• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Straub Draws Ire Of IMPD

Finally, there are also reports that Straub has tasked his deputy director, Jon Mayes, with fashioning a new gun ban ordinance that might pass constitutional scrutiny, especially as it applies to public property and parks. Gun rights activists were already distrustful of Straub when Ballard announced his appointment because of his support of gun ban laws in the past. At the rate he is going, Ballard is likely to be as unpopular with the police as his predecessor was when he sought re-election in 2007. And we all know how that race ended.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't think it's the parks part that should concern people, since they're already off limits and that's unlikely to change. The concerning part is the "public property" part. What is this guy going to consider public property? Sidewalks? City owned parking garages? Streets? There's a load of places that could fit into that category, including public housing (altho recent court decisions could render those places off limits).

I found the rest of the article to of greater interest. This guy's turned the IMPD into his own little kingdom and castrated the chief of police. Looks like Indy is headed in the direction of NYC and that place is a police hell hole, on many different levels. I almost feel sorry for the people in Indy. Almost.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I don't think it's the parks part that should concern people, since they're already off limits and that's unlikely to change. The concerning part is the "public property" part. What is this guy going to consider public property? Sidewalks? City owned parking garages? Streets? There's a load of places that could fit into that category, including public housing (altho recent court decisions could render those places off limits).

I found the rest of the article to of greater interest. This guy's turned the IMPD into his own little kingdom and castrated the chief of police. Looks like Indy is headed in the direction of NYC and that place is a police hell hole, on many different levels. I almost feel sorry for the people in Indy. Almost.

But Gee Whiz, HE is an East Coast Doctor, isn't HE Smarter than US Midwest Rubes :noway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think both Mister Straub and the so-called former Marine (who I believe disgraces the title and who, but for being admonished for doing so before, I would use the term "ex-" rather than "former") elected to the Mayor's office need a swift kick in the backside out of office, out of the state, out of politics and into the private sector where the only lives they can screw up are their own, and on their own dime, not that of the taxpayers.

When is nimrod Ballard's term of office up?

What about it, Indy? I can understand the fact that anything was better than what you had before and that Ballard's credentials fooled you... but how about electing an American this time? Lest anyone take offense, by that term I refer to someone who holds dear the principles our Founders revered, someone who respects the individual and his rights far more than any created control structure construct with an office and a title and a hefty taxpayer-funded paycheck.

FWIW, mrjarrell, streets (and possibly sidewalks) are pre-empted from his control by state statute:

IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23).
    (b) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.90-2010, SEC.8.
    IC 35-47-11-2
    Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
    Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.

IC 8-23-1-23
    "Highway, street, or road" defined
    Sec. 23. "Highway, street, or road" means a public way for purposes of vehicular traffic, including the entire area within the right-of-way. However, the term does not include a highway for purposes of IC 8-2.1.

IC 8-2.1-17-14
    "Public highway"
    Sec. 14. "Public highway" means a street, alley, road, highway, or thoroughfare in Indiana used by the traveling public.
    Nonetheless, yes, there is certainly reason for concern. Personally, I hope he keeps going with this. I hope he tries to do it up like Chicago with all of the "gun control" crap they have. I hope he p***es the electorate off something fierce and next election, they tar and feather the both of them and run them out of town on a rail.

In the meantime, I think he is completely impotent if the line officers refuse to enforce his dictates. They are a critical link; if they stop making arrests for BS, the courts can't convict anyone, and honestly, how many can he assign to the property room? How many can he suspend? It takes time to do a process to hire new officers, and the city/county council IIRC has to approve the money to allow him to do so.

Lastly, I would like to commend the officers of IMPD for the professionalism and dedication required to avoid a "blue flu". This would be taking the easy way of making a protest, but it jeopardizes the public, and there are still other options.

Blessings,
    Bill

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Why, hec yeah. We ain't nutt'n but a bunch a, gun totin' backwoods hilljacks. None of usn ever even see'd the big city afore. Them folk within them PHD's they's right smart, knows I don't need no gun, cept ta sit by my rockin chair and coon dawg. Heck... them big city boys, ain't had no gang banger in my neck a the woods... ever!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

They (anti's) are looking for ways to prohibit legal carry in larger areas of venue; Gun Free Zones for the upcoming Super Bowl, Black Expo etc. What better way for an anti gun Mayor than to bring in an outsider who is anti gun to do your bidding. These would include, the sidewalks, streets, parking garages, retail establishments etc. Maybe, creating Temp Special Park Zones to enforce their agenda

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Has he not seen the murder rate thus far for 2010? I personally would concern myself with taking the guns from the thugs and gang bangers and worry less about the law abiding citizens. But then again, that would make sense.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mayor Ballard

:patriot: If any of you want to talk to him personally, He occasoinlly works out a Westview Health club. His IMPD driver sits downstairs while he exercises upstairs. Thought about trying to talk to him on ocasion, but figured I'd get " call my office in the Morning" plus no matter how much I disagree with him I figure he deserves what little private time he get's. But if something ever really get me going...I might break that personal rule.
    :ingo:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    They (anti's) are looking for ways to prohibit legal carry in larger areas of venue; Gun Free Zones for the upcoming Super Bowl, Black Expo etc. What better way for an anti gun Mayor than to bring in an outsider who is anti gun to do your bidding. These would include, the sidewalks, streets, parking garages, retail establishments etc. Maybe, creating Temp Special Park Zones to enforce their agenda

Yeah, I work downtown, very near the Convention Center and Lucas Oil. I can't wait to see the details of his gun free zones for the Super Bowl. Since I REFUSE to go downtown unarmed at any time, I may have to take vacation time to avoid the issue.

I take a week of vacation during Black Expo, since even armed, I refuse to go down there during that yearly bloodbath.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With all the crime on the Monon now reaching north of the 60th street area (using that as a coordinate and not a real street), since that sorry excuse for a Marine who gives the service a black eye Ballard wants city parks to be criminal protection zones, when I now ride my bike on the Monon, I stop at 96th street, flip the bird south, turn around and head back north into Hamilton County which so far cares about honest people.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Glad I don't live anywhere near INDY with Ballard in office but I thought it was funny that he had a booth at the INDY 1500 gun show looking for support.

Seems like that would have been a lonely job working that booth.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Glad I don't live anywhere near INDY with Ballard in office but I thought it was funny that he had a booth at the INDY 1500 gun show looking for support.

Seems like that would have been a lonely job working that booth.

Don't count on it, there are LOTS of gun owners who don't pay attention and do not know that he runs an anti-gun administration. They're the same people voting for Dick Lugar because he's "conservative."

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Straub is an idiot. I dont care what he says, I carry everywhere, all the time.
    I guess I should realize that when I step onto park grounds that the invisible force field surrounding it will protect my family and I from the people who wish to harm us.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    :patriot: If any of you want to talk to him personally, He occasoinlly works out a Westview Health club. His IMPD driver sits downstairs while he exercises upstairs. Thought about trying to talk to him on ocasion, but figured I'd get " call my office in the Morning" plus no matter how much I disagree with him I figure he deserves what little private time he get's. But if something ever really get me going...I might break that personal rule.
    :ingo:

He chose to run for public office and become a "public servant". He deserves no such private time (outside of truly private places) until he returns to private life.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Don't count on it, there are LOTS of gun owners who don't pay attention and do not know that he runs an anti-gun administration. They're the same people voting for Dick Lugar because he's "conservative."
    Have you or anyone ever talked to them at the booth? I told them that I was suprised that they were there being that the mayor is anti-gun. The said what do you mean? I gave them a list of everything he has done against guns.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Why is everyone so concerned with this? Ballard and Frank have both said repeatedly, that they only want to get the illegal guns off the street. Now once the gangbangers and the other poor unfortunate, downtrodden, misunderstood fine upstanding citizens are disarmed, all will be well in Indy.

The crime rate will drop to almost nothing and love and happiness will prevail in the streets. You know the real problem is all of you law-abiding gun owners in Marion county, don't you?

Do it for the children ,think of them. Stop thinking of only you and your families. Spread the love and the wealth, please.

purple

Top Bottom