mossberg500 vs remington 870 which is better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • which is the better shotgun?

• Total voters

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive owned both before in the past.thinking about get another.was curious of everyones thoughts of which gun is down right the better of the two.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    This battle has went on on this site many many times. Its all gonna come down to which one feels better to you. Some like the feel and the better look of the 870. But some of us like the better slide release location, and better safety location of the mossberg. Its a give and take sort of deal. For price I'll take the mossberg, but for available mods, I'll say the 870 since you can add mag extensions. (although my mossberg maverick 88 came stock with a 7 shot mag tube :D )

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i prefer the 870's.im not that huge of a fan of the mossy's just b/c the fore ends on them.even the ones that are brand new have alot of play and wobble to them.i just think the 870 is a better built gun.

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    I voted for the 870 since I currently own a few remi's but I had a Mossy 500 pursuader (pistol grip, ext tube, and metal guard) that was pretty sweet.

Remington for hunting, safety, and home defense (in order from left to right as most improtant to least important)

Mossy for tactical, home defense, and/or capacity. You may have to upgrade their stocks to a good Hogue Tamer pistol grip and forend to increase the overall quality. The safety and slide release are much nicer on the Mossy when you have a pistol grip on them compared to the Remi's.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I happen to have the Mossy so it has my vote.
    It was purchased for home defense, nothing more.
    It goes bang when its supposed to.
    It scatters the pellets like its supposed to.
    It does exactly whats expected, nothing less.
    Some like Fords, some Chevy's, end of the day, just perform the task at hand.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm voting 870. Had a combo kit for years and love it. That monster eats everything, breathes fire, and never burps. 26" smooth tube and a 20" rifled barrel for $350, you can't go wrong with that!

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    ill take the thumb safety any day over a tighter slide!!!!

nothing wrong with a "tight slide", but in this case its cool :D

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I own both. Have not shot the 870 as of yet, but will say that my 500 is dead on accurate with field and slug barrel. Have taken 4 deer with the Mossy and a turkey. So on that alone I will say the Mossberg. (It's a one sided decision)I am going to try the Remington out in the next couple of weeks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'll be watching this thread closely. I would like to pick up one or the other at the 1500 but had not made up my mind as of yet. Interesting points on both sides.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I prefer the 870 as well. My first shotgun was a mossberg 500A. I also had a Persuader I just got rid of a few months ago. The mossy is a good gun. But I too didn't care for the wobble of the forearm.

Got my first 870 two years ago and my second a week ago. I couldnt be happier with the 870. To me it just feels like its made better, more solid. I had trouble adjusting to the safety position and shell release location after my mossberg.

Like anything, you adjust and now its like clock work with the 870. I would have a hard time adjusting back.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    This battle has went on on this site many many times. Its all gonna come down to which one feels better to you. Some like the feel and the better look of the 870. But some of us like the better slide release location, and better safety location of the mossberg. Its a give and take sort of deal. For price I'll take the mossberg, but for available mods, I'll say the 870 since you can add mag extensions. (although my mossberg maverick 88 came stock with a 7 shot mag tube :D )

I agree and here we go again.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Have both the moss 500, and the 870 in my gun cabinet. I shoot the mossberg more often. I like them both, just like my moss a little better.

Top Bottom