• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I just procured my first 1911 from a fellow forum member,yogiboobooranger, and was very excited, despite the drive :D, to give the pistolet a try. It's the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911G, or full-size government model. So, here it is.

PRE-TRIP:
    I got the gun home and gave it a good cleaning. I used a vat filled with mineral spirits, lubricated it with BreakFree CLP. Being unfamiliar with 1911's, I lubricated it more than my PPQ, or glock, but didn't drench it. After function checking it numerous times, it seemed operational. I stripped my mags, cleaned them, and left them dry, as I normally do. I find that dry mags work better IMO.

AMMO CHOICES:
    I purposely chose ammo I thought would make it jam or misfeed. :): I got lucky with a 100 round bulk pack of Walmart Federal, and I bought two boxes of steel cased Tula. For a topper, I purchased a box of Winchester PDX1 230 JHP.

ACCURACY: :yesway:
    The gun is deadballz accurate. Its a tack driver. One shot on top of another at 10 yards. It was very easy to tear fist sized holes in the center of the target. My non-scientific guess is that groups were roughly 1". Unfortunately, I was at Willow Slough, or I would've rapid fired the gun until the muzzle was white hot.

RECOIL: :yesway:
    Completely manageable. It was like punching a pillow.

MAGS: :yesway:
    Mecgar

CASE: :yesway:
    Plastic Clam shell of good quality.

FIT' N' FINISH: :yesway:
    No rattle at all in this gun. Very tight. It's parkerized evenly. I like the wood grips that it came with, however, I'll be swapping them out with a set of VZ grips. Haven't decided on what color yet. The GIANT roll marks on the left side of the gun don't bother me. In fact, I like them.

MALFUNCTIONS: :yesway:
    Zero. Out of 220 rounds of ammo, not a single malfunction of any kind. I would barney up before shooting, assuming that it would create additional drag on the steel casing of the Tula ammo, thus creating a malfunction. It did not. I shot my friends Springfield TRP Operator and experienced a half dozen malfunctions per box of Tula on average. For what I paid for this gun, I feel vindicated in its quality. I almost feel like I swindled yogiboobooranger out of such a quality fire arm. I have to thank him for the opportunity to purchase it. I think I'll run this gun into the ground or get old trying too. :laugh: I'm going to bring it out to my next IDPA match and run it through it's paces. I might even try to get it a bit sandy to see what happens.

TRIGGER: :yesway:
    It's. . .like. . .3.5 lbs. :dunno: There's very little take up, and it has an adjustment screw for overtravel. Uhhhh. . .errrrr. . .what else do you need?

AMMO ANALYSIS:
    Federal Bulk 230 grain: Shot straight. Cleaner. Brass cased. I liked it. A 100 rounds for 30 bucks is a good deal for brass cased ammo that shoots reliably. If I can, this will be what I use for range trips. Though, Cabellas has a deal on Herters 230 grain brass cased going on right now. 300 rounds plus a nice plastic ammo case for 114 bucks. I may give that a try for the IDPA match.

Tula steel 230 grain: I never noticed it in my 9's but this ammo is really dirty. When I broke down my gun for a cleaning, my hands were covered in black. It probably took 30 minutes to clean the barrel out. It shot straight, had less recoil, and didn't malfunction. For 14.95 a box, I'm not going to complain.

Winchester PDX1 230 grain bonded JHP: The heaviest recoil of the three. Shot very well, straight, no malfunctions. I plan on trying Federal HST 230 grain standard pressure, Speer Gold Dot 230, and, perhaps, Hornady Critical Defense 230.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this firearm. I'm thinking it may be my new EDC in a nice IWB holster. Perhaps a Galco King Tuck or a Supertuck.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Sweet, and glad you enjoyed the 1911 so much. They are great guns, and used to carry one myself. (still need to get my permit again after moving). Most are pretty good tack drivers. There are a TON of holsters out there for it. Just let me know if you need any help picking one out.

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Im thinking about getting the commander sized version. Sounds like they make solid 1911's at a descent price. I like the roll marks too btw, and adding vz grips would make it look just bad a**. I got a set of their operator grips.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I ended up buying a Galco King Tuck. Its comfortable, easy to draw from, and hides the pistol very well. I practiced drawing it from concealment so much that there's already a divet shaped like the gun growing in the leather and the kydex is getting smooth. Now, for an IDPA match. Does anyone have experience with MecGar 11 round extended mags? I also would like to get a small magwell for it. Ahhhhhhhh! The sickness has set in. I'm doomed.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I ended up buying a Galco King Tuck. Its comfortable, easy to draw from, and hides the pistol very well. I practiced drawing it from concealment so much that there's already a divet shaped like the gun growing in the leather and the kydex is getting smooth. Now, for an IDPA match. Does anyone have experience with MecGar 11 round extended mags? I also would like to get a small magwell for it. Ahhhhhhhh! The sickness has set in. I'm doomed.

I have no experience with those, but I do have with the Wilson Combat magazines, and I would say to make sure to review before you spend the money. There is another one out there that are great 1911 mags, but the name is escaping me, Chip something or other magazines. They are also great quality.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Never go cheap when buying the extra gear for it. Some always want to go cheap on the mags, and if those dont work right, neither does the weapon. Same with holsters. Some spend thousands on a pistol, then want to use a 20 dollar holster to wear it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Since we're all having to use our imaginations I'm including a picture to help us with that:

gun-hand-270208.jpg

Nice gun man

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Small Milestone Update: 500 rounds down the pipe

500 flawless rounds. Every time I take this gun out I love it more. There may be some pics laying around somewhere. . .

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    500 flawless rounds. Every time I take this gun out I love it more. There may be some pics laying around somewhere. . .

Glad to hear that its running like a top. Most good 1911s are built to run forever. Hope it keeps on pounding them out for you.

Top Bottom