• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    Only 45 minutes from here to Lafayette. I took a Colt 1911 to a store after calling to request installation of night sights. He said "no problem" and four days later called and said "no way." Anyone care to recommend a place that can get t his done for me? It is possible he is afraid of marring the finish, as the gun is blue and new. Never tried this myself and at my advanced age and eyesight, probably not a good idea?! All replies greatly appreciated!
    Scott

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the old sights are really stuck and the finish is really nice, the guy might be afraid of leaving marks forcing it apart. I have actually machined a slot through the existing sight to relieve pressure, but that is a long slow process plus the old sight becomes shavings. With staked on front sights, the fear can be how much material will be damaged getting the old one out, if the slide hole is not meaty enough, the new sight may not be stable.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Four Guns on Earl Ave. usually work quickly on 1911s. Ask for Steve. They installed sights on my RIA in one day, $30. Also Applied Ballistics has done right by me on my AR.

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    Thanks so much for the replies guys. I will give Saltzman and Four Guns a call on Monday. I do think it's a bit of a process as Leo indicated. The guy I gave it to called Colt and they recommended he not try, but obviously they're in the business of creating business. I will let you know what I learn from the other two and how it comes out. The gun is a Talo Royal Government. Finish is exquisite. You can swim in the blue on that piece. Again, much obliged!

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    Made a run to Lafayette today and met Steve at Four Guns. Very accommodating and personable. Thanks for the tip and I will have her back by this weekend! Hats off to the folks on this forum.

Top Bottom