• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    (Hope this thread goes better than my Baby Eagle thread...)

Ok, I bought this SKS, a Norinco, with an ATI folding stock. I hated how the stock felt in my shoulder so I'm selling the stock in the classifieds. In it's place I invested in a Tapco T6. :D It has the forward rail which I've decided would be best fitted with a forward grip. Eventually the one that transforms into a bipod! :D :D I took it to the range and the rail sorta ate at my hand...

before
    NorincoSKS004.jpg

after
    ImprovedSKS003.jpg

Yes that's a polymer Tapco 20rnd Mag and it feeds FLAWLESSLY. It ate up Wolf ammo like it was going outta style. I also have a steel 30rnd mag that I'm selling with the ATI stock.

I also upgraded the receiver cover to an NCStar Weaver Scope Mount. Errrrr... error, error, Houston, we have a problem! I got to the range and the bolt kept sticking open. I had the scope zeroed in and all of a sudden the bolt quit sticking, but the shots were off the board! Checked the scope and sure as **** the mount had come loose!

SKSScopeMount004.jpg

those two screws had become stripped after a few shots and the mount had come loose! So I just decided to shoot with the iron sights and at 100yds I was kicking ass. Got the rifle home swapped receiver covers and there was a small "bump" inside the NCStar cover. Apparently the bolt was catching on the bump and rattling the mount loose.

I called NCStar and they agreed to send me a replacement with extra screws and nuts. I send it back tomorrow. I better not be saying "oh NUTS, they SCREWED me!" But they agreed to inspect the mount for any and all possible defects and send me extra parts to ensure my happiness. they said no longer than 2 weeks so we shall see.

I know NCStar is just cheap aftermarket parts, but for being firearms parts I expected a bit higher quality than this. I'll post an update with pictures when I get the new one back.

BTW, the scope I'm using is a cheap FM 3-9x40mm. Had a BSA but it was too long and no shell deflector so I had to go with something shorter. I considered using the Tapco Handguard w/ top rail, but I figured the scope would be too far forward to get a good picture through it.

All in all, I put 300 rounds down range. after I loosened the reciever cover, there were no problems whatsoever. I was using Wolf FMJ, Wolf Military Classic FMJ, and Wolf MC HP. All fed well in both clips, all ejected well, and I even had a few land upright when they hit the ground! LOL

Anyone wanna go half on some 7.62 and some 9mm and meet me at Atterbury sometime???

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    BTW, I opted not to attach the Tapco handguard for the simple two facts that 1) The "holed" handguard makes it look more "mean", and 2) I have no use for the forward upper rail. So I guess I'll keep it just in case I get feeling froggy and find a use for it...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks! I can't wait to get a good scope mount back on there and a good forward grip. That rail really digs into your hand...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    :): When you can't afford an AR....

I would have to say it's lighter weight. I would also have to say that the stock plus the Tapco Mags have a LOT less rattle. They may only be 20rnds, but the click into place easier and faster than others I've tried. And at 20 bucks a pop, with a lifetime warranty, I'm not whining!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No problem. I was afraid it would wobble on me when shooting throwing off my shot. But I'm a long-range shooter so the folder just wasn't for me. Glad you like it though! Post some pictures if you get a chance!

Norinco or Yugo? 16" or 20"?

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did the same but set it in a T6 Fusion stock. The rail is on the top. Haven't taken it out yet but it feels soooo much better with the longer stock and recoil pad. Didn't hurt the looks either. I have the Tapco mags as well and no complaints. Needs a better front sight. Getting older.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Mine came with the top handguard w/ rail but I decided not to put it on because I like the look of the holey handguard. Looks meaner IMO. I kept the tapco handguard just in case I come up with a reason to use it, but I don't foresee any good reason.

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Looks very nice.
    Doesn't even look like to same SKS...
    After you put on the grenade barrel/ launcher, the high beam and low beam lights, night vision, and thermal locator... post another pic :).
    Seriously, it looks great. Good work

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was thinking a detachable uzi in place of a grenade launcher, and a high power laser to slice through walls, but I like the thermal locator idea... :D

I've got a vert grip coming this week so I'll post pics with that on it. Should look a little better. Thanks for the props! I tried to modernize it as much as possible...

Top Bottom