My Son's First Time with a real rifle, and an AAR of the Cricket rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So my 9 year old has recently shown enough maturity to overcome my wife's concerns about him learning to shoot a real rifle (as opposed to air rifle). So today we went off to the range to give him a chance to learn the basics on a .22lr cricket rifle and work up to a 10/22 if possible. (The cricket was intended for his little sisters and the 10/22 is the LTR that I use for Appleseed.)

The day was quite imperfect for training. The rain was coming down pretty hard and steady and made me scared to go to Martinsville as the range gets cut off by water rather easily making a wasted trip, or worse a trapped set of shooters.

So we made the longer trek to Riley (45 minutes) and I hoped the weather would get better and the boy would not use up all his patience in the drive. When we got there the rain had subsided some and by the time we were ready to shoot there was a break in the rain.

Riley has a great 25 yard setup with a new sand filled berm that was perfect for us to plink at. To test the rifle I setup at 25 yards and tried the first shot from the cricket to test the sights and function of the rifle. For those unfamiliar with the cricket series, they are a single shot bolt action with a manual cocking knob. In other words, to shoot it you have to stuff the .22lr round in the chamber (it does not have a feed ramp), close the bolt hard (to get the extractor around the rim), slide the bold handle down, and then pull the cocking knob end of the bolt back all before the rifle can be fired. After firing the rifle extracts like a normal bolt action (the more energetic you are the farther the brass goes).

You can see the cocking handle here at the back of the bolt:

pink2201a.jpg

The sights are a crude apeture setup that I had little hope in, but I loaded up a Remington cyclone round and fired at the center diamond on a shoot & see target. The recoil was light, as was sound, and amazingly enough the round hit the red center diamond at the very center of the target .25" to the left - breaking the actual red. I was stunned! It was more than accurate enough, it frankly was scary accurate.

So I setup the boy not far from the target and reviewed the safety rules twice. Then we put the first round into the target, or better put - next to the target (but within the berm).

Here he is looking at his results:

boy4.jpg

We went over sight alignment and he began getting in regular hits. As soon as he had the swing of things he began doing the whole load/cock/fire/eject process:

boy1.jpg

boy2.jpg

He even came up with his own modified sitting position:

boy3.jpg

Soon the skies opened up again and we had to improvise a better sitting position:

boy7.jpg

(Yes, that is an umbrella shoved down the back of his shirt!)

He got really good at the whole process and near the end suddenly began missing alot but hitting the same point on the berm. We talked and I found out that he simply liked watching the sand crater far more than a hole appear on the target! Go figure...

Anyways, he really got going on the cricket (sorry about the low quality of the phone camera - it misses him finally keeping his finger off the trigger until sights are on the target):

In the end I did switch him over to the 10/22 for a few magazines and he loved the rapid fire and put a lot of holes in the target. Soon the rain chased us back to the covered line and I took a few minutes with the cricket to myself. I must say that it is easily as accurate as my 10/22 and likely far more. I really need to get a web sling mounted on it ASAP.

Eventually the rain was too much and we had done enough so it was time to go home.

The boy did really well and only broke 180 once. He did well with the mechanics and had a decent eye for hitting what he wanted (even if that was sand instead of target). We had a great father/son day. And most of all, he got some reward for his hard work and growing maturity.

All in all, a great way to spend the day, even in the rain.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    shooting

that is pretty cool. i can remember my grandfather teaching me to shoot his .22 and me teaching my son, who recently outshot me. i have just begun teaching my 7 year old grandson to shoot a bb gun. memories that will last a lifetime

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sounds like a great day to me. Thanks for sharing. Those little rifles are very accurate.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That Cricket comes in colors other than pink, right?

I've been looking at different rifles for my boy (he's like 14mos) figuring to get one cheaply now, and all I can find are pink stocks.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That Cricket comes in colors other than pink, right?

I've been looking at different rifles for my boy (he's like 14mos) figuring to get one cheaply now, and all I can find are pink stocks.
    Yes it comes in colors other than pink lol. My daughter(now 12)has a wooden stock one(model 238).They have them in many colors and stock configurations.
    CrickettRifle, Crickett.com, Keystone Sporting Arms, Inc. Davey Crickett, My first rifle, New with safety lock, .22 rifle, Davey Crickett kids club, rifles, accessories, scopes Keystone Sporting Arms, Inc., Davey Crickett, My first rifle, New with sa

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    That Cricket comes in colors other than pink, right?.

Yes, and you can even buy replacement stocks which my wife would love me to do as she HATES the princess pink.

My son does not care one way or another about the color so long as the rifle goes BANG.

My middle daughter, who picked it out for, loves the pink color and cannot wait for her turn to go out to the range.

Personally, I think the color is funny as h*ll. Why? Because when I grew up guns were for guys and a few tomboy girls. Now guns are for anyone, even princesses.

I like the idea of princesses being able to shoot the dragons of this world and not have to wait on or become a knight to do so!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on your son's first time shooting. I just got back into shooting last November and it was the first time shooting for both of my sons (11 and 19 at the time). We have been shooting every weekend since last fall with only two exceptions. It really has brought the 3 of us together more than anything else has.

In January we began buying Mosin's and the youngest was very tentative at first. He liked the .22 a lot and the first time he tried the Mosin, he was done after one shot. Now, just a couple of months later, he likes to burn through 5 rounds on the M44 as fast as he can (he actually hits the target too!). They adapt very quickly at that age.

Good luck shooting with your son. Returning to shooting was one of the best things I've done with mine.

SgtChromeDome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is a great thread! It reminds me a lot of the times I first took my son shooting, and then included my daughter when she expressed an interest. Of course, this all occurred back when I was still kind of a big deal to them, rather than just being an embarrassing, yet necessary source of funds!

Top Bottom