• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A buddy of mine in Illinois said that he was talking to a friend of his the other day...I know, I know...I heard from a guy who heard from a guy.:rolleyes: I have reason to believe that this incident conveyed to me by my buddy is factual. Anyway, they live in Illinois and the one guy bought two handguns from his dealer in one day. The dealer said, "You might get a visit from the ATF." The customer shrugged it off. Supposedly the purchaser of the two handguns got a knock at the door and there was an ATF Agent and local PD Detective. According to my buddy the questions and answers went something like this:

The ATF types wanted to know "why" you would buy two handguns in one day.
    The person in question in this instance replied, "to add to my collection." Next question from ATF was, "How big is your collection." The reply was, "You should know, you already have all the paperwork."

My question is, is this just an Illinois thing, or has someone had this happen to them in our great state of Indiana?

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Again, this can fall into the "someone's cousin told my brother" category, BUT, I went to a LGS a month ago to verify their price on FFL transfers and when I told them I wanted to order two guns and would their price per transfer be less than usual, they said "DON'T get two guns at the same time." They said there were two specific instances where the ATF visited them to get the details on that situation and then visited the buyer.

I said at the time that I was surprised that would trigger something. They simply said that it had on more than one occasion.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I do know there is some stupid paperwork that must be filed if you purchase 2 handguns within a 5 day period.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It sure seems like a waste of man hours and taxpayer money to engage in this type of activity. I would think that their efforts would be better spent dealing with criminals.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    No its not.

Done that many times. 2 or 3 handguns. Done it with rifles. Done it mixed with handguns and rifles. Never had a visit.
    Yes, it is.

Separate/additional paperwork is required when purchasing or transferring more than one handgun in a 5 day period. Specifically Form 3310.4. This form is not required for anything other than handguns.

ATF Online - Training - Firearms - Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide Learning Theater - Multiple Firearm Transaction Transcript
    Form 3310.4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BATFE Form 3310.4 - TheFiringLine Forums

While I am not saying yes or no to the ATF knocking on your door, there is more involved than just the 4473 when you purchase multiple handguns in a 5 day period. Whether this throws an alarm and sends them knocking, I have no idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yes, it is.
    Still NO, its not.

Yes the dealer has to notify the ATF but that has never been an issue. The dealer I use for transfers I specially chose because he charges only a flat fee no matter how many guns I transfer in. Many of my transfers are multiple handgun transfers.

Yes the ATF is notified. So what? I've never been followed home, had a door knock, or any visit.

I have purchased two handguns at once several times and never had any visits.
    EXACTLY. No issues.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Still NO, its not.

Yes the dealer has to notify the ATF but that has never been an issue. The dealer I use for transfers I specially chose because he charges only a flat fee no matter how many guns I transfer in. Many of my transfers are multiple handgun transfers.

Yes the ATF is notified. So what? I've never been followed home, had a door knock, or any visit.
    Yes, it is.

Please show me on the Form 3310.4 where it is required to file it when purchasing or transferring multiple long guns.

The OP's story even specifically mentions handguns.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, it is.
    NO, seriously, its not.

Yes, with multiple handguns the transaction is reported. Again, SO WHAT?

But there are no black helicopters following you home with your bounty. There are no "no-knock" searches of your gun cabinet by men dressed only in black and speaking only in hand signals. There are no flash bang grenades lobbed through your windows while your neighbors sit in lawn chairs munching on popcorn watching the big show at your home.

As I said, done it many times with handguns. Never had a visit.

I purchased a Kimber 1911 Taurus .38 special and a Remmy 700 SPS in one trip.
    No special paper work no visit from the ATF.
    Actually the dealer would have reported this transaction to the ATF. But as I said, its nothing more than routine. No big deal. And as you pointed out, no visit from the men in black.
    Much ado about nothing.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh man, and that thing lists manufacturer, model, and serial numbers, and it's for any five day period. They're not allowed to record that crap. Bastiges.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    NO, seriously, its not.

Yes, with multiple handguns the transaction is reported. Again, SO WHAT?

But there are no black helicopters following you home with your bounty. There are no "no-knock" searches of your gun cabinet by men dressed only in black and speaking only in hand signals. There are no flash bang grenades lobbed through your windows while your neighbors sit in lawn chairs munching on popcorn watching the big show at your home.

As I said, done it many times with handguns. Never had a visit.
    You don't read entire posts, do you? I never said that happens. I never claimed that happens. I never said buying multiple handguns makes that happen. I never said the OP's story was true, nor did I say it was hearsay. I simply stated that the ATF requires an additional form to be filed when purchasing more than one handgun within a 5 day period. I then stated pretty much what was said in the beginning of my reply in this post.

While I am not saying yes or no to the ATF knocking on your door, there is more involved than just the 4473 when you purchase multiple handguns in a 5 day period. Whether this throws an alarm and sends them knocking, I have no idea.
    Again, the keyword in the original post was handguns. Had it been multiple long guns, rifles, shotguns, or a mix of both I could see the implausibility of the story. However, once again, I am not saying it could or could not happen, but seeing as how the story involved the transfer of multiple handguns it is a little more plausible than not.

Just to make it clear, I am not saying there are black helicopters flying around waiting for people to take home more than a single handgun at a time.

Just to make it clear, I am not saying there are black helicopters flying around waiting for people to take home more than a single handgun at a time.

Actually the dealer would have reported this transaction to the ATF. But as I said, its nothing more than routine. No big deal. And as you pointed out, no visit from the men in black.
    Much ado about nothing.
    Incorrect. 1 handgun. 1 long gun. Standard 4473 and NICS check. No paperwork is sent anywhere.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    CR, I never disputed that the ATF is notified. I said it very clearly that they are notified. I simply said its no big deal. Nothing more. Not worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

I purchased a Kimber 1911 Taurus .38 special and a Remmy 700 SPS in one trip.
    No special paper work no visit from the ATF.
    melensdad said:
    Much ado about nothing.
    Incorrect. 1 handgun. 1 long gun. Standard 4473 and NICS check. No paperwork is sent anywhere.
    Go re-read his post. It was 2 handguns, 1 rifle.

You are the one who is wrong.

Top Bottom