• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I never really understand when people talk about the recoil from a 91/30, to me, it's just not much to speak of. I have, however, had some soreness caused by my M44 after 50 or 60 rounds.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I love my 91/30 as well. 5'8" 200lbs and I feel like I could shoot it all day no problem. Sure I'll be a little sore but so what?

My 12ga pump with bird shot hurts a lot more than my mosin!

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I took both my 1934 91/30 and 1945 M44 to the range Sunday. I had fired the 91/30 just once and hadn't fired the M44 yet (except with an adapter and 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol ammo).

I felt like the 91/30 had more recoil than the M44.

Trying it without my ear muffs for a round or two, I also felt like I could tolerate the report of the Mosins a lot better than that of my Glock .40 cal. More of a "roar" than the Glock's loud "bang" I guess. The other guys down the firing line sure looked though, when I first started firing the Mosins :D

I ended up just a little sore; no bruises.

I like the M44, but was really wanting an M38 when I bought it. One of these days. . .

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    I thought the M44 and my 8mm Mausers have all felt pretty tame.

^^^^^ This!!
    Most of my shotguns have a much harder kick then either of those. Maybe I am shooting these old weapons wrong. When I first shot my 91/30 I was ready to be kicked by a horse from what I had read about the kick ahead of time. I ran 4 different kinds of ammo threw her on the first outing waiting for the big kick. It never came.:dunno:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    The best way to shoot is to keep it low an towards your armpit, not your shoulder, then extend the rifle about 1 to 2 inches away from you to avoid the recoil, attempting to make the rifle snug on your shoulder is a misconception, with a scoped rifle follow the same thing while keeping your eye as close to the scope as you can for a good sight picture.

tumblr_kykzbxfn2n1qzh89mo1_500.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I went shooting today with a couple of friends. I brought my Mosin Nagant. They had never fired it before. Ken is about 5 foot 1 inch and Sam is about 6 feet tall. I shot it and they were surpised by the recoil. Ken said, "I don't think I am going to shoot it. I have to work tonight and I need my arm." He did give in and shot 3 rounds. That was enough for him. When I got home, my wife was in the room while I was changing clothes and saw my shoulder. She took a couple of pictures. Here they are. I only fired about 15 rounds. I will say that I was sitting on a picnic table straddling the seat. I say this because I have shot it before and it didn't leave a bruise. I don't know how those darn Russian soilders fired the Mosin Nagant all the time. I shot a Bushmaster AR-15 immediately after and the recoil was ridiculously light. Anyone else ever got a bruise from the Mosin Nagant?
    picture.php

picture.php

That's a HICKEY:D

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    I have a recently acquired K98 and 91/30 in the gun safe I have never fired. I was contemplating on whether I acutally wanted to shoot one or both. I was leaning toward not shooting them as I did not purchase them as shooters, but now I believe I will have to take them out just to see...

I normally don't bruise easily. I have shot 1903, 1917, MKIII's with no ill effects. I can't believe these will be worse...I'll just have to see (or feel) for myself!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The best way to shoot is to keep it low an towards your armpit, not your shoulder, then extend the rifle about 1 to 2 inches away from you to avoid the recoil, attempting to make the rifle snug on your shoulder is a misconception, with a scoped rifle follow the same thing while keeping your eye as close to the scope as you can for a good sight picture.

You don't play nice.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Maybe i just don't bruise or I'm not recoil sensitive. 91/30's have always felt like child's play to me. I've never been left with a bruise from ANY bolt action rifle, including my 6.5lb 7mm Rem Mag, all the way up to 10-20 rd sessions with .375.

If you don't normally bruise like a peach from all but the slightest impacts, and you're bruising from a 91/30 or M44, you're doing it wrong.

JMO.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Nope, never had a bruise from a mosin and been shooting mosins for 25 years. Have two boys and thay been shooting mosin's sence thay been eight and ten years old, and once one, of them had a bruise.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

:)::)::):

Top Bottom