• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Recently purchased an M28/30. Looks to be in prettuly good shape with what seems to be the original stock. I've been able to ID most of the markings save for one on the bolt. It's a "z". Anyone know who this is?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Probably just an inspector's mark. I checked a few of mine that have early bolts and all I looked at have a cyrillic letter in the same place. Didn't see any Zs on any of mine tho.
    Oh, and how about a few pics of the whole rifle?:)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A small amount of information from my book, "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" by Terrence W Lapin.

From the SkY there were about 40,000 made. Also, "Finland (Suojeluskuntain Yleisesikuntana; Civil Guard General Staff)

From the "D" next to the 1939 - "Finland (Stamped on barrels and/or stocks to indicate that the weapon had been reworked to fire the Finnish D166 cartridge."

From the side of the barrel "36 S 00" - Post 1934 SAKO high-pressure proof mark. Indicates 3,600 atmospheres, ie. 52,884 psi.

From the (SA) above the "36 S 00" - Finish Army property mark.

From the little hammer by the screw under the bolt - Russia. Mark of Tula-made parts.

From the HV on the magazine - Finland. Found on magazine housing; indicates the magazine has been lengthened to accommodate a longer round.

From the "D" on the bolt - I am presuming this is a stamp to indicate the weapon has been reworked to fire the Finnish D116 cartridge, but I AM NOT CERTAIN HERE.

From the "Z" on the bolt - The only possible reference is to possibly(?):dunno: an army depot mark, which can be an "L", "Z" or "S".

This is all I could find. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Doug

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Doug,
    Thank you for the additional information. Figuring out all of the marks on these rifles is one of the best parts. Oddly enough, even though the Tula hammer is present on the top of the receiver as well as the top of the rear tang along with the "19" date, it's actually a 1915 Izhevsk receiver per the stamp on the underside of the rear tang.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm not a big licorice fan, but I always pick some up for my MIL when I'm at Jungle Jim's. I WOULD like to find a correct sling and muzzle cap to go with it, but my Google-fu is failing me.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Cool, no place around here has it so I have to order mine. Good luck on the sling and cap, they can be hard to find.

You keep it in the fridge right brother???? I hope all is well with you and yours...Be heading west your way in a bit....

Hey dude, long time no see! Going to be over in your neighborhood next week, I'll be sure to stop in for a visit!

Top Bottom