ABC F/A-18 Crashes

g-cvr-120406-crashed-jet-1030a.photoblog600.jpg

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Crazy stuff.. I've been watching different reports casually at work. It looks like they found the pilot and rio and they are okay at a local hospital.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Seems it happened right after take off about a mile from the airport. The jet was dumping fuel and nose up before the impact. The pilots probably did everything they could before bailing out at the last second. Someone got a pic of the jet going down.
    original.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Crazy stuff.. I've been watching different reports casually at work. It looks like they found the pilot and rio and they are okay at a local hospital.
    It must not have had enough power to manuever. They usually get them out to sea before they punch out. Pilot and B/N are said to have non-life threatening injuries. So far only one reported injury on the ground, smoke inhalation. Hope that is all. Very dangerous situation.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To many buildings were destroyed for no one to have been at home. News just said authorities have gotten a list of tenants from the property managers to help with the search.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    To many buildings were destroyed for no one to have been at home. News just said authorities have gotten a list of tenants from the property managers to help with the search.

I really hope, and pray that no one was killed or put into anything serious. We will find out soon...

In related news: I'm on Google+ and this kid started running his mouth about our military in a rather punkish way. It's not the worst I've seen but it's just frustrating seeing people who are kept completely safe and out of harms way run their mouth.

Looking at pictures of a F-18 that crashed into an apartment complex..... why the **** does our military train pilots over populated areas? They're from Virginia Beach, why not train your pilots over the ocean?

I've responded a few times, and it frustrates me, I ended my last one with the following.

They train over my house too, and I'm a good 30+ miles from the base here. They also do live fire exercises and other firing to the point I can feel the ground shake. We've been down and watched and I think it's pretty interesting that they let us get involved, from a distance. I honestly don't see the issue, because everyone knows there are risks.

The fire department and medical teams in the areas are trained as in what to do in response to when someone goes drastically wrong. They hope for nothing bad to happen, but they're trained for it.

And honestly, flying the extra time, to get to an unpopulated area, lake, ocean or desert is a waste of precious fuel.

Take my opinion for just being my two cents. I'm not attempting to attack your point of view

I figured throwing in the last line was a nice chance to stave off any attacks on me considering I support what our military does...

(If you want a link to what all he has said, it's here... linkylink... Forewarning him and the other guy are a bit harsh with some language.)

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Reminds me of the crash near the Indianapolis Airport (I believe it was still Weir Cook at the time) about 20-25 or so years ago. The one here was far worse.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Reminds me of the crash near the Indianapolis Airport (I believe it was still Weir Cook at the time) about 20-25 or so years ago. The one here was far worse.

Yes I remember that well. An A-7d Corsair 2 Crashed into the Ramada Inn back in 1987. I only lived about 1.5 miles from there when it happened. It was very tragic. I think it killed like 9 people.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    WOW... brings back some bad memory's when a C130 crashed into a hotel down here in Evansville.

Hope every one is OK..

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Seems it happened right after take off about a mile from the airport. The jet was dumping fuel and nose up before the impact. The pilots probably did everything they could before bailing out at the last second. Someone got a pic of the jet going down.
    original.jpg

Anybody able to look at the embedded data in the picture? That picture would have been taken going eastbound on 264 towards the oceanfront with Oceana on the right side of the interstate. I'm almost positive that plane is coming in to land, not taking off. The plane that crashed taking off would have been going northeast taking off, not west. Basically the planes going the wrong direction for it to be the one that crashed.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Anybody able to look at the embedded data in the picture? That picture would have been taken going eastbound on 264 towards the oceanfront with Oceana on the right side of the interstate. I'm almost positive that plane is coming in to land, not taking off. The plane that crashed taking off would have been going northeast taking off, not west. Basically the planes going the wrong direction for it to be the one that crashed.

I just found the pic on one of the news sites so I don't know the details.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Catielynnb, maybe you should ask the idiot why there was a naval/air base 1st, and idiots build near them.

I hate it when people move into cheap areas that are cheap cause of the noise, then complain about the noise.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My dad was stationed at NAS Boca Chica down in Key West many moons ago and there was a trailer park at the end of their main runway. Enough people complained about the noise that they weren't allowed to takeoff over the trailer park anymore.

Occassionally a marine pilot would light the fire and pull up almost straight up right at the end of the runway so as not to overfly the trailer park.

Really cool to see and I'm sure it satisfied the intent of not taking off in that direction but not the spirit of the order. Like I said though, really cool to watch.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Catielynnb, maybe you should ask the idiot why there was a naval/air base 1st, and idiots build near them.

I hate it when people move into cheap areas that are cheap cause of the noise, then complain about the noise.

Thats a big problem in the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake area. I've spent 27 of my 33 years there.

Oceana was established in 1940 in the middle of what was rural princess anne county, surrounded by nothing but farmers fields. The city of Virginia beach became a "city" in the early 60s, from there they've built 100s of thousands of homes around Oceana. People buy the homes knowing they are buying next to a master jet base, and STILL complain about jet noise. Seriously, common sense people. If you don't like jet noise, don't buy a house next to a jet base. If you don't like cold weather, don't buy a house in michigan. Its truly ridiculous. Oceana is Virginia beachs largest employer,(50K+ civis) if they pulled out their economy and housing market would crash. Houses are far from cheap, a house that is 100K here is 300K there. Overall that area has about 500K military, with their BAH it keeps prices up.

Top Bottom