• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I am sorry, I forgot that not everyone on this forum is a supporter of the 2nd amendment and that our discussion here can only go so far, then it's brick wall time...are we there yet?:):

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Minority Report :dunno:

Sounds like a whole buncha what if's to me. Speculation is a great way to punish...we should push for more speculation.:yesway:

Not sure what minority report means, I went to public schools. Are you now speculating that once out of prison everyone is a grade A model citizen? You may be right, I have never heard of a repeat offender.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    You got me, take away all guns, yea that's what I'm saying:dunno: I hope you never feel like I do about **** hole drunk drivers, I really do. When a drunk kills someone their gun rights are not what I want to take, it's their right to exist. Bullets are cheaper than lawyers. That's why I think all LEO's should carry a shovel in their trunk.Dig your own hole and say your prays you piece of ****.

You are asking for Jack Boot Thugs galore!!! Are you serious???:n00b:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Not sure what minority report means, I went to public schools. Are you now speculating that once out of prison everyone is a grade A model citizen? You may be right, I have never heard of a repeat offender.

Maybe those are the type of crimes if there is a victim should remain behind bars and not out in public to repeat them.:yesway:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I am sorry, I forgot that not everyone on this forum is a supporter of the 2nd amendment and that our discussion here can only go so far, then it's brick wall time...are we there yet?:):

I am a strong supporter of good old #2 and I will NEVER sway on my views on drunks. Your opinion isn't wrong, it is just different than mine and I hope nothing happens in you life to change it.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What does any of this have to do with the OP's question???? :horse:
    As stated before 1st DUI is Class C misdemeanor a 2nd WITHIN 5yrs is a Class D FELONY. Unknown in all this mess is if there were previous drug/alcohol convictions.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Smitty, first of all i am sorry for the loss your family had to go thru, i lost a cousin that way, and i will forever despise people who drink and drive...I also agree that if by negligence someone kills another, they should be locked away forever, or eat lead.

It is hard to find a middle ground, the "what if he was only .08 and not affected at all by the alcohol" seems to be a valid argument. We can't lock that person away forever, or kill him because we don't know for sure he would kill anyone.

Life has so many risks that it is hard for us to let another person add to them when our families are involved, and drunk driving is definitely a preventable one, but because he has 2 DUI's does not, in my opinion, make him any more dangerous with a gun.

The last thing we need is the government telling more people to base their personal protection with the police. Telling this man he can't have a gun does exactly that.

We as a country need more personal responsibility, and to take away mans most basic one, (to protect himself, his family, and his community) is not going to make him any less dangerous to our family.

Instead of taking away his guns, we need to take away his ability to drive drunk, alcohol meter in every car owned by a DUI offender? Or The no Booze pill, or maybe just no driving, there has to be better options then no LTCH..

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Smitty, first let me say at first I agreed with you. Drunk drivers should lose certain rights. But let me tell you all a little back story before I get my butt jumped on for saying people should lose PART of their second amendment rights.

I'm no stranger to drunk driving affecting my family. Though, it's not the from the same side that you're coming from, members of my family have been caught for drunk driving. A parent and a sibling both have been ticketed for DWI. My parent on multiple occasions. The final one was with a suspended license, on an empty dirt road at 3am. My uncle died by driving intoxicated. He was depressed, around the holidays, and drove way too fast down a old dirt road at 3-4am on Thanksgiving and wrapped his car around a tree.

Ultimately, all three of these people made their own decisions. All three chose their actions. And ultimately, they hurt no one but themselves. If an officer who pulled up on my parent had just shot them in the head for being on the road intoxicated, there would have been hell to pay. This is how violent revolutions start. Everyone who met any of these three people loves being around them, and they definitely improved others lives. My parent is highly involved in the church, and very active in community service. My uncle was a mechanic who would show up at 2am if your car broke down in Timbuktu to try and help you out, even if you were just a friend of a friend of a friend. My sibling is a straight A student who graduated with honors, and highly involved in a lot of community outreach programs.

That being said, I would want NONE of these people carrying a firearm 24-7 when they received these offenses. I love my family to death, but you have to be accountable for your actions. Here's the thing about being in America, you can get those rights back. Sibling did classes through college, and the parent went through massive amounts of rehab programs. My sibling no longer has a felony on their record, as well as the parent will have their's drop off at the end of the year if they keep up good behavior. If you follow the right steps, you can improve your legal standing. It's that simple.

That being said Smitty, your intolerance is the reason we have people who try and ban guns because a family member was shot. I'm not putting this in the same category, but "Kill em' all let God sort em' out" is a lot like "Take em' all, who needs guns anyways?". As a society, we have to have standards. You gain the rights by behaving as a citizen of said society. You lose rights by not being a citizen of a certain country. It's that simple.

And for everyone defending this, this guy can still buy a gun, and have it at home. He can even bring it to work if it's unloaded and secure. He just can't take it to the movie theater. Is that really a huge infringement for someone who has two convictions, that we know about?

I'm not so certain about his getting over his past as well, just because his girlfriend JUST GOT A DUI. For some reason, I'm thinking people who hang together do similar things. Now, if for some reason he was mis-represented, I would say there has to be an appeal process, and he probably can be issued one if he's a "good citizen" now. I wish him all the luck he can get, but I wouldn't stand in his corner at this crossroads.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    More likely he was denied because he apparently has a drinking problem and a drug problem. :twocents:

But I suppose it's always some one else's fault. Responsibility... It doesn't have the meaning it used to.

He torpedoed himself when he picked up a bottle and a set of car keys.

:+1::+1: good to know every thing is working properly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    To throw salt on this guy's wounds, his girlfriend also has a DUI. She recently got her permit.

Birds of a feather flock together.

What to do? Start looking for a new job. He needs to hang around with better people and any place run by that bunch is going to be bad news sooner or later.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For all anyone knows that guy could have cleaned up his act and been a straight arrow ever since his 2nd bust. It doesn't say he killed or injured anyone, just that he was caught driving with an arbitrary blood alcohol number. He could have blown .08 each time, that wouldn't necessarily make him a drunk, just someone who didn't wait long enough to get behind the wheel. ...

I know of some people who would gladly let a man who had a .19 BAC carry a gun and drive again.

May be the first time HE GOT CAUGHT but not the SECOND TIME HE GOT CAUGHT. He's a drunk. A drunk is a drunk. Don't bet your life there won't be a third time.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    First of all, I'm way smarter and certainly more interesting drunk than most people are sober. Doesn't really have much to do with this, just sayin'.

Does the law deny the LTCH for two DUIs? If not, he should get it. If it does, it's still debatable.

I'd like to point out, however, that the guy DROVE drunk, he didn't SHOOT drunk.

What other things should be restricted because a guy had two DUIs?

A lot of drunks think that way.

It seems pretty common right here. Almost seems to correspond directly with the poll here showing about 1/3 of the posters here are convicted drunks or other types of criminals with jail records. I'm amazed they are so lax on themselves.

I see a lot of potential congressmen in this group.

I'd just like to point out he didn't practice brain surgery or pilot a commercial air craft drunk either. He's still a drunk.

Top Bottom