• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

Just wanted to know what everyone's take on a question like this was. If you are apart of a prepper group, multiple families, do you collaborate on what rounds you'll all use? That is everyone uses a .223 for long gun and 9mm for a your side arms.

I'm not looking at this as a militia group, but more as a group of multiple families with kids who just want to protect their families.

How important is consistency in calibers within an MSG to you? Just go with what is good for each family or use the same calibers as a better way to support each other?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Definitely. Mine and two other families have agreed on a caliber for both rifles and handguns. While we all have miscellaneous guns that we like to shoot we usually keep a minimum supply of 45 and .223 ammo stockpiled. While our stock fluctuates and we keep other calibers just for plinking none of us ever go below 1000 rounds of 45 and .223

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    We have done the same, we have all decided on the most common rounds/NATO rounds. We also reload so we have all the equipment for those rounds as well. The only weapon that we only have one of is a 357 revolver. We also reload shot shells. I think it is much better to discuss and all be on the same page when it comes to that because it is much easier to inventory ammo for 4 different calipers than it is to inventory for who knows how many.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    My two cents,

9mm
    45acp
    22 LR
    223/5.56
    12 gauge

40 and 7.62 are also popular calibers but personally I'd stick with the above list.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I wouldn't rule .40 s&w out. Besides it being my EDC there are at least two of the local PDs that carry that as well.

That could count for extra ammo floating around.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    45acp is not on my list, 7.62 x 39 & 54 (alot of nagants floating around and it packs a punch not to mention is inexpensive)

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My two cents,

9mm
    45acp
    22 LR
    223/5.56
    12 gauge

40 and 7.62 are also popular calibers but personally I'd stick with the above list.

We went with
    22 LR
    9 mm
    .223/5.56
    .308/7.62
    12 gauge
    For main weapons

We also have .380, 38, and 357 as back up or secondary's.

Like I stated above we also reload so that makes it much easier since we have dies, powders, primers, ballistics for all above mentioned rounds. We never go below 1,000 per caliber ready to go as well.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    The problem with everybody going with, say, .22LR, 9mm, .223/5.56, and 12ga at minimum is that you're going to be contending with everyone and their mothers for ammo. In the end, I see that ending up just as hard to get as obscure or less than common ammo.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The problem with everybody going with, say, .22LR, 9mm, .223/5.56, and 12ga at minimum is that you're going to be contending with everyone and their mothers for ammo. In the end, I see that ending up just as hard to get as obscure or less than common ammo.

That is one reason why I like having multiple calibers. If I find a round chances are better that I have a firearm that shoots it.

Besides, I have a whole lot of ammo already. Unless I have to bug out pronto I should be set for a while.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I think the implicit point of having "popular caliber" weapons is that ammunition will be easier to find because more people tend to use them. While there may be competition for similar types of ammunition, another implicit point is that scrounging ammunition from those who have not managed to survive will likely net the more popular calibers.

Certainly when I bought my first EDC pistol, I kept in mind that all the local law enforcement agencies were "standardized" with a particular caliber round.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Primary
    002.jpg

Back up
    009-1.jpg

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County

Depends, there will be more compition but I will be just as happy collecting the brass for reloads. The way I see it.... you need to have at least 1000 rds per gun no matter what caliber, but once they are gone, they are gone unless you have the ability to remake or reload and common rds will be much easier to find. sure you will find ammo out scrounging but I would bet that the police, military etc combined have millions of rds of 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 and 12 gauge. And if I am out scrounging and come up with some 40 and I don't own a 40 chances are there will be one to find somewhere close by since whoever owned the Ammo probably had a gun for it. I just won't be reliant on it at that time. If anything I can pull the ammo aprt for the powder lol.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Yah we've got most of those calibers and trying to keep at least 1,000 of each, but I'm the only one buying guns and ammo so it'll take awhile. I'd pick up a gun that shoots a .223/5.56 I just can't get over how small that round is. Figure .22's will be good enough.

Good to hear everyone's input.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm the guy with the 1050, 650 and MEC grabber, so I get to choose. 12ga, 308, 223, 9mm, 40SW, 45acp. Anything else and they're on their own time with the single stage press.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Depends, there will be more compition but I will be just as happy collecting the brass for reloads. The way I see it.... you need to have at least 1000 rds per gun no matter what caliber, but once they are gone, they are gone unless you have the ability to remake or reload and common rds will be much easier to find. sure you will find ammo out scrounging but I would bet that the police, military etc combined have millions of rds of 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 and 12 gauge. And if I am out scrounging and come up with some 40 and I don't own a 40 chances are there will be one to find somewhere close by since whoever owned the Ammo probably had a gun for it. I just won't be reliant on it at that time. If anything I can pull the ammo aprt for the powder lol.
    That makes sense. I did think of the scrounging aspect. Never thought of the scrounging for reload material, bartering, or finding the gun with it.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've thought about this frequently. I lean towards keeping only one or two calibers, but I cannot get past the thought of having multiple calibers, if for no other reason than to have them available. I have decided to keep more of .40 and .45 than anything else.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I wouldn't rule .40 s&w out. Besides it being my EDC there are at least two of the local PDs that carry that as well.

That could count for extra ammo floating around.

That's one of the reasons I said 40 and the 7.62 were also popular rounds.

With the popularity of the ak47, I imagine there's a lot of the 7.62 rounds to be found also.

Top Bottom