• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    In all the years I tried I only found 1 processor I could trust. My advice is to buy a grinder from cabela's and learn how to do it yourself...processing has gotten so expensive that it saves a ton of money to do it yourself.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've done my own for the past 4 years.. it's amazing how much more meat I get now out of smaller deer than the bigger ones I had processed.. For the cost of a 2 mora knives, a foods saver, grinder, and rolls of bags each year.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Process your own.
    I do most of the time, but then again, I've made good-friend status with a local processor that will usually give me breaks, but the best thing is that I can process my own, then take him in some meat, and he will turn it into summer sausage, hot Italian breakfast sausage, burger...

I agree.
    You will get much more meat if you do it yourself.

Throwsstones

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Morgan county
    I have property in Jefferson Co that I hunt on and have used Andy's. Their on a farm just outside of Canaan. I didn't get out last year so don't know if they were still running. If they are I'll probably use them. I'll try and find their number for you.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Those of you that do your own: do you have a safe (ie temperature) place to hang, or do you cut and refrigerate immediately ?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    This time of year, it gets cut right away and mostly ground.. As the cooler weather hits, I would wrap them in a fine mesh and let them hang a few days and then cut them up in to chops and such..

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Those of you that do your own: do you have a safe (ie temperature) place to hang, or do you cut and refrigerate immediately ?
    This has been my procedure for a few years now, no matter what the temps are.
    I try to skin and quarter or debone as soon as possible. The skinning process is much easier when the critter is still warm . I place all the meat in a cooler on top of ice with the drain open so the meat doesn't sit in water. Then I can process as time permits. I always try to get the loins and backstraps wrapped and in the freezer as quick as I can to prevent loss of meat due to drying out.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Here is a product that I use and love. It is like a portable cooler.
    I needed something to cool down a deer from early season and keep it cool while traveling.
    This has been one of those things that I NEVER regretted buying.
    I aged a deer in it for 4 days before butchering it. Switched bottles of there cooler gel every 24 hours and it stayed 38-40 degrees inside for the full 4 days.
    We bought the coolers also and we can buy ice cream at the grocery store and drive home which is over an hour away and it is still frozen solid when we get it home. We have bought freezer items at the grocery store and stopped and eat and did other running in 90 degree summer weather and 3 hours later when we get home still frozen.
    I have a good processor now that I use but I still like the bag as I don't have to worry about the deer I shot at the end of shooting hours and don't find it and get it drug out and back to the house until 10pm. I just throw it in the bag until I get to the processor when they are open.

Trophy Bag Kooler?

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    I have property in Jefferson Co that I hunt on and have used Andy's. Their on a farm just outside of Canaan. I didn't get out last year so don't know if they were still running. If they are I'll probably use them. I'll try and find their number for you.

I think andy passed away and the place sold.. I only live a few miles from his old place..

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing

I process my own deer. After I skin and quarter the deer I put all the meat in a couple Coleman coolers with water and ice. Change the water and ice daily for about three days then hang the meat to dry overnight the day before you plan to do the final processing. For that overnight hanging any temperature in the low 50's is fine, which any garage/barn should be this time of year. Try this once and I guarantee you won't process your deer any other way. It gives you the best flavor and most tender meat you've ever had!

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis

Depends on outside temp. If its around 40 I may pack the chest cavity with ice. If its 35 or lower i just let 'er hang. I like to let them hang about 24 hours before processing. If its warmer than 45 I normally do it right away though. Its just whats always worked for us.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    When I first started hunting I used Napoleon locker and they always did a good job . I switched after a couple years and used Wayne's meats in Milan . I was happy with them as well . The processing was about the same , but Wayne's made better summer sausage and snack sticks .

I process my own now , but know several people that use both Wayne's and Napoleon . I don't think you would be disappointed with either place .

Top Bottom