My Veterinerian now Carries; Thanked Me...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been OCing into our vet's office for about a year (we have 3 dogs and visit quite a bit). Every time I go in there our vet always strikes up a conversation about guns. Last time I was in there he thanked me and told me he bought a Ruger LCR-X and he and his daughter took the NRA Basic Pistol Course together. After telling me he went to Don's range to practice I told him of some other ranges he might like better. He visited Don's around midday when it was not busy but I cautioned him about the place.

If we all want to really make a difference, this is how it's done. One person at a time. Oh, and I don't think this would have happened if I was CCing... :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Bah. It was hilarious. I've had to euthanized 4 animals in the last few years (on of them my dearest companion for 13 years) and it's ridiculous what they charge for the service.

It's just my opinion but if you love your dog you should be committed enough to do it yourself if it's at all possible. In my mind subbing out your dirty work is indecent, especially if the dirty work is to lovingly betray your trusting friend.

I have had to do it myself and it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine falsely isolating myself from the grief by having a stranger do it for me. it should be done by the person who loves the dog most.

Ymmv

(yes, it was both callous and funny)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Moderators, please close this thread. I started it to relate my experience influencing a professional acquaintance of mine to begin carrying. If this is all the better we at INGO can do maybe two weeks off wasn't enough for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Then take your next dog or and shoot it when the time comes.

Relax. No offense was meant I am sure. Yes, it sucks losing a member of the family. Especially the furry ones. Dont lash out over a bit of dark humor. After all, vets havent always had fancy drugs to do the deed. High speed lead injections were the norm for quite a while.

I too have had to shoot a beloved pet to euthanize. It was in the middle of a snowstorm...at 11pm... blocked roads, etc. I was not going to let the animal suffer overnight or risk my life trying to get to a 24hr vet 20 miles away. It sucked BIG TIME as I was just a teenager and it was hard to do. I also had to have my vet put my boxer down several months ago. It sucks. I still miss that drooling goofball so I feel your pain.

We're all friends here, so relax.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's just my opinion but if you love your dog you should be committed enough to do it yourself if it's at all possible. In my mind subbing out your dirty work is indecent, especially if the dirty work is to lovingly betray your trusting friend.

I have had to do it myself and it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine falsely isolating myself from the grief by having a stranger do it for me. it should be done by the person who loves the dog most.

Ymmv
    If I loved my pet? Betraying a trusting friend? Geez, I thought I was the one with the mommy parts around here. It's a animal. I'm pretty sure he doesn't say to himself, "Oh, thank goodness, 88GT is taking me out to the back 40 to put a bullet in my brain. I just couldn't bear to live with the knowledge that she paid someone else to do it with a needle. A needle." Newsflash: there's no insulation from the grief no matter which way the deed gets done.

I'm no stranger to taking care of business, but unless and until the discharge of firearms within Marion County becomes legal, I'm stuck with the needle, since the other methods would most likely get me arrested for cruelty to animals.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I loved my pet? Betraying a trusting friend? Geez, I thought I was the one with the mommy parts around here. It's a animal. I'm pretty sure he doesn't say to himself, "Oh, thank goodness, 88GT is taking me out to the back 40 to put a bullet in my brain. I just couldn't bear to live with the knowledge that she paid someone else to do it with a needle. A needle." Newsflash: there's no insulation from the grief no matter which way the deed gets done.

I'm no stranger to taking care of business, but unless and until the discharge of firearms within Marion County becomes legal, I'm stuck with the needle, since the other methods would most likely get me arrested for cruelty to animals.

As long as this thread is off the rails I'll keep playing... You talk the talk but do you walk the walk? Just say the animal was trying to bite you. Or take it out to the country and shoot it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its only off the rails because YOU chose to derail it instead of letting a joke be a joke and letting it go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

Yes it's an animal. So am I. My dog is my best friend, as were the others before her.

Go ahead with the needle..... There's many ways to skin a cat.

And stuff your "newsflash". Your "it's an animal" comment, tells where your head is at. Yours is a common sentiment and I'm not saying it's not valid. What I am saying is that while my dog is indeed an animal, she is also very much more.

edit- Um, err..... Perhaps "stuff your "newsflash" is a bit harsher looking than it was meant. Sorry 88GT, I mean no offense. (I shouldn't talk tough around the ladies)

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have been OCing into our vet's office for about a year (we have 3 dogs and visit quite a bit). Every time I go in there our vet always strikes up a conversation about guns. Last time I was in there he thanked me and told me he bought a Ruger LCR-X and he and his daughter took the NRA Basic Pistol Course together. After telling me he went to Don's range to practice I told him of some other ranges he might like better. He visited Don's around midday when it was not busy but I cautioned him about the place.

If we all want to really make a difference, this is how it's done. One person at a time. Oh, and I don't think this would have happened if I was CCing... :D

First of all, good for you. I've converted a couple of people in the last year to gun owners, who had previously never shot a gun. Still working on converting them to carriers, but one step at a time. The first step is responsible gun ownership and to being a responsible carrier of a handgun when they feel comfortable with that idea.

It's just my opinion but if you love your pet you should be committed enough to do it yourself if it's at all possible. In my mind subbing out your dirty work is indecent, especially if the dirty work is to lovingly betray your trusting friend.

I have had to do it myself and it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine falsely isolating myself from the grief by having a stranger do it for me. it should be done by the person who loves the pet most.

Ymmv

(yes, it was both callous and funny)

FIFY ;)

I would never let a pet of mine be put down without me. When I had my cat put down 4 years ago, I stayed in the room and held him as he was put down. I hated it with everything in me, but he was in pain and it was his time. It was the best option, but still hurt like hell. I like to think that at least I was there holding him when he slipped away. Couldn't imagine if I'd let a stranger who didn't care take him away.

Top Bottom