• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyway the folks who maintain the whole "shotguns are clumsy to use indoors" arguement needs to explain to everyone why there are so many military & law enforcement special entry team members who use shotguns.

Seriously someone please answer this: if shotguns are so clumsy & unmaneuverable, then why do so many professionals who do this sort of stuff for a living choose shotguns?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Seriously someone please answer this: if shotguns are so clumsy & unmaneuverable, then why do so many professionals who do this sort of stuff for a living choose shotguns?

I believe the point being made is that shotguns (and carbines for that matter) are less maneuverable indoors than a handgun. That's pretty much undisputed.

A lot of times, the folks you're talking about don't choose the shotgun, but instead have one issued to them. The general trend among entry teams is toward carbines and away from shotguns and subguns. Shotguns are still widely issued to rank-and-file cops in many cases simply because of tradition, politics and budgets, not because they can do anything better than a carbine.

My :twocents:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    both my right and left shoulders have been replaced and I have been known to shoot 3" magnum slugs out of my shotty. other than my scar tissue I don't have any other pain then magnum induced.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Cosermann,

Was a personal attack like that really necessary to get your point across?

No personal attack was intended. If you look through my posts you'll see I'm not in the habit of attacking people and think I generally play well with others. You apparently appropriated my comments to yourself. If you want to do that, that's your business. If you want to defend your position, that would be great too. I'm always willing to learn something.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No personal attack was intended. I never used your name as you just did mine. You apparently appropriated my comments to yourself. If you want to do that, that's your business. If you want to defend your position, that would be great too. I'm always willing to learn something.

You must think me a fool.

I think it's probably best that I refrain from commenting further.

shooter521; said:
    I believe the point being made is that shotguns (and carbines for that matter) are less maneuverable indoors than a handgun. That's pretty much undisputed.

True but "less" maneuverable is one thing, "prohibitively" maneuverable is another, I'll grant the "less" arguement, not the "prohibitively" one.

With that said, is the trade off worth the tremendous upgrade in stopping power? it is to me.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    With that said, is the trade off worth the tremendous upgrade in stopping power?

It's only an upgrade if I can actually get the gun into position and make the shot - in some cases that might be possible with a shotgun, in others not. Like I said previously, both the handgun and the shotgun have their place in my home defense plan.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    mossberg is an excellent shotgun. the way the controls on it are placed, its easy to manipulate everything with your right hand. i carry one with me when were dismounted sometimes, depending on our mission. inside buildings, the shotty is an excellent weapon. mines the best of both worlds though, its a pistol grip. we call it the bitch. personally, id use one over a pistol for home defense. im fairly sure if i was in the process of a b&e and someone pumped a 12ga, id stop what i was doing and xfile. plus, if someone got the jump on you, and a struggle insued, a butt stroke to the dome is a good, less than lethal, way to end a robbery.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Like I said previously, both the handgun and the shotgun have their place in my home defense plan.

I like the team approach you described with your wife.

In addition to the other things you mentioned about entry teams, they operate as TEAMS, with defined sectors of fire, etc. The situation is a bit different with the lone homeowner wouldn't you say? Perhaps, with maybe the need to engage multiple adversaries quickly.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's only an upgrade if I can actually get the gun into position and make the shot - in some cases that might be possible with a shotgun, in others not. Like I said previously, both the handgun and the shotgun have their place in my home defense plan.

Shooter,

Oh sure I'll grant you that if someone's home is really small & has a cramped design/layout, then a shotgun might not be the best choice to have in their hands while investigating a bump in the night, that's just common sense.

I was taking issue with the blanket: "shotguns are to clumsy to use indoors" statements, which is of course just ridiculous as shotguns are widely used by professional entry teams.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Home defense is the homeowner's responsibility and that person knows his capabilities and home better than anyone else. So that person should choose the best tool for the job and if your opinion is different, well, so what?

As to the original post. I have a 500 tactical, I like it. The telescoping stock allows it to get short and still mount properly, it is a proven and reliable shotgun that will handle just about any 12G round you want to stoke it with. The recoil isn't bad with the stock er stock, but I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about 12g recoil as I kind of like it, maybe in a weird way. I've got mine in the bedroom (not in a weird way) loaded with five in the tube, none in the chamber and safety off. I have a forend light on the way for it. This is just one of my choices for home defense, I have others.

PS I have practiced with it in the house and have done it for real (false alarm), it is managable for me in my house and I'm confident with it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't want to be blasting anyone with pistol rounds inside the house, they pass through walls to easily. Bird shot in size 8 will blast a bad guy without over penetrating plaster walls and taking out the kids.

There is a great video on the net somewhere testing pistol rounds, buckshot and birdshot against plaster walls.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I have thought about buying a bean bag round for the first round in my 500. I too worry about going through walls, I have 4 girls. But the argument I have with myself is if someone breaks into my home while they are here then he deserves worse than pain.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    #8 is very lethal at close range, I personally don't see "a problem" with using it for HD, even though I believe 00 is a better choice.

The video I saw, which I can't seem to find on youtube again, showed the 00 buck penetrating the same as handgun rounds.

Top Bottom