• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I am a newbie here not a paying supporter yet and have not made the 50 posts not able to reply in that section. I did see a Carcano in the classifieds not was interesting. Just got bite by the surplus bug so everything looks interesting.

Check ammo prices and availability. Might find something that's a bargain but there isn't any ammo. Having an idea on what ammo is around may give you some ideas for a rifle.
    Berthiers are just dead sexy... :)

View attachment 183708
    Ooh la la!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't believe we have had this thread on this long and no one mentioned the Mosin round is 7.62x54R...
    Well, it kinda was. Just nobody called attention to it...

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Check ammo prices and availability. Might find something that's a bargain but there isn't any ammo. Having an idea on what ammo is around may give you some ideas for a rifle.

Ooh la la!
    My Ruarl King is out of 7.62x54r a local shop still has a bunch price has doubled

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My Ruarl King is out of 7.62x54r a local shop still has a bunch price has doubled
    Unfortunately a lot, if not all, is imported. Most was coming out of Russia and even before the recent pleasantries that has been slowly decreasing. There is still some coming out of Serbia and other European countries but it is a relatively small amount compared to what was coming out of Russia. This is new production mind you, surplus had pretty well dried up a couple of years ago. Best bet is to get it from an online retailer and order a goodly amount.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    They are clunky, like a 100 year old farm implement. On the other had, I got one that had an armory rebuild and had a TIKKA barrel with a true .308 barrel. It shot really well with reloads using quality bullets. Still felt like a farm tool that was abandoned in an old barn, but the target groupings looked pretty good.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I
    I dont have one and feel like I need one prices have sure went up.
    I wouldn't waste your money now, unless you just want one for nostalgia. Too expensive for what you get. Plus ammo is much more expensive.

Just get an older used American made bolt gun. You can still find some old 30-06 gems if you look.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    View attachment 183461

I’ve had a couple and I like them, but I like old military guns for what they are and I don’t expect modern day performance from them. I my first one shot really well, inch and a half groups at 100 yards with iron sights. But I was 20 years old at the time and uneducated about corrosive surplus ammo and I corroded the barrel out. I got a another one for parts and swapped the barreled action, sanded and polyurethaned the stock, installed a bent bolt kit, and a modern scope. It’s no collector piece but I like it and it has a special place in my heart as my first gun I bought and my first gun project. Also, they were going for $100 when I got mine, not sure I’d pay todays prices for one though.
    Really nice piece.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I found a 80-year-old farm implement going to pick it up tomorrow. Hope its a good one will check it best I can before purchase. I trusted lgs said it was as nice as they come. Should be fun to shoot and ad to my collection.
    Don't be afraid of hurting it by using it. Don't be surprised when you can never get the bore clean. Go into it with eyes open and it is what it is and enjoy a piece of history...

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    I have a old Remmington .308 and a Weatherby 300 win mag this just be something different I don't expect it to be smooth or have a good trigger. Just function and accurate enough to be with in 3 inch at 100.

Top Bottom