• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Didn't seem all that necessary since you answered your own question in the OP.

Also, the ABATE recommendations were in response to your question of how to get your endorsement without having a bike. (As well as just being good advice for anyone new to riding.)

Not sure where your butt-hurt is coming from. :dunno:

Also, where exactly did I ask this question?

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I missed the part about you not having a bike. If you don't have a friend with one that will let you borrow it to take the road course - your only options will be to:
    1. Take ABATE.
    2. Buy a bike, take the road course.

There is option "3" which is 'borrow a friend's bike to take the test'.

If you haven't done the slalom that is in the road test yet I know I wouldn't let you use my bike to do it - too likely that you'll lay it down. Those cones are pretty tight and most bikes do not corner well at low speed :).

That question was more of sarcasm for everyone blindly answering with "go take ABATE" instead of just saying "I don't know, haven't had to renew one" or "Oh yeah I renewed mine without having to take the written exam again, only had to pay the fee again!"

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Woah, slow your roll there chief.

Also, where exactly did I ask this question?

See below..........
    How?

I have no bike and it expires in plus or minus 30 days, which isn't enough time to do anything and why take another written exam when I don't have to?

That question was more of sarcasm for everyone blindly answering with "go take ABATE" instead of just saying "I don't know, haven't had to renew one" or "Oh yeah I renewed mine without having to take the written exam again, only had to pay the fee again!"

People are offering the ABATE as an option because you. don't. have. a. bike. and obviously something you have not thought of on your own.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sorry for not helping on the original question.

Here is how I read this quote:

A motorcycle learner's permit is valid for one year. If your motorcycle learner's permit expires it is no longer valid and you must apply for a new permit by taking the knowledge examination and vision screening test again, and presenting your documents of identification. Passing a new skills test also may be required.

A motorcycle learner’s permit may be renewed one time for a period of one year. If you do not obtain a motorcycle endorsement before the expiration of the renewed permit, you must wait one year to reapply for a new motorcycle learner’s permit.

The original permit is valid for 1 year - you know that.
    If it expires you need to take the written and maybe skills test to get a new one.
    It may be renewed 1 time, which once renewed, is valid for 1 additional year.
    If you still don't have your endorsement once the renewed permit expires you have to wait 1 full year before reapplying for a new permit.

Example: You get original permit Jan 2010, it gets renewed Jan 2011...Jan 2012 still no endorsement on the license, you have to wait until Jan 2013 to reapply for a new permit then the whole cycle repeats.

I don't see it saying anywhere that you can renew before it expires - you have to wait until it expires, re-take the written test, eye test, and maybe skills test.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Last time I try to offer you any advice.

Best of luck.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Sorry for not helping on the original question.

Here is how I read this quote:

The original permit is valid for 1 year - you know that.
    If it expires you need to take the written and maybe skills test to get a new one.
    It may be renewed 1 time, which once renewed, is valid for 1 additional year.
    If you still don't have your endorsement once the renewed permit expires you have to wait 1 full year before reapplying for a new permit.

Example: You get original permit Jan 2010, it gets renewed Jan 2011...Jan 2012 still no endorsement on the license, you have to wait until Jan 2013 to reapply for a new permit then the whole cycle repeats.

I don't see it saying anywhere that you can renew before it expires - you have to wait until it expires, re-take the written test, eye test, and maybe skills test.

It also does not say anywhere that you can't renew before it expires, so it kinda leaves it open for some sort of debate.

I'll have my answer when I call Monday.

Thank you for your time and help.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    The abate classes are given in June in my area! My advise is this. Since your not in a hurry to get your endorsement. I would go to your local dealership and they should have a form to fill out for the abate class. I would recommend this class for everyone regardless if you have your endorsement or not. You will learn something and you will get a deal on your insurance. After you pass, and very, very few don't. You walts down to the BMV and they stamp your "M" for ya! As Printcraft has already stated your options are limited cause you do not own a bike. I believe if you take the state driven skill test it has to be on YOUR bike. Plus by taking the abate class you are supporting a foundation that will support you much like the NRA. It's a win, win situation. Good luck.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The abate classes are given in June in my area! My advise is this. Since your not in a hurry to get your endorsement. I would go to your local dealership and they should have a form to fill out for the abate class. I would recommend this class for everyone regardless if you have your endorsement or not. You will learn something and you will get a deal on your insurance. After you pass, and very, very few don't. You walts down to the BMV and they stamp your "M" for ya! As Printcraft has already stated your options are limited cause you do not own a bike. I believe if you take the state driven skill test it has to be on YOUR bike. Plus by taking the abate class you are supporting a foundation that will support you much like the NRA. It's a win, win situation. Good luck.

MjAxMi0yN2M3MGNkODVmY2QxOGRl.png

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    This is not correct unless it changed in the last 4 years.
    May not be, use to be back in the day. Been awhile. They had guys taking the skills tests on Honda 250's then jumping on Goldwings after they passed. Wasn't sure if they stopped that. MHO, they should!!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    This whole thread should've been about renewing a learners permit nothing more, I don't know how it got so complicated.
    Well sparky, cause ya jumped the gun and got a permit for a piece of machinery you don't own!!! Duh! Kinda makes it hard to help the clueless!

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    The law in Indiana regarding motorcycle learner's permits either has or is about to change. This is to prevent the guys that have been renewing their permit every year without ever taking a riding skills course to get the endorsement. I know is has been repeated time and again in this thread but ABATE of Indiana can help you more than anyone. ABATE not only offers the Basic Rider Course but also does the testing for those that wish to get the endorsement without taking the course. Since they have started this you no longer need to do anything after course graduation except take the paperwork to the BMV and they will add the endorsement. And like was mentioned before, ABATE is the state level for protecting motorcyclists rights. Go to www.abateonline.org for more informatio.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    The law in Indiana regarding motorcycle learner's permits either has or is about to change. This is to prevent the guys that have been renewing their permit every year without ever taking a riding skills course to get the endorsement. I know is has been repeated time and again in this thread but ABATE of Indiana can help you more than anyone. ABATE not only offers the Basic Rider Course but also does the testing for those that wish to get the endorsement without taking the course. Since they have started this you no longer need to do anything after course graduation except take the paperwork to the BMV and they will add the endorsement. And like was mentioned before, ABATE is the state level for protecting motorcyclists rights. Go to www.abateonline.org for more informatio.

It would be more like two years and one in between, because you have to wait a year after you let the renewed permit expire to be able to renew again.

Well sparky, cause ya jumped the gun and got a permit for a piece of machinery you don't own!!! Duh! Kinda makes it hard to help the clueless!

Actually.....I do own a motorbike, it's just not street legal.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It would be more like two years and one in between, because you have to wait a year after you let the renewed permit expire to be able to renew again..

Wait, you have already renewed before and the second one is expiring? Please clarify because I am confused by the above. ^

A motorcycle learner’s permit may be renewed one time for a period of one year. If you do not obtain a motorcycle endorsement before the expiration of the renewed permit, you must wait one year to reapply for a new motorcycle learner’s permit.

If so and your 2nd permit expires you will be screwed for another year.

Top Bottom