• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have the Gerber MP400, the plier head slides into the tool locking it closed.

I love it except that the pliers do not have a spring to open them selves when loosen your grip.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I would also recommend taking a look at the Gerber Diesel. I've used one for the last few years. It doesn't get carried daily, but has proven itself useful camping, fishing and for random tasks around the house. Definitely feels more sturdy than my older Leatherman.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Started carrying a Leatherman PST 11 years ago. Retired my Schrade LB 5 and have never looked back. Well, almost never. There's something about a pocketknife that defines a man and a multitool just doesn't have the "feel" I got from the Schrade. Kinda connected me to my father and grandfather. But for EDC, it's the Leatherman all the way. In fact, when I heard they were going to discontinue my model, I went out and bought another one just in case I lost this one. The new one is still in a drawer waiting to be called into service.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The Leatherman EOD Mut is better, IMHO, than the SOG EOD. I've taken the pepsi challenge and prefer the Leatherman. Obviously if you don't need a spike or a cap crimper, get the other Leatherman model.

UKWildcats45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    I have the

Leatherman EOD Tool -- Got from Army contact -- Great tool but expensive -- the EOD specific parts can be replace with AR tools

Gerber -- Good tool that is cheaper --China Mfg -- Good to have but would not expect it to stand up to abuse

Buck -- I have had for about 20 years -- neat tool.

Bottom Line -- Leatherman are the sturdiest but you will pay for it -- Is this something you will count on all the time or just to have. If it is just to have the Gerber is great.

UK

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I also have the Gerber Diesel. I've been carrying it daily for about the last 5 years and have yet to break it. I'm a mechanic by trade, so it gets used a lot around the shop and also outside of work. My favorite feature would have to be the sliding pliers, since I don't have to open the tool to use it...just flick the wrist.

I will admit that the blades and other accessories seem to be made of a softer metal, which is why I got away from Gerber knives. But, I'm not going to replace it until it fails in one way or another. I can't imagine not having my multitool on me at all times, and have every intention to keep it that way. Heck, between the Gerber on my hip and the Jetbeam in my pocket, I've repaired quite a few vehicles in our parking lot and even some friend's driveways.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    I have had a Leatherman Wave for 10 years. Lost my original, but replaced it with a black one. Does everything and the locking external blades are great.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    +1 for Victorinox. Ive got one that I've had for about 4 years, I've done everything from field dressing deer to working on vehicles with it and it has yet to fail me. I've got a a Letherman as well as a Gerber and for the money I'd go with the Victorinox.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I like the Gerber's, however that may be due to getting them issued by the Army. So I've stuck with them. I currently have three sets :): well not really the wife just stole one of them so I had to replace it this last weekend with a diesel that goes along with the 400, and the one she got was a Legend. I've carried Gerber knives since I've been in the military, been able to buy pretty much anything from them at any PX.

I've used it for everything, even first aid. While up in Canada on a fishing trip my dad got a hook stuck in his leg. Out came the Gerber, cut the hook, then used the pliars to push it through and pull it the rest of the way out. No muss no fuss, little alcohol wipe and a band aid and he was good to go in 5 minutes.

What I really have my eye on now is the whole new deployment pack that they have:
    Individual Deployment (ID) Kit, Coyote Brown, DT500

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Top Bottom