• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Ok guys, just like the title says, what would your choice be and why. And to clarify, im talking about tactical pump shottys. Looking to make a purchase so what do you think.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

It seems better built and it doesn't jiggle/rattle nearly as much. Plus, Mossbergs have some quirks on how the pump and cycling works. I recently watched some of the video on Magpul's Art of the Dynamic Shotgun and they cover the quirks of cycling rounds and working around it.

For hunting or clays, it would be a toss up but for home defense. I have an 870

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    870 all the way. While I have no "technical" reason, I shoot the 870 so much better. I feel its tighter and built better (no factual backing just opinion). I also think the pump action on the 870 is a little smoother, the 500 felt "clangy" to me.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    It's personal choice, like the Ford & Chevy debate.

Both have endless aftermarket accessories,
    Both choices can be thrown, dropped, shot and stored dirty, and still function.
    Both are relative inexpensive to purchase and shoot.
    They make a great HD weapon with a wide choice of ammo, depending on your needs.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    For what its worth..I have owned both many times over in the past and still do today.

I love the way an 870 feels over a mossberg. I love the trigger. I hate the safety location of a factory 870 though over a mossbergs.

870's seem to fit better with aftermarket parts in my experience.

They really are like chevy vs. fords

However, the most important thing I can think of when owning a gun is reliability. I have had more than a couple 870's over the years jam up on various ammo brands during loading and/or FTE after.

I have never had a vital function issue with any of my Mossbergs. Even though they rattle a little more. They have earned my "go to" shotgun stamp at home.

Everything above is from my personal experience only before someone goes and gets all butthurt because this is a "vs." thread. I by no means am a know all in shotguns. Just sharing my experiences over the last +20 years of owning them.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I love my Talo 870. It seems Remington has a superior selection or at least vastly superior availability to find a host of tacticool options. I know the 500 has probably.as many options but they are not as readily available as for the 870.

The Remington 870 seems to be the hands down winner in retention of value as well. I love Remington shotguns. I have an 1100 & the 870, but I was trying to purchase a Mossberg 930spx that may have been a game changer but never acquired.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have owned both. While the Mossberg is a fine shotgun that will give good service, I personally prefer the Remington, if only for the ease with which it can be detail-stripped for maintenance and/or modification. I also recommend going with the LE/Mil models or older sporting models rather than the more recent ones, which have been "cheapened" considerably through the use of plastic components and lower quality finishes.

I recommend them in this order:
    Remington 870P or Wingmaster > Mossberg 590A1 > Remington 870 Express > Mossberg 500 > Maverick 88

FWIW.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I also recommend going with the LE/Mil models or older sporting models rather than the more recent ones, which have been "cheapened" considerably through the use of plastic components and lower quality finishes.

I have definitely seen a decrease in quality on 870 finishes lately. Especially those "powder coated" looking models. I would like to own a Marine magnum one day though. Just because I guess.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Neither. For pump guns my choice is a Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot, 20" heavy barrel, parkerized, ghost ring sights. Heavier barrel than the 500, magazine cap instead of sealed magazine (so you can clean it easier), and bayonet lug that accepts the same bayonets the M16 does. Plus you get an extra round of capacity. To some people a bayonet seems silly, but I think the one gun that oughta have a bayonet above all others is a shotgun.

It is my belief that the two best Special Purpose shotguns in existence are the 590A1 SPX and the 930SPX by Mossberg. Also, the 930SPX is advertised as a 7+1, but is actually a 7+1+1, as you can ghost load a round on the shell elevator. What other 9 shot semi auto do you know that has an 18.5" barrel and the compactness of a tubular magazine?
    50771.jpg

85360.jpg

both get the job done, but man those mossbergs rattle alot
    Maybe back in the 90s. Pick up a new one. Plus, in the last 10 years, I've run across 3 870s that had such crappy sights you had to adjust the rear all the way to the left to get on paper, 2 that had serious fit/finish issues, and one that we had to beat the butt of the gun on the floor to get the bolt to open, while holding the bolt release and pump.

Remington quality control has gone downhill big time ever since Freedom group bought them. Same with Marlin, Bushmaster, and all the other companies Cerberus owns. All the while Mossberg quality, product line, and innovation continues to flourish.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I must say that i have a warm and fuzzy fealing seeing that most favor the 870 seing that i myself also prefer this gun. But, i do know that mossberg makes a great shotgun as well but i think ill spend the extra money and go with remington. Maybe when i have some extra money lying around ill pick up a mossberg some time. Thanks for the input.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Neither. For pump guns my choice is a Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot, 20" heavy barrel, parkerized, ghost ring sights. Heavier barrel than the 500, magazine cap instead of sealed magazine (so you can clean it easier), and bayonet lug that accepts the same bayonets the M16 does. Plus you get an extra round of capacity. To some people a bayonet seems silly, but I think the one gun that oughta have a bayonet above all others is a shotgun.

Truly a thing of beauty.

I own a Mossberg, but have shot an 870 on numerous occasions. They will both do the job, but my personal preference is Mossberg. It just feels better in my hands. I've never had a single problem, and I have at least 300 rounds through it, many of them being cheap rounds at that.

Never noticed any rattle in it either.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    People always talk about the rattle of a 500. They rattle the first time you ever pull the trigger, and they are gonna rattle after you pull the trigger 20,000 times. Doesn't mean the gun doesn't work, or isn't gonna continue working well into the future. For about $250 you can get you a 500. If you wanna pony up the coin for an 870 because you're scared of a little bit of a rattle, go for it. Your call.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    870 from Tactical Shotgunner!!!! I love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. All weapons have some flaws, the trick is deciding which ones you can live with and which ones bug you so much you have to dump her... I mean sell the gun :laugh:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    870 from Tactical Shotgunner!!!! I love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. All weapons have some flaws, the trick is deciding which ones you can live with and which ones bug you so much you have to dump her... I mean sell the gun :laugh:

I like the way you put that. I think that both the 870 and 500 have been around long enough and have proven themselves to be more than reliable. As far as the mossberg, the only thing outside of the rattling that i dont like is its takedown. Remington is designed to break down easier which matters to me.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Mossi 590 without a doubt. Have owned both. Still have the Moss. Do not get the 870 express if you are thinking of it. Google the problems with this version. Its like someone said above, they have cheaped down this model. I say the Mossberg because it has a better trigger/safety layout. Theres a couple good videos out there on youtube comparing the two and i think they do a good job of showing some of the differences.

Top Bottom