• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I have a .22 semi auto rifle and a .38 revolver.
    I am now in the market for a shotgun.
    I'm leaning towards a pump action 12 gauge.
    Price range is from $200 to $350. The only use will be for home defense and the occasional groundhog/raccoon.
    Mostly just to have it.

I've been looking on gunbroker.com because I have a friend who buys from there.
    I'm getting familiar with the brands.
    Mossberg
    Remington
    Stevens
    Maverick
    Savage Arms
    Rock Island
    others

I know about some of these but not others.
    Would you stay away from any brand in my price range?

Thanks for the input.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Check out the Catamount Lynxx. It is in your range, and well built. I have one and like it a lot.

That's one I haven't heard of before.

After a quick google search, reviews seem to be mixed. While most people say it is a good gun, many say go with the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    First in for older used 870. . .

Absolutely solid guns, and can still be had for not a whole lot. Have a little patience during your search, and you will find a good one. Deer season is over and the Christmas bills are due.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
    I would personally check out the "PD Trade-Ins" on the usual sites for a nice well used Police 870.

Sloppy seconds can be very rewarding.............with guns that is. :n00b:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    That's one I haven't heard of before.

After a quick google search, reviews seem to be mixed. While most people say it is a good gun, many say go with the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
    Those are not in your range, unless you get a used one. If one or the other, go Mossberg.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    My choice was a used Remington 870 Express Magnum and I have NEVER regretted it. It's like any other 870, but has a very durable parkerized finish (rather than fancy bluing) and a 3" inch chamber that will allow you to have more versatility with your ammo selection. Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s are both very strong, durable, and easy to customize, but I think the 870s are smoother guns operationally. Chokes and extra barrels are readily available and affordable for either gun, which is also something to consider. Whatever you do, don't buy a fixed choke gun, it will limit your versatility and at some point in the future you will probably regret it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Mossberg 500 in all of the following,

.410ga
    .20ga
    .12ga

Never had the first issue with any of them.
    The 12 and .410 have both taken whitetail.

Some prefer the 870, but I like the tang safety on the Mossberg.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Some prefer the 870, but I like the tang safety on the Mossberg.

This. The safety location is why I prefer the Mossy as well. Would I be 100% confident in a 870? You bet. If you are planning on modifications down the road, the 870 seems to have more options (at least that's what I've seen). Either of these should be in your price range, especially used.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    870 is the way to go. A lot easier to make it however you want it, different barrels, mag tube extensions. I had a mid '80s Wingmaster, only reason I sold it was because a buddy was bugging my about it and I didn't need 3 shotguns. Having said that, I prefer my Ithaca 37 out of all of them, sure the bottom eject isn't handy for tactical reloads, but SLAMFIRE!

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Great advice guys. I am leaning toward both the Mossberg and the Remington.
    What Re your thoughts on the Stevens shotguns?

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Get a Maverick field model then you can get an 18.5 in barrel for it and have a field and security gun. I saw the
    Mavericks on sale for 189 at Dunham's I think.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'l chime in that Remington and Mossberg and Savage are all fantastic. I have Weatherby in 20 and 12, both auto-loaders, and they rock. SA-459 TR is 8 rounds of 12 gauge fury, specifically designed for home defense.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have owned both Mossberg and Remington. I prefer Mossberg.
    The parkerized finish on the 870 and 1187 I had rusted quickly in during deer season. Accuracy with slugs was very good from both of the Remmys and better than my Mossbergs.
    I have not had any corrosion problems with my Mossbergs, even my 930 SPX that is parkerized. The tang safety is another plus for me. I use Foster type slugs and accuracy for them is acceptable. They are not tack drivers, but I do not expect them to be either.
    Accessories for either is abundant. You can turn a 5 pound shotgun into a 10 pound shotgun real quick though, so keep that in mind.
    Mossbergs rattle a lot, Remmys do not. That bothers some people, some it does not.
    Just go to the store and handle both, there is good points and bad points to each one. Check each one out and decide for yourself. I personally feel you get more bang for your buck with Mossberg.

gotguns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Like most everyone has said look at the Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. If I was picking for you it would be an 870. But both are good guns. I just grew up on Remmies.

Top Bottom