• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keeping it simple, I've found that using 110 grain .357's in a J-Frame is manageable, whereas heavier bullets - 158 and 180 grain, or Hornady's FTX rounds - are downright brutal! 110 grain JHP's are difficult to find, even online, but I prefer CorBon's 110 grain JHP (standard) and simply purchase straight from them!
    Enjoy!
    110-grain .357s will destroy the titanium cylinder. Gun has printed right on it, no less than 120 grain. Here is the story:

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 357 in JFrames contain the law of diminished returns. Percussion, recoil muzzle flame and equipment abuse take away any benefits of a faster bullet.

Simply, the .357 chambering in these small guns satisfied manufacturer ledgers and penis envy gun buyers.

This is evidenced by the small attendance of such a large crowd of JFramers who do not show up or do well in JFrame matches.

There is only one level of dead and skill set and practice with either 38 short Colt or 38 Specials loaded to efficient ballistics will do the job. Without the wasted overkill and problems.

Case in point, practicing with the number of rounds needed (Many Thousands) with your .357 rounds, mean you will need about 20 JFrames to get to the point where you can effectively carry a newer one.

You will need Wrist surgery and be deaf and still rely on luck if you can hit anything but I guess that is fun to some.

I’ve seen the wear and tear first hand on these sleeve barreled lightweight revolvers. Posted a pic years ago of one that came apart up in Bend Me Over In the River.

The short run of lands and high velocities of the .357 will result in less accuracy in flight comparing to service grade guns printing sub four inch groups at 10 yards.

Shooting Steel at 100 yards is a good test of marksmanship for these guns and the .357 does poorly out of these miniature guns. Always has.

See you on the Range

Trapper

I think you are right about the brutality of .357 in a 11.7 oz snubby. My Bond derrringer is 20 oz and .357s are brutal in it. Nonetheless, it is a cool gun and for .38 Special is a stronger frame than the 442/642. Some have shown wear on the aluminum frames of the 642/442 from excessive use. Also the 340PD has the insert to block flame cutting of the frame above the forcing cone. The ligher weight will be nice in pocket carry, but insignificant for appendix carry. If I really wanted to shoot a lot of .357s out of a snubby, the MP340 would be better, but I have a couple .357s to play with including the Bond and a Taurus revolver with a 12-inch barrel (hard to carry but fun at the range).

Still, I plan to try a couple cylinders or so of .357 out of it at the range soon.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    110-grain .357s will destroy the titanium cylinder. Gun has printed right on it, no less than 120 grain. Here is the story:
    The one I had, a 360-J, didn't have a titanium cylinder, and anything like that stamped on it. There was nothing in the manual either.
    The 360J series were built specifically for the Japanese police, and probably had steel cylinders in them...???

EODFXSTI

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    The one I had, a 360-J, didn't have a titanium cylinder, and anything like that stamped on it. There was nothing in the manual either.
    The 360J series were built specifically for the Japanese police, and probably had steel cylinders in them...???
    I am pretty sure that 360J was for .38 special only. They did only have steel cylinders not titanium. It would be nice if they brought the 342 back which is rated for .38+p and brought the price down a little bit. Not sure what they would gave to change besides that little SS insert above the forcing cone.

Top Bottom