• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrolle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Went to the Wal-Mart in Franklin last night, on the way up to the door I had to yell at a Mini van to slow down as she almost ran over me and my boys.

Were inside picking up a small computer desk for the boys and and I go back to get a cart real quick and I see a car speed past the outside door and I thought to myself, Wal-Mart has by far the worst parking lot design, and right about then I hear a loud bang and I notice people running outside.

I walk out side, and on the ground was an elderly lady, not responsive and not breathing. The car had completely ran over the top of her, she lay behind it while a small blue 90's 2 door Mazda type car sat parked in front of her.

Ambulances arrived, and started to perform CPR. They fought for a while on her and I believe she was able to breathe, barely, when they took her away, but she died shortly afterwards at the hospital. All night long I tried to get the picture of the lady laying on the ground, in the pouring rain, while they pounded on her performing CPR out of my head.

I have got to say, I will never shop at that Wal-Mart again, It has by far the worst parking lot system I have ever seen. I have complained several times about cars not stopping for people, and at some point they attempted to put a stop sign, IMHO in the wrong place.

I blame 2 things on that woman getting hit, the driver for not paying attention and obviously speeding since she was able to completely clear an elderly woman of some size, and Wal-Mart for not preventing things like this from happening. any one who knows that Wal-Mart knows the north end, you come to a stop, then as you immediately turn to enter the parking lot, all kings of foot traffic are in your way, and more times then none this angers drivers so they speed to get past so they don't have to stop for the people leaving.

My heart goes out to this womans family.

Link to the paper got denied, but if you go to Daily Journal Franklin in google you will see the article.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That could have happened anywhere, most Walmarts are built in to strip malls with many storefronts around them, all the same design.

Put the blame where it belongs, the driver.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    What horrible news. I have a feeling that woman's family will OWN that Wal-Mart before it's overwith. Then maybe they'll make some necessary safety changes.

Even as a bystander these things aren't always easy to deal with. How are YOU coping today?

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    As much as I empathize for the experience you went through, I have to draw attention to one thing. Blaming Walmart for a "poorly designed parking lot" for the traffic problems is exactly like blaming guns for killing people. The problem is not the physical object, it's the ass-hat using said object. Human behaver is always at the root of our public problems, just look at what is sitting in the Whitehouse.... :rolleyes:

Scott

Chrolle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Beech Grove
    That could have happened anywhere, most Walmarts are built in to strip malls with many storefronts around them, all the same design.

Put the blame where it belongs, the driver.

While I do put the blame on driver first and foremost...This is one of the only Wal-Marts I have ever seen that has an entry system on one end like this one. It's retarded to say the least. Most other walmarts sit back in a lot or mall area, with the entrances at the out most street edge giving direct access to the outside of the parking area not requiring you to drive up to a T, past all the outgoing pedestrians and then try to navigate back down isles to park.

IMHO, I would blame the driver mostly.But how about this idea for Wal-Mart, I mean, just an idea...to prevent this....how about putting up a stop sign??? How about putting an entrance closer to 31 on the north end to keep drivers from having to go past pedestrians all together...or even simply a freaking speed bump to stop the retards from doing 50 past the exit doors???

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    As much as I empathize for the experience you went through, I have to draw attention to one thing. Blaming Walmart for a "poorly designed parking lot" for the traffic problems is exactly like blaming guns for killing people. The problem is not the physical object, it's the ass-hat using said object. Human behaver is always at the root of our public problems, just look at what is sitting in the Whitehouse.... :rolleyes:

Scott
    +1 :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While I do put the blame on driver first and foremost...This is one of the only Wal-Marts I have ever seen that has an entry system on one end like this one. It's retarded to say the least. Most other walmarts sit back in a lot or mall area, with the entrances at the out most street edge giving direct access to the outside of the parking area not requiring you to drive up to a T, past all the outgoing pedestrians and then try to navigate back down isles to park.

IMHO, I would blame the driver mostly.But how about this idea for Wal-Mart, I mean, just an idea...to prevent this....how about putting up a stop sign??? How about putting an entrance closer to 31 on the north end to keep drivers from having to go past pedestrians all together...or even simply a freaking speed bump to stop the retards from doing 50 past the exit doors???

Ok, having just looked at a satellite image of the parking lot, I'm going to have to qualify my +1. It really is a bad design. All vehicle traffic is forced directly across the pedestrian traffic flow. It would be better to force cars to come into the back of the lot instead of bringing them all the way to the storefront before allowing them to park. There's another entrance on the south end that does this, but none of the US31 southbound traffic is likely to use it.

ru09c8.jpg

Chrolle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Either way guys, how I feel about that Wal Mart is my choice...no need to focus on that, I was just stating my feelings on it. No need for this topic to stray off over my feelings towards the whole issue. I guess I am biased due to the fact I personally have came close to being nailed by a car going in or out of that store.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Again...
    I have a feeling that woman's family will OWN that Wal-Mart before it's overwith.
    The driver may have technically been at fault (and should be justly punished), but Wal-Mart does have some responsibility here to do everything they can to ensure the safety of their customers. The way the laws are written, if you're injured on someone elses property, even if it's your own fault, you can sue the property owner/company for damages. Silly... I know. But it appears in this case that the company does have some room for improvement.

Chrolle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Are you holding up alright?

Prayers for her family

Yea, I am fine...was a little disturbed last night, kept thinking about it over and over. I was more worried about my boys as everyone was running through the store saying the woman had been hit and killed and they kept hearing this as were trying to get out of the place. All the way home they kept asking about the lady and all the ambulances and they the cops were blocking the exits. Kinda tough to explain to 6 and 8 year olds.

I just feel bad for the woman and her family. God only knows what they are going through right now, a simple trip to Wally world ends up tragically.

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite

The Walmart here in Columbia City is just about the same as yours. Main road through the complex goes right past the front door so it's like a two lane highway. People just fly right through barely paying attention to the stop signs at each of the three doors. I agree it's a horribly designed layout and the engineer that did it should be hung up by the sack. However, it still takes idiots behind the wheel to force that 2-3 tons of metal down that strip like it's Daytona... :rockwoot:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=C...1.169657:-85.497062:0:::::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e
    Scott

Last edited:

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    It was my great aunt. Grandma's sister. Nice lady. Her husband was a war hero and I never knew it until his own funeral. I just came down with a bad case of influenza. I got woke up to the call last night as I went to bed early. The guys that worked on her are on a different shift as me. Last time I saw her was at our baby shower a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for your condolences.

Pedestrian killed in Franklin

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]By DAILY JOURNAL[/FONT]

[FONT=HELVETICA, SANS SERIF]Feb. 12, 2009

An 81-year-old Franklin woman was killed Wednesday evening after being struck by a vehicle.

Sarah E. Campbell was walking from the parking lot into the north entrance of Walmart in Franklin about 7 p.m. when she was hit by a vehicle and run over, Franklin Fire Department spokesman Ryan Piercefield said.

She was conscious at the scene and taken to Johnson Memorial Hospital in Franklin, where she died, he said.

Police are investigating the crash, and the driver will be tested for blood alcohol content, Franklin Police Lt. Jim Hoeing said.

Blood tests are routinely given in fatal crashes, he said.

The driver, Sarah Batta, 23, Franklin, told police she tried to stop but panicked and pressed the accelerator, according to a news release.
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Again...

The driver may have technically been at fault (and should be justly punished), but Wal-Mart does have some responsibility here to do everything they can to ensure the safety of their customers.

So if someone got shot or robbed on the sidewalk outside of Wal-mart, they are responsible?

Top Bottom