• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Lower is built!

Thanks again to shooter521 for taking time out of his morning to guide me through it. This is the first lower I've ever built, and was surprised at how easy it was. Mark's knowledge and task-specific tools made it even easier.

Parts used were:

• Spike's Tactical lower receiver w/pictogram
    • Spike's Tactical lower parts kit
    • Spike's Tactical billet trigger guard
    • Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger
    • KNS GenII anti-rotation pins
    • Spike's Tactical ambi safety
    • Magpul BAD Lever
    • Magpul MOE grip
    • Noveske QD endplate (staked x 2)
    • Spike's Tactical milspec buffer tube
    • Spike's Tactical milspec buffer spring
    • Spike's Tatical ST-T2 buffer
    • Magpul CTR w/enhanced buttpad
    Everything was in-spec and went together easily. A nice thing about the Spike's LPK is that they included a few extra detents and springs, just in case we sent one flying across the room (we didn't :yesway:). PMAGs drop freely. The take-down pins were somewhat tight on a test upper, so they'll need a few reps to break in fully.

I'm really diggin' Spike's version of a trigger guard. Normally I prefer the Magpul version because I find it a nice balance of form and function. The Spike's billet trigger guard has very similar lines, but is a bit beefier, has a few extra angles cut into it, and sports the spider logo. I like it because its different enough without being wild and crazy, like several others currently on the market.

Of course, I made sure to snap some pics along the way.

255i2oi.jpg

2hdtcow.jpg

30w5738.jpg

2urtmdz.jpg

2mq6y4w.jpg

2uzse4k.jpg

2637nzt.jpg

23ii4oy.jpg

24e3wbb.jpg

21l6ec2.jpg

sfbgg9.jpg

2po2kgh.jpg

154ybes.jpg

k1dgrl.jpg

Next and final step: Complete my Form 1 and start the long wait for my government permission slip.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Evan:

Nice lower! :yesway:

Something I forgot to mention - you will likely have to use Mr. Dremel to carve a slight relief in the face of the buttstock, so it can collapse fully without hitting the sling swivel when it's installed in the endplate. Assuming, of course, that the stock needs to be collapsed all the way to fit in your discreet case, and that you'll want to do so with the sling attached to the gun.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Evan:

Nice lower! :yesway:

Something I forgot to mention - you will likely have to use Mr. Dremel to carve a slight relief in the face of the buttstock, so it can collapse fully without hitting the sling swivel when it's installed in the endplate. Assuming, of course, that the stock needs to be collapsed all the way to fit in your discreet case, and that you'll want to do so with the sling attached to the gun.

since its staked how will he install this? is he just gonna use a mount that tightens over the buffer tube? honest question.

im also looking for an easy way to do this without replacing parts due to the staking and installing a single point sling mount. everytime I have done it its a real PAIN, because i have to dremmel it. Thanks!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    since its staked how will he install this? is he just gonna use a mount that tightens over the buffer tube? honest question.

im also looking for an easy way to do this without replacing parts due to the staking and installing a single point sling mount. everytime I have done it its a real PAIN, because i have to dremmel it. Thanks!

He has the Noveske QD end plate like me:D

Noveske.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

In my case, we already installed the Noveske QD endplate (see pics). What shooter is referring to is that once I lock a sling swivel into the hole, my buttstock won't be able to collapse fully without hitting the release button. It's not a current concern of mine, but that could change depending on how I plan to store it once its complete.

I've used a Tango Down PR-4 before with excellent results. Its simple to install in minutes right over a commercial or milspec buffer tube. Downside is that its pricey (~$70).

TangoDown PR-4 Ambi QD Sling Mount

Here is mine with my UERT sling.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/35d53qa.jpg
    35d53qa.jpg

Daniel Defense and Midwest Industries make their own versions that are slightly cheaper, but they lack the rear-facing slot.

https://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/sling/ez-carbine-qd-swivel-attachment-point.html

Midwest Industries: End Plate Sling Adapters

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I just got that same end plate and put it on my gun tonight. I am thinking I am going to Stake it, but I am unsure of the best way to do it... How did you do yours esrice? Punch?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I got a chance today to test the new lower. I was down at lovemywoods' and borrowed his Colt 14.5" upper with Trijicon Accupoint scope in LaRue mount.

292lpbb.jpg

I decided to shoot from the porch at some Bobcat Steel targets about 65 yards away.

5x8mjm.jpg

2rmbho8.jpg

The sky was quickly turning dark and I could hear thunder rumbling in the distance. We had just enough time to run 40 rounds. The first 20 were shot from prone at steel, while the final 20 were shot offhand indiscriminately into the lake.

Thanks to the magic of LaRue's QD mounts, I was able to quickly remove the Accupoint and bipod and replace them with my Aimpoint H1 in between takes. The time difference between videos is only about 2 minutes, but you can see how quickly the storm rolled in. You'll have to forgive my tactical flip-flops.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMIl96EYcI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbBheGazyYc[/ame]

The Battle Trigger from Spike's Tactical is very interesting-- unlike any other trigger I've shot before (I haven't shot THAT many, all single-stage milspec types). Its overall pull is fairly heavy, but there is very little take-up before it breaks. Its almost like clicking a Bic pen. Its a very sharp feeling, and not springy or spongy at all. In the video you can hear the very positive *click* when it resets. I look forward to getting more time with it.

I've never run an ambi safety before, and it will take some getting used to. Having the selector under my trigger finger during the string of fire wasn't uncomfortable, but I knew it was there. It does help when going back to safe, as you can use both your thumb and finger. My muscle memory will just need to adjust a bit.

I'll be getting another chance to run my upper coming up on Memorial Day. I'll be sure to post up more pictures and video when that happens.

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Evan,

So now you have 2 black rifles?:) How are you liking your Battle Comp? I want to get one but it's out of stock everywhere...lol

Top Bottom