• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, it is!! LOL Got my "new" Mosin Nagant 91/30 from Crawfordsville Big R today. The box describes it as being in "Very Good +" condition. I don't know about such things, but it looks awfully good to me. The bore looks very good, rifling deep and no pitting, at least that I can see through the cosmoline. No pitting on the exterior of the gun, no major dings. Muzzle is silver, do these things have chromed barrels? The stock isn't clobbered, the bolt operates smoothly and with authority. It looks to me like the numbers matched, and if I understand what I've read about "forced matching," I don't think they are.

Cathy and I are very excited to own a piece of history, though Cathy insists it's my gun. If she lets me get it away with calling it "our" gun, the debate over who gets the next gun goes on LOL. It's just really neat to own an old gun that judging by the date on the receiver, 1942, has almost certainly seen service against the Nazis and helped save the world.

Think I'll need to find a scope for it. My eyes are getting older, and the front sight isn't overwhelmingly easy to see. I understand there is a scope mount that slides in in place of the rear sight. Anyone know about these?

Bought a couple boxes of Brown Bear 203 grain SP ammo, so sometime between now and Sunday I hope to be able to make some serious noise! I keep hearing these things kick like mules, then other people say it's not bad at all. One of the guys at the store compared it to being somewhere between a 16 guage and a 20 guage, recoil energy numbers put it as being less than Sean's Super Bantam Youth Mossberg 500 20 guage with slugs. Can't wait to find out.

Gonna be spending some time at 7.62x54r.net studying up on what all the marks mean, and learning what there is to learn about the rifle. It looks like a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30, that was refurbished at the Ukranian depot at some point, but that's about all I've figure out so far. If anyone else knows, give a holler! Hopefully, I'll also find instructions on attaching the sling LOL.

This is my first ever military surplus gun. I'm kind of thrilled and excite :)

A boy and his gun
    MosinNagant9130003.jpg

Receiver markings
    MosinNagant9130005.jpg

MosinNagant9130009.jpg

Some of the bolt markings
    MosinNagant9130008.jpg

Buttplate markings
    MosinNagant9130010.jpg

Stock markings
    MosinNagant9130011.jpg

MosinNagant9130012.jpg

MosinNagant9130014.jpg

Magazine floorplate markings
    MosinNagant9130013.jpg

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Congrats!

I personally never thought the recoil of a full length M-N was bad at all. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Here's a link you might find useful as a new M-N owner:
    7.62x54r.net

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I've never shot a 91/30 yet, but I'll tell you that my M44 does in fact kick like a mule. Good luck on yours! One day I'd like to pick up a 91/30!

ryanbmorgan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    I shot a 91/30 a couple of weeks ago. I want some variation of a Mosin-Nagant now. I just haven't decided which.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new rifle. My 91/30 kicks a bit less than my M44 and M38 do. Even the M44 and M38 are not too bad though. My 12 year old can handle the kick with no problem on any of them, so you should be fine with it.

I've tried one of the cheap rear sight replacement rails for a scope mount and it does not hold zero for anything. I'm going to replace the cheap one I have with one of the better built ones and will let the group know how it works out when I do.

Again, congrats on the new purchase. They really are a lot of fun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I shot a 91/30 a couple of weeks ago. I want some variation of a Mosin-Nagant now. I just haven't decided which.

It really does not matter which one you get. Before long, you'll have bought all the other types as well. They can be addicting. We started out with a single M44 and within 4 months added 2 91/30s, an M38, another M44 and a Finnish M39. It's kind of like Tribbles. They just keep multiplying. Most rooms of the house now have a Mosin standing in the corner or hanging on the wall.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Sweet!! Very nice. I would compare the recoil to a 12 gauge or 30-06. Especially with the steel butt plate. You'll enjoy it. Just a warning though, people are known to contract Mosiniatis after shooting one, and before you know it, you'll have more!!!

ryanbmorgan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    It really does not matter which one you get. Before long, you'll have bought all the other types as well. They can be addicting. We started out with a single M44 and within 4 months added 2 91/30s, an M38, another M44 and a Finnish M39. It's kind of like Tribbles. They just keep multiplying. Most rooms of the house now have a Mosin standing in the corner or hanging on the wall.

Do you like the M39? I think that is the direction I am leaning.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Do you like the M39? I think that is the direction I am leaning.

The M39 is pretty nice. It's by far, the most accurate of all of them. The build quality is much better for the most part. This one has a 1916 receiver with a 1943 barrel and stock. It still has the Russian Imperial crests stamped into the receiver.

Top Bottom