• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzdank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2015
    Chesterton
    I'm just looking to see if I can cut through the learning curve a bit here.

I recently acquired a 12 gauge Browning Maxus with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Does anyone have any specific experience with this gun? I'd like to keep my slug selection to 5 types to decide what works best with the gun. Seems like the Hornady SST's, Remington Accutip, and Winchester Supreme Elite's are top dogs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Not with that gun, but after trying multiple brands (Brenneke, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, etc.), all me and dad shoot in our slug guns are 2 3/4 Remington CopperSolids.

Mine is an 870 pump with rifled barrel, scope mount, low power scope (1.5-4x?)

His is a Marlin 512 bolt action, rifled, low power scope.

Two different guns, both shoot CopperSolids the best, both will make 3 shot groups a large ragged hole at 75 yards. If they ever discontinue them (and at times they seem hard to find), I'll give Accu-Tips a shot.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm just looking to see if I can cut through the learning curve a bit here.

I recently acquired a 12 gauge Browning Maxus with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Does anyone have any specific experience with this gun? I'd like to keep my slug selection to 5 types to decide what works best with the gun. Seems like the Hornady SST's, Remington Accutip, and Winchester Supreme Elite's are top dogs.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    I have found the win xp3 300gr in 2.75" to be the most accurate... And dependable. I switched to hornady sst last year and my gun shot them similarly, but they didnt drop the two deer I shot like I am used to with the win partitions or more recently win xp3. Add to that I had a primer dimple and fail to fire on me the last day I hunted with a buck in my scope.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's like .22 LR ammunition. There's no way to know exactly what an individual barrel will do with a given slug ammo until you shoot some through it.

Buy the boxes that make you feel happy, and then get to the range to find out if they will shoot. Go slow and try to keep the barrel moderately cool.

-Nate

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My rifled barrel slug gun really likes solid copper Remingtons. The 2-3/4 almost touched holes at 100 yards, the 3" were a little bigger but still really good. Not quite a target rifle, but will reliably take a white tail.

jzdank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2015
    Chesterton
    Thanks all for the advice, sounds like those solid coppers need to be added to the test batch for sure.

A FTF on the last day?! Man, hope that wasn't a major heartbreaker!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My rifled barrel slug gun really likes solid copper Remingtons. The 2-3/4 almost touched holes at 100 yards, the 3" were a little bigger but still really good. Not quite a target rifle, but will reliably take a white tail.

Only taken 3 deer, but the largest only ran maybe 20 yards after hit (30 yard shot), and the other two fell where they stood... One was at about 5 yards (almost straight down under my treestand) and the other was about 65-70 yards. The solid copper body and 4 copper "petals" that break off on impact really put a knockdown on a deer. Dad has probably taken... 10? And his results are about the same. Before that we used smokepoles...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I pretty much quit slug gunning when Winchester dropped the High Impact Supremes.
    They shot sub 2" at 100 yards in a couple of Remington 870's.
    10 boxes at a time was pricey, but it meant I had them all from one lot#.
    Tested for cleaning interval and foulers.
    My old 870 and those slugs...........anything within 150 yards was a gimme IMHO.
    Think the farthest was maybe only 100 yds though.
    Did shoot deer past 150 with reg fosters, one gun running 3". But that was a POS Mossberg 835 and the slug bbl had a 3.5" chamber, which wouldn't shoot a variety of tested slugs worth a hoot.
    Rough bore, hell.............the cantilever didn't converge with the bore at first either.
    Last Mossberg I had.
    165 yards...........3 shots, 3 chest hits. 90 yards............1 shot, 1 chest hit.
    Buddy bought that bbl, said it did better with Lightfields in 3.5".
    Couldn't find that slug when I owned the bbl.

LGS bought out an old shops remnant stuff. Had a pile of Active 2 3/4" slugs. I loaded up on them and then found an 870P.
    That gun shot tolerable to 75 yards. Not ideal but usable.

Slug fragged. Reported criticism of that slug. Another person I knew used them yrs ago, same result.
    I wouldn't try them again.
    Had an 8 pt stop at 25yds. Nuked him.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    In my old smoothbore I use old school Brenneke Slugs, my son shoots a 20 ga rifled barreled 1187 and his just loves Lightfields, they are deer slayers easily out to 150 yards.

Top Bottom