• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I took advantage of some 60 weather over the weekend. I don't know how much more of that we will be getting. What is your minimum riding temp? Mine is 50
    50930567_10213898194353916_4944938805871247360_n.jpg
    I don’t really have a minimum temp, but I won’t ride if there’s ice or snow on the road.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Any “darksiders” on here? I know this is INGO, but I’m really not looking for opinions of people with no experience... I’d like to hear from people who have ACTUALLY ran a car tire on the rear, and what they liked or disliked about it.

Old Dog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Any “darksiders” on here? I know this is INGO, but I’m really not looking for opinions of people with no experience... I’d like to hear from people who have ACTUALLY ran a car tire on the rear, and what they liked or disliked about it.

After reading articles by the MC tire and Car tire manufacturers, and looking closely at the difference in MC and car rims, I will not go Dark side. If you want to get info from those that are Dark siders go to GL1800Riders and search Dark side, it will keep you busy for a few days. Ride safe.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I can't help you - not an option for me, since I don't know of any 10" care tires. ;)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm new to street bikes so the lowest I've ridden is 45° one morning coming home from work.

That was a little uncomfortable but I had my riding jeans on and the liner was out of my jacket. I could probably go into the 30s with my liner in the jscket, and swap my riding jeans with a set of regular flannel lined + my armored overpants, and a warmer set of gloves.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don’t really have a minimum temp, but I won’t ride if there’s ice or snow on the road.

Same here. Gotta be dry roads at those temps.
    I thought about going to the dark side when I had my 03 Wing, but I like leaning over too much to go to a square tire.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, I wouldn't put a car tire on a MC because car tires are desiged to go in straight lines. MC tires are designed to be leaned on, so they're reinforced pretty much up "the sidewall".

It works, yes. But, if you blow out a rear in a turn, will your insurance adjuster say it was your fault and refuse any of your claim? Could they?

I'll stick with rubber designed for leaning over on :D

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I was on a group ride in southern Indiana and a guy on a Boss Hoss had to ride at the back of the group because he couldn’t hardly turn the thing thru the twisties.
    On a flat straight road it shouldn’t be a problem, but I like to lean waaaaay too much.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I was on a group ride in southern Indiana and a guy on a Boss Hoss had to ride at the back of the group because he couldn’t hardly turn the thing thru the twisties.
    On a flat straight road it shouldn’t be a problem, but I like to lean waaaaay too much.

I would say that it was the riders ability if he couldn't turn the thing in the twisties. I had a Bosshoss with the car tire on the back and it handled as good as any Harley/Cruiser I have owned or have rode. I have had sport bikes, sport touring, and touring, adventure, duel sports and cruisers and none of the cruisers handled great because of the lack of clearance while leaned over. The car tired bike(Bosshoss) because of its size looked like it wouldn't handle well but once you get used to it's size it was easy to ride and handled fine until it started dragging parts.
    I rode a couple of the later Bosshoss bikes with the motorcycle tire on the back and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference in the handling vs the car tire bike.
    I never rode a bike that had a car tire that originally came with a motorcycle tire so I can't comment about that but the Bosshoss did fine and I couldn't tell it had a car tire on the back.:twocents:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just picked up a HD detachable sissy bar for the wife and kiddos on the fxdls for 80 bucks on ebay for a fun winter project. Now to get some cash set aside for the other stuff I want to add, and it'll be golden :D

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have been out in the low 30's. Just dress for the temp, like snowmobile riders.

Been riding everyday it is dry this week, riding to work in a few minutes.

Don

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have been out in the low 30's. Just dress for the temp, like snowmobile riders.

Been riding everyday it is dry this week, riding to work in a few minutes.

Don
    I think much of the temperature issue also depends upon how and where people ride and the bikes they ride.

I'm a rural rider, with ADV/Touring bikes that have modest wind protection for upper body and nothing for my lower body. Most of my riding is at 45-55+ miles per hour on rural highways and roadways, and generally fairly long distances (the 4 nearest towns are 6, 7, 9 and 15 miles depending upon the direction I ride), and typical rides are 60-90 minutes if I am heading out to run an errand. I have a hard time keeping my legs warm on rides over 30 or 45 minutes because of the lack of wind protection, and that despite dressing for the wind with thermals, under insulated & rainproof motorcycle pants. I think I need heated gear for my legs.

Naked bike riders, on bobbers, sport bikes, super bikes, etc have zero wind protection and in worse shape than I am on an ADV style bike.

If I was commuting in the suburbs where speeds are lower temps would be less of an issue. If I had a big fiberglass fairing protecting my legs, body from wind, like on the big Goldwing or HD cruisers, wind and lower temps would also be far less of an issue. I'll be honest and say that at this time of the year, with temps in the 40s and 50's I get really jealous when I see guys riding behind those big protective fairings on their RoadKings, Chieftans, and Goldwings.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I rode out to Demotte from Gary yesterday(no reason, just to ride) I-65 there and IN-55 back so I was going highway speeds(possibly a little faster...maybe), wearing the following:

Top:
    Castle Atom modular helmet
    Street and Steel Redwood armored hoody
    Street and Steel denim vest
    A $4 Wal Mart T shirt.
    Some thin Icon leather and fabric gloves
    Man boobs and beer belly

Bottom:
    Street and Steel Kevlar lined/armored jeans
    Boxer briefs
    3/4 socks
    Merrell MOAB 2 boots
    My fat ass

And I ride a Honda Shadow Spirit.

In conclusion, you just need more Twinkies and pizza in your life.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    74392127_10215754562881969_6254713486790623232_n.jpg
    73286386_10215754559081874_5536712293405949952_n.jpg
    Nice riding weather today upper 50s. After getting home detailed her and put some seafoam in the fuel, plugged in the battery tender and covered her up. The forecast doesn't look too good.

Top Bottom