• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallpaulr

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    hi all i am looking into muzzleloading start, I live out in South Dakota and here we can use the 209 primers, but not scopes at all. Here we also have lots of distance to cover with a bullet what do you thnk would be a good gun to be able to shoot 150-200 open sighted or is that just crazy?

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    And i cannot use smokeless powder i saw that gunwerks was making one that they said would do 500 yards that is with a scope but I am not looking to spend 7000 on a muzzleloader

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have a CVA Optima Pro, and it works well for me. The stock looks a little goofy, but it is very comfortable. It was the longest barrel I could find on an inline at 29". I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer at 200 yards with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Colonial riflemen took British officers out at up to 400 yards with flintlock long rifles 240 years ago. You will do fine with whatever gun you choose. A patched round ball and a traditional muzzleloader will do every thing you ask of it with the right load.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are worried about a blade and post system like on an old Hawken or Trade rifle, there are several varieties of rear peep sites. The longer sight radius and rear aperature in the peep really helps the accuracy at a distance. Bullets of 300 grains plus have a lot of drop, but still carry a lot of energy to the target. Get used to your rifle at distance before you take it to the field.

Whatever rifle you buy, be sure it is compatible with the projectiles you are using. A one in 60 twist barrel works fine with roundball but struggles with a modern bullet. If you are shooting modern, sabot projectiles (my recommendation) you will want a faster twist, like one in 28 or so.

Post some pictures when you hit that big buck. Good Luck

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    If you are looking at 200 yards and can find a 45 caliber rifle that would be my suggestion the 45 will shoot flatter and alot farther than a 50.

GBolt

Plinker
    Apr 12, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but I found I had worse distances and accuracy when using pistol bullets with sabots. Try the pointed ones.

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    got ya, thanks guys keep it coming maybe I just need to learn how to shoot? Anyone who sends me a pm I can't answer you till my count is higher in the post world

ru44mag

Master
    Feb 6, 2013
    hi all i am looking into muzzleloading start, I live out in South Dakota and here we can use the 209 primers, but not scopes at all. Here we also have lots of distance to cover with a bullet what do you thnk would be a good gun to be able to shoot 150-200 open sighted or is that just crazy?
    To make a clean kill on a deer with open sights and a muzzleloader, I think 150-200 yards is pushing it, but you may be a better shot than I am. I don't shoot at deer with open sights more than 100 yards, but I really hate loosing a deer. Now if you are shooting coyotes, that's different. Loosing one is no big deal. The more you kill the better. You could practice enough to hit fairly consistantly at 400-500 yards if your eyes are good and your hands are steady. But velocity is going to drop and likewise penetration. Good luck finding the right rifle. There are plenty of good options.

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    yea it may be out of the question to shoot that far but I'll try it out with paper through this summer and fall to see what i can really get done

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Apr 19, 2013
    Side note on the flintlocks and long range i am not an expert but i am pretty darn sure they where not using 50 cals to do such things, they liked their smaller squirrel guns and the like

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    I have not got one but traditions offers a long range rifle that you might look into.You can find reviews on youtube to help with a decision.My traditions are the cheaper models which is all I need for hundred yard range.If you happen to try 45 cal the powerbelts by cva are full size bullets with a gas seal.Easy to load and excellent fliers.

inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks for a reason to get my 45 cal cva out.I am going to set up a 200 yard target and try it out at that range.I will let you know what I find out.I am always looking for a reason to get a gun out and shoot it and the only ammo I have an over abundance of is for muzzleloaders.

Top Bottom