• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Hey guys I'm sure many of you have seen the video of the moose attacking the snowmobile driver, but I was curious what you guys thought of his reaction. About half of youtube thinks things could of gone a different direction. Honestly I'm not sure how I would have reacted, but other than waiting for the animal to leave I'm not sure there's much else he could of done. It's not everyday you see wild animals that not scared of humans and in the video It appears that's what the driver was hoping for.

[video=youtube;ImgFG0kMQ88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgFG0kMQ88[/video]

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Some people are more comfortable carrying that way... it didn't interfere with his self defense in this case.... I think the drive handled it perfectly.... and i cannot see myself doing anything different in that situation.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    By definition, aren't ALL moose attacks already animal attacks? ;)

I probably would not have continued to approach, until the animal moved on. I'm also assuming snowmachines don't have reverse?

The only "large" animal I have dealt with is black bears. When I've come across on on a trail/road, I make noise (like the video) and wait. Sometimes takes a while (that video was only 1.5 minutes total) for the animal to decide what to do and leave. In my experience, they have ALWAYS left after a while.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think he's lucky to be alive. Those hooves coming at you are no joke and they've killed their fare share of people. Probably would have been prudent to stop as soon as he saw the moose on the trail but I wouldn't think it necessary to try to accuse him of wrongdoing either.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I think he's lucky to be alive. Those hooves coming at you are no joke and they've killed their fare share of people. Probably would have been prudent to stop as soon as he saw the moose on the trail but I wouldn't think it necessary to try to accuse him of wrongdoing either.
    +1 to this. don't think he helped the situation by riding up, but after the first charge no sense in waiting for the moose to finish the job. objectively, would have preferred he stop to ensure the moose was down completely (coup de grace shot), but can't fault him for wanting to gtfo.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    +1 to this. don't think he helped the situation by riding up, but after the first charge no sense in waiting for the moose to finish the job. objectively, would have preferred he stop to ensure the moose was down completely (coup de grace shot), but can't fault him for wanting to gtfo.
    An injured animal is more dangerous than a healthy one. The moose would have likely acted more violently as he got closer. He should have turned around and found an alternate route...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I can't say I would have done any differently.
    I know that deer scatter better from the sound of a reved motorcycle engine than a horn. While I might have not approached as quickly after the moose first turned away, I certainly would have drawn as it turned back.
    I've heard a handfull of ugly stories while in Utah about moose attacks. They'll knock you down (just like that one attempted) and stomp you dead when you're down. I've kept plenty of distance from bedding moose but never had one head my way.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The Moose looked like it had a limp. Probably one reason it was using the trail. Getting closer to a Moose is not how you deal with one in any season.

Right now where I live the animals are worn out from the cold and deep snow. I am driving in town in a few minutes and I guarantee there will be deer where the snowmobile trail crosses the main road out of here. They are even reluctant to leave the road when they see you coming because they have to jump 8-6' high snow piles to do it. If they can run for a trail they do. Last night one ran up a snowmobile trail, then turned and came right back down it to the road and missed my truck by a few feet. Whether a snowmobile, wolf or coyote was coming I don't know, it may have just panicked knowing its buddies were on the other side.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I think he made a few mistakes.

He should not have drove closer until the moose had cleared the trail.

He should have drawn his weapon after the first time the moose made a move at him.

He should have shot when the moose made its attack move, he is lucky it didn't kill him.

It looked like the moose may or may not attack again and he shot...

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    The moose was there first fer Christ sakes. Guy makes wimpy, attack me noise, and rather than leave, the moose approaches. He should have got out of there then, but because he was armed he had more balls. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. Avoid at all costs. Instead, he approaches closer. Killing things sucks. Only as a last resort. Have you folks not seen AVATAR (purple)!!!!? The guy was on a pleasure cruise. The moose was living its life. Lock the SOB up!

Combine the helmet camera, the piece, and youtube, irresistible.:noway::noway::noway:
    Anyway that's how I see it.

p.s. the older I get, the less I see the point of killing things.

Last edited:

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN
    The moose was there first fer Christ sakes. Guy makes wimpy, attack me noise, and rather than leave, the moose approaches. He should have got out of there then, but because he was armed he had more balls. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. Avoid at all costs. Instead, he approaches closer. Killing things sucks. Only as a last resort. Have you folks not seen AVATAR (purple)!!!!? The guy was on a pleasure cruise. The moose was living its life. Lock the SOB up!

Combine the helmet camera, the piece, and youtube, irresistible.:noway::noway::noway:
    Anyway that's how I see it.

p.s. the older I get, the less I see the point of killing things.
    Did you not notice how deep the snow was after the moose attacked. If he would have got off of the pack the snowmobile would have sank. The woods was too thick to have gotten the speed needed to go across that snow (they don't have reverse). He did the right thing.

tfouty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I just watched it, had to "log in" on youtube to view it. It was an unfortunate situation. Looked like the moose felt trapped, snowmobile driver was definitely in danger. Maybe a shot into the air would have turned it around, or maybe provoked another attack. Wasn't there, I feel like I would have tried to get closer after the animal went down to confirm the shots were fatal. Just my 2 cents.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    His biggest mistake ... posting it to Youtube.

I'm not going to criticize his actions. Unless one is in that position, who knows how any of us would react. His handling of the situation was one of many possibilities when confronted and the adrenaline gets flowing. I don't know what I would have done personally, but I do know that I would not have posted that on Youtube. Sometimes what happens in the woods needs to stay in the woods.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The video been removed (even if you log-in). Is it this one by chance?

[video=youtube;F6A2FpqAahg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6A2FpqAahg[/video]

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unfortunate, but a good shoot to me:twocents:

I would have to agree.... Also, things are closer in real life than they appear on camera.
    That moose could have easily killed him. Fear of death or great bodily harm. It's not just for criminals.

Top Bottom