• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I'm still running on a permit. Before I start making calls, any chance I'll find a place to take the skills test anywhere on the first week of March? I have a vacation that week and my job is a pain in the donkey to schedule things because I can never count ony days off staying the same week to week anymore + schedules come out on Thursdays (and my next vacay is in November) The closer to the NW portion of the state the better but I'll ride anywhere if I have to and stay in a hotel if it comes to that.
    I let my license expire years ago when I didn’t ride any longer. I went to take another test and found that taking a three day Harley class better fit me. It was an awesome refresher course since it had been about 15 years last time on a bike.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm still running on a permit. Before I start making calls, any chance I'll find a place to take the skills test anywhere on the first week of March? I have a vacation that week and my job is a pain in the donkey to schedule things because I can never count ony days off staying the same week to week anymore + schedules come out on Thursdays (and my next vacay is in November) The closer to the NW portion of the state the better but I'll ride anywhere if I have to and stay in a hotel if it comes to that.

Are you looking for just the test, or going through the ABATE course? (I'd recommend the latter even if you're "experienced")

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Eh I don't want to pay the $100 to $300 these places want to teach me how to do something I've been doing frequently for months on the road and years on the dirt. I just wanna drop my $10 to $30 and do my skill test and be legal to ride past the stupid daylight hours if I want.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Eh I don't want to pay the $100 to $300 these places want to teach me how to do something I've been doing frequently for months on the road and years on the dirt. I just wanna drop my $10 to $30 and do my skill test and be legal to ride past the stupid daylight hours if I want.

Well, at least read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Chances are your local library has a copy.

You may want to email them: Contact Us - Motorcycle Rider Training of Indiana

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Just go straight to the license branch and take the test there. Not sure how they do the drivers test for bikes, might only be done on limited days, but you don't have to pay a private group to get a motorcycle endorsement added to your driver's license.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got a DOT approved helmet?

There is a good chance it is not be worth what you paid for it. Turns out that DOT helmet certification is not done by the DOT but by the makers of the helmets.

The DOT will, potentially after a year or two on the market, randomly test some helmet models. Surprise! Over 43% of the models tested FAIL.

Riding is a very personal thing. Many people don't wear helmets, and that is a choice I support. But for those who do wear helmets (like me) we buy those helmets for a reason, to protect our head. When the DOT testing and certification is so lax that nearly half of the helmets fail the test after claiming to meet the standards then it's time to admit the DOT standard is, itself, a total failure.

Add to this problem is the fact that 1 of the tests required by the DOT is known to be fatal to humans. Yet that is a required test!?!

Personally I use SNELL rated helmets but there are other standards, like ESE, seems logical to pick anything other than the DOT sticker if you want a safe helmet.

LINK ==> https://www.webbikeworld.com/dot-helmet-failure-rate-is-now-43-percent/

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Per the BMV website, they don't do the skills test at branches. You have to go through one of the certified training providers.

I emailed one of them and they said the end of April :rolleyes:

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Although a while back I was an experienced rider, last summer I took a motorcycle course when Mrs. MarkC and I inherited her late dad's motorcycle.

When Indiana first started requiring a separate endorsement for motorcycles, for a short period the BMV would grant the endorsement for prior riders just by asking. However, I didn't think I would ever ride again, so I didn't get it when it would have been easy.

Even as an experienced rider, the class was helpful, and I'm glad I took the training instead of just doing the skills test.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    If you want a license by then, your only option is to take class. I know abate was offering one at the motorcycle expo this weekend but it might be full.

Speaking of the expo, anyone going? My dad and I are going close to opening Friday.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Here is ABATE's schedule. Yeah, nothing until April. On top of that, not much as far as sights to the north. Elkhart is TBA...:xmad:

https://registration.abateonline.org/education/motorcycle-license-testing/

Yep, I looked at that a couple days ago. With the way this winter has gone, we should be seeing some nice weather early on and it sucks to still have to wait another 2½ months to get the endorsement and be able to ride after dark(I like to ride to work now and then) but it is what it is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not that I'd suggest sneaking, but the biggest problem with night riding is critters. Hit a critter when you aren't fully licensed and it may well end riding for you for years.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    We have mostly two legged critters where I live and work. They prefer to walk about at night with dark garments. And least the deer, yotes, etc have the common decency to have a tapetum lucidum in their eyes.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Not that I'd suggest sneaking, but the biggest problem with night riding is critters. Hit a critter when you aren't fully licensed and it may well end riding for you for years.

my dad got a bike last fall that I ride occasionally. I quit riding to work once it started getting dark on my way home. I work in a small town south of my town with farm fields all around. I lost count how many dead animals I’ve seen. Get them with a car, not going to injure you. Motorcycle, someone died on a bike trying to avoid an animal last year. Didn’t mind riding at night when I worked in town where I lived.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I will just have to take the written test as soon as we get moved into our home in Indiana. That is all that is required comming from Illinois and having the motorcycle endorsement from that state. Had the endorsement since I started riding in 1972, just after getting out of the Army. Jim.

Top Bottom