• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    One interesting thing I've noticed with Wolf black box 5.45x39 in my Krink is that you get a few rounds per mag that seem way more powerful than the rest of them. The difference is very noticeable in sound and fireball coming out of the barrel. It is basically equivalent to shooting .45ACP 5 or 6 rounds in a row, then all of a sudden a .44 magnum goes off. I have not seen this in 7.62x39.

I took some friends shooting on NYE that had very limited experience, and this happened to the first guy who was shooting the krink. 5 or 6 rounds of boom... then BOOM! He stopped shooting and asked me (with a big grin) if it was supposed to do that??? haha

I don't know what the deal is, all I can guess is that some of the 5.45 casings are overloaded on powder.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Wolf is 100 times better than some of the old Norinco ammo from years ago, some of the Norinco had so much coating on it rounds would come out of the box stuck together and have to be scraped smooth before I could shoot it.

I have used Wolf in my 1911 once in awhile and it shoots okay, it is what it is plinking and blasting ammo.

(Not that I can afford too much "Blasting" these days)

Good vid, thanks

Stu

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    What do you mean Wolf Ammo is not made of wolves, jk. Its good ammo, my Ruger P95 eats that stuff up and loves it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Good job!

People that actually shoot their guns know Russian ammo works just fine.

so because my opinion is differant means i dont shoot my guns? i am at the range at least twice a week, if not more like three. ask anyone that knows me.

i HAVE broken extractors, and had stuck cases, and ripped off rims w/ steel ammo. have never not once had any issues w/ brass cased. i will not and dont reccomend steel cased ammo through an ar or a 1911. i will occasionally run some of my dads through my glock. my ak never sees anything but steel cased.

guess i need so shoot my guns so i can have the same opinion as everyone else that just wants to agree w/ the video.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    i HAVE broken extractors, and had stuck cases, and ripped off rims w/ steel ammo. have never not once had any issues w/ brass cased. i will not and dont reccomend steel cased ammo through an ar or a 1911. i will occasionally run some of my dads through my glock. my ak never sees anything but steel cased.
    Actually, I would have the rifle checked out. It sounds to me like it's over gassed. While it may cycle with brass cased ammo, it's still likely placing excessive stress on the extractor as its still pulling the spent case too early on extraction.

A rifle that's running properly will not have issues with steel cased ammo.

I have quite a few Colts including a M16 that gets nothing but Wolf put through it and has for 12+ years. As you can see in the video, the two Colts I was shooting show no signs of issues with extraction and don't leave so much as a faint mark on the case. I can't ever remember having an issue with Wolf with any rifle I own. Others will tell you the same.

But there are people that have problems with Wolf, as I mention in the video. But to blame the ammo is misguided. If you can't shoot Wolf, you need to get your rifle checked out, that or just don't use it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Actually, I would have the rifle checked out. It sounds to me like it's over gassed. While it may cycle with brass cased ammo, it's still likely placing excessive stress on the extractor as its still pulling the spent case too early on extraction.

A rifle that's running properly will not have issues with steel cased ammo.

I have quite a few Colts including a M16 that gets nothing but Wolf put through it and has for 12+ years. As you can see in the video, the two Colts I was shooting show no signs of issues with extraction and don't leave so much as a faint mark on the case. I can't ever remember having an issue with Wolf with any rifle I own. Others will tell you the same.

But there are people that have problems with Wolf, as I mention in the video. But to blame the ammo is misguided. If you can't shoot Wolf, you need to get your rifle checked out, that or just don't use it.

i doubt being overgassed as the cause. while problems w/ wolf may be few and far between there are more problems w/ wolf than other types of ammo. my problems came of the course of 7 or 8 years.

perhaps they are not 100% "myths" and might actually be based in some factual information that you just dont have the same problems with.

just because you post a you tube vid showing you shooting steel cased ammo talking about how you have never had any problems, and giving a believable explenation as to why steel cased ammo will not hurt your gun, does not mean that everyone elses results will be identicle.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    After 4k+ rounds of Wolf ammo through our old AK, we had ZERO ammunition errors. We had about 4 feeding issues, and all of them were related to the windup 75 rd drum that we failed to wind up enough.

I'm convinced it's good stuff.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    i doubt being overgassed as the cause.
    What do you think the problem is?

If rounds are sticking or you're seeing extractor marks on the case, what other possible cause do you suspect?

perhaps they are not 100% "myths" and might actually be based in some factual information that you just dont have the same problems with.
    I do know a few facts from using Wolf for some 15 years in a WIDE variety of firearms. If it's black and loads itself, I've likely owned it... and fired Wolf through it.

I know for a fact Wolf works in (at least the ones I've owned) SL8's, HK93's, Colt AR15's, SCAR's, AR180's, FS2000's, AK's, Galil's, AR70's, FNC's, AUG's, Mini 14's, and a few others I won't bother listing for the sake of brevity.

How do I know? Because I've personally owned these rifles and fired Wolf through them without issue.

What does it tell me when a minority of people have issues with the ammo? It tells me there's something wrong with that persons firearm which prohibits it from firing Wolf ammo reliably. If Wolf was defective, the majority of people would have a problem with it.

You say Wolf is more problematic for people than other types of ammo. Can you cite any solid evidence of this or is it just your gut feeling? I've seen no data collected from any source that would either confirm or deny your claims. What I do know is that Wolf sells a lot of ammo and that ammo gets run through all sorts of guns. There's a good chance the majority of shooters out there have at one time fired Wolf through their guns. Will there be reported problems? Sure. There are with everything.

I've read about guns that don't like Winchester White Box. Is that a fault of Winchester or is that a fault of the firearm? I've never owned a firearm that wouldn't shoot it reliably, but I read all sorts of stories by people blaming the ammo for their firearms issues. Does Winchester have more or less problems with their economy line than Wolf does?

What I also know is that I wouldn't own a rifle that couldn't cycle Wolf ammo. Why? Because I like to shoot. I also like to buy new things, not including ammo. I would rather buy a case of Wolf for $189 vs. $300 for the next cheapest alternative that isn't steel cased and take that $110 savings and put it towards my next firearm.

If you don't want to shoot Wolf because you have one of those firearms in the minority that can't cycle it, I understand. But I wouldn't issue a sweeping condemnation of the ammo any more than I would Blazer, WWB, or other economy line ammo (not that you have).

Top Bottom