• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I happened to see a friend of mine purchase a Mosin this weekend,and it was a beautiful rifle. Far different than the roughly machined war era,Russian product that is seen so often,this was a slick,well-machined weapon.A little historical research led us to the fact that prior to and during WW1,Remington entered into a contract to produce 1.5 million 91/30s. New England Westinghouse,1.8 million.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    We could see no military marks on it anywhere,the barrel bands are brass,and I believe it was a 91/30.I have read that the CMP gave these away in the early 1900s. It is 7.62x54.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I think Russia defaulted on payment or canceled the orders... Left the two companies in poor financial shape. US military basically bailed them out. They mentioned it on "Top Guns" earlier in the year.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    There is one in the War Memorial Museum downtown Indy in the WW1 rifle case. I glanced at it and thought it was a 9130 but it had a sticker above it saying it was a Remington. Somewhere I have a photo I will post if I can find it.

That is a great find. Do you know (roughly) how much he paid for it?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I happened to see a friend of mine purchase a Mosin this weekend,and it was a beautiful rifle. Far different than the roughly machined war era,Russian product that is seen so often,this was a slick,well-machined weapon.A little historical research led us to the fact that prior to and during WW1,Remington entered into a contract to produce 1.5 million 91/30s. New England Westinghouse,1.8 million.

I am really suprised that there aren't more floating around. Remington got stiffed on the order since the October Revolution happened. The U.S. Army actually bought a number of the rifles in order to train soldiers in the use of the Mosin for American Operations in Siberia. Many were rechambered for the 30-06 M1 ball, since that was the standard caliber for the Army, to facilitate training. I have one of the rechambered Mosins, stamped Remington, 1917. It is the only Mosin I own, and it was made on U.S. soil. How ironic is that?

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Ive heard/been told that the Westinghouse version is more rare than the Remington today. I'd like to find that out if true or not. I've gotten heavily into both the Mosin 91/30 and the Nagant 1895 revolvers. Its neat to find all the back history on them.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I am really suprised that there aren't more floating around. Remington got stiffed on the order since the October Revolution happened. The U.S. Army actually bought a number of the rifles in order to train soldiers in the use of the Mosin for American Operations in Siberia. Many were rechambered for the 30-06 M1 ball, since that was the standard caliber for the Army, to facilitate training. I have one of the rechambered Mosins, stamped Remington, 1917. It is the only Mosin I own, and it was made on U.S. soil. How ironic is that?

That is a nice find there.

Top Bottom