More than half of immigrants on welfare...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I know this is asking too much of USA Today's integrity, but are we talking about legal or illegal immigrants? There seems to be a trend in the media to willfully conflate the two.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Immigrants are more likely to be working than their native-born neighbors. The report found that 87% of immigrant households had at least one worker, compared to 76% for native households.

At least we're subsidizing those job creators.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I know this is asking too much of USA Today's integrity, but are we talking about legal or illegal immigrants? There seems to be a trend in the media to willfully conflate the two.

Not to be argumentative, but should that really matter? If they come here is it too much to expect them to stand on their own and not be a burden?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Not to be argumentative, but should that really matter? If they come here is it too much to expect them to stand on their own and not be a burden?

What? Of course it does. No one here is saying legal immigrants shouldn't have to work. I think you will find that a very high percentage of legal immigrants do work. Even when American laws on licensing, etc., force them to step down from professional job levels to menial labor. Yet they stay in America, work and don't break the law. These are the people America should embrace.

As for illegal immigrants, they shouldn't be working, and they shouldn't be drawing benefits. In America, that is.

If it puts illegals in a better light, yes they do.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Lawful immigrants should absolutely stand on their own feet. When I moved here I was told in advance that I was ineligible of any form of public assistance for 10 years. As I understand it the overwhelming majority of lawful migrants are ineligible for public assistance for a significant time after they enter the country. But that isn't what my argument is about.

In attempting to paint all immigrants (legal and otherwise) with the same brush it distorts the arguments for amnesty, conditions people to believe that illegal immigration is more acceptable, and may end up provoking a backlash against all immigrants as people associate those who are in this country lawfully with those who see fit to disregard the law.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Per the article they are talking about LEGAL immigrants as the study was based on 2012 data of which included people who became naturalized citizen, permanent residents and those on visa.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    What? Of course it does. No one here is saying legal immigrants shouldn't have to work. I think you will find that a very high percentage of legal immigrants do work. Even when American laws on licensing, etc., force them to step down from professional job levels to menial labor. Yet they stay in America, work and don't break the law. These are the people America should embrace.

As for illegal immigrants, they shouldn't be working, and they shouldn't be drawing benefits. In America, that is.

If it puts illegals in a better light, yes they do.

Perhaps I didn't express myself properly. If they come here they shouldn't be getting any financial assistance from the US taxpayers. Regardless of their status of legal or not. The illegals obviously don't belong here, but neither do the legal ones that can't provide for themselves.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Perhaps I didn't express myself properly. If they come here they shouldn't be getting any financial assistance from the US taxpayers. Regardless of their status of legal or not. The illegals obviously don't belong here, but neither do the legal ones that can't provide for themselves.
    From what I have read, that is the case in most other countries. They do not want immigrants to come in and be freeloaders.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    From the study:

In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native households. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.

After reading the study, it looks like a large portion of these entitlements are for their natural-born children, which applies whether the immigrant is legal or illegal.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    From the study:

In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native households. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.

After reading the study, it looks like a large portion of these entitlements are for their natural-born children, which applies whether the immigrant is legal or illegal.
    It would be interesting to see the breakdown of that study to show;
    % of legal v illegal immigrants surveyed
    % of families with natural born children

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    From what I have read, that is the case in most other countries. They do not want immigrants to come in and be freeloaders.

Seriously, try to wrap your mind around the mentality that arrives at this being acceptable. They come here and directly impact the labor markets, lowering wages for everyone, by flooding the jobs marketplace with additional workers. They take a significant amount of their income and send it out of nation, directly impacting the local economies in which they have arrived. And then line up for benefits at nearly double the rate American families do? Holy ****, what a racket. Milking the US taxpayers for every damn drop. I don't care if the welfare is intended for their anchor children, you know food stamps are beneficial and being utilized by the entire family. These people knew fully well what they were doing when they came here. It's damn disgusting and this is one issue that Trump is right on target about. It's time to stop the politically correct bull**** and acknowledge we are being taken advantage of. Not just by the illegals, but also by complacent politicians and corporations that reap the benefits of cheaper labor and taxpayer subsidization as their workers receive welfare as a direct result of those artificially suppressed wages.

I see the free market people defending wages without ever taking these factors into consideration. When manufacturing jobs in my local region are playing the exact same amount as they were 25 years ago, you have to acknowledge there is some level of outside influence pulling strings.

Last edited:

dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    It might be 51% of "all" immigrants, but according to another story I read this week, 71% of the illegal immigrants are on some sort of welfare, food stamps, etc. They should not qualify for anything if they are illegal. Most of them make good money. I work around a lot of them in the construction trades. They make anywhere from $14 to $22 per hr. as masons, concrete finishers, and iron workers. Their "wives", if they are married go by a different last name. It's very common foe the man to be making $35,000 per ear and the woman to be signed up on every govt. program there is. .... and none of them pay any taxes, they get all of it back at the end of the year because they are not U.S. CITIZENS!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Seriously, try to wrap your mind around the mentality that arrives at this being acceptable. They come here and directly impact the labor markets, lowering wages for everyone, by flooding the jobs marketplace with additional workers. They take a significant amount of their income and send it out of nation, directly impacting the local economies in which they have arrived. And then line up for benefits at nearly double the rate American families do? Holy ****, what a racket. Milking the US taxpayers for every damn drop. I don't care if the welfare is intended for their anchor children, you know food stamps are beneficial and being utilized by the entire family. These people knew fully well what they were doing when they came here. It's damn disgusting and this is one issue that Trump is right on target about. It's time to stop the politically correct bull**** and acknowledge we are being taken advantage of. Not just by the illegals, but also by complacent politicians and corporations that reap the benefits of cheaper labor and taxpayer subsidization as their workers receive welfare as a direct result of those artificially suppressed wages.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AA&E again.

[/QUOTE] I see the free market people defending wages without ever taking these factors into consideration. [/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly! The free market doesn't work when the playing field is not level. The illegals have all sorts of unfair advantages when it comes to employment and welfare and I'm sick of it!

Top Bottom