• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    Wow Thats nice. Anyone see the massive buck shot in Ohio? Go to Field and Stream to see the pictures. I can't see ever dear hunting again after a bagging buck the size of that Monster.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    i do have a question now that i have looked closely at the picture. how is that deers head standing straight up with the kid resting his hand on his ear? not hatin, just curious.
    Yes the picture does look a little fishey but I would love to see a deer that big in the woods. Opps had to save and zoom to see rope.

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I don't know guy's, it was written up in the local paper, doesn't that mean it "has" to be true?
    :D

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]11/20/2009 11:33:00 AM [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Email this articlePrint this article [/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Big-Time Buck[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Dale Hubler[/FONT]
    [FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Times-Union Sports Editor[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Bill Haywood, a Wabash County resident who works at Zimmer and has family in the Warsaw area, has been featured in a number of hunting magazines.

His 13-year-old son, Canaan Haywood, a home-schooler who lives in the Manchester Community School district, has magazines calling on him now after he shot an 18-point buck Saturday in Laketon.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Buckmaster, North American Whitetail, Rack and Indiana Outdoors have all contacted the Haywoods, wanting to do a story on Canaan Haywood and his big kill.

"I'm known internationally as a big-game hunter," said Bill Haywood. "I've been covered in several magazines, and Canaan wants to be like his daddy. We've already got magazines calling him and we did a four-hour photo shoot Tuesday."

Using a system to measure the deer's rack, Bill Haywood said it scored more than 200.

The deer also weighed more than 200 pounds.

"We hung it up and tried to using a 200-pound scale, but the head was still on the ground," said Bill Haywood. "It's maybe 240 pounds, I'm guessing. It's a big, big deer."

Canaan Haywood used one shot to put the deer down, and he and his father watched the deer for over an hour Saturday.

The area in which they were hunting, however, Bill Haywood said he's been scouting the area for quite some time.

"A farmer had a beaver problem, and he called me and asked if I'd come take care of it for him," said Bill Haywood. "I took out the dam for him, and he asked me if I'd like to go deer hunting there. It was the perfect area for a monster buck."

The area in which they found the big deer, Bill Haywood said he and his son took a boat across a lake, laid down a number of wood pallets on the soft land to walk on so they didn't make noise and then had to use machetes and a saw to cut through a jungle-like area in the woods.

"We made it through all that, and that put us in the deer's home," said Bill Haywood. "Last Saturday, with the wind right, we were able to get in there and harvest the buck. We watched him for over an hour before Canaan took his shot."

Canaan Haywood's big shot came from 150 yards away.

"It became an emotional time as we ran and jumped, thanking God, on our way to see the fallen giant," said Bill Haywood.

The deer is currently at the taxidermist's office.

Bill Haywood said that it's possible that an outdoors store like Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain or Cabelas could call and ask to display the big buck.

Canaan Haywood started big-game hunting when he was 8, and his first deer was a six-pointer.

He has also hunted and killed two bears.

Bill Haywood said he and his son have plans to go bear hunting in Quebec in May
    [/FONT]

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    REALLY?!?

:wtf:

haha!!! Tell me about it!! Same thing I was thinking!!?!? I sure think we do~ Just have to know the area they travel... I'vec seen deer that big down in Switzerland County. I could take that guy that said that we dont have those genetics RIGHT NOW down South and show him at least 4 in ONE Field. They are Always there Every Night together!! Right off of Big Doe Run in Switzerland County.

Oh well... Let them think that!! :D

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    i do have a question now that i have looked closely at the picture. how is that deers head standing straight up with the kid resting his hand on his ear? not hatin, just curious.

I don't know if they did this, but there is a good reason for it... It's a little trick I learned from a hunting magazine or video which provided pointers to taking good photographs of the animals after the kill. In order to take a good photograph, it is recommended to tuck the legs of the deer under the body as if he were in a bedded position. It's easiest if he is up against a tree to help prevent him from falling over. You then place an appropriate length stick between the deer's chin and the ground to hold the head up at the position you want for the photograph. Once you have the deer in the position you would like for your photograph, you simply wait for rigamortis. Then you remove the stick and it appears the deer is still alive and in a bedded position. The quality of your photographs will improve as a result. Of course, all this takes time and in a lot of cases, you will run out of daylight before you can take the photograph, but if you have the time, it's worth it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't know if they did this, but there is a good reason for it... It's a little trick I learned from a hunting magazine or video which provided pointers to taking good photographs of the animals after the kill. In order to take a good photograph, it is recommended to tuck the legs of the deer under the body as if he were in a bedded position. It's easiest if he is up against a tree to help prevent him from falling over. You then place an appropriate length stick between the deer's chin and the ground to hold the head up at the position you want for the photograph. Once you have the deer in the position you would like for your photograph, you simply wait for rigamortis. Then you remove the stick and it appears the deer is still alive and in a bedded position. The quality of your photographs will improve as a result. Of course, all this takes time and in a lot of cases, you will run out of daylight before you can take the photograph, but if you have the time, it's worth it.

see post 14. its a rope

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    Okay, it's a rope holding the head up. Don't you think it's still good information to pass along to the other people reading this? I thought so when I read it in a hunting magazine (or learned it on a video...I can't remember which). If you have the time, it's a lot better than having a rope in your photograph.

deernut46992

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Wabash County
    I have a few things to say about the young boys deer. I have talked to people who know him and the harvest was legal. As for the deer escaping from the high fenced area in Peru. Come on. This deer was harvested over 20 miles from there. One heck of a journey. Take a look at the quality of deer being harvested in Wabash county this year. There has been over 30 deer checked in that have scored over 140". That kid killed his deer within 3 miles from where I hunt. In this area there has been 4 deer harvested that gross over 160". Mine went 162" and had 4 points busted or it would have went 180". The genetics for Indiana are great and the one buck rule is starting to show. Oh ya, my deer was aged at 3-1/2 years. Why do people think that just because someone gets a big buck that it was illegally taken. Are people jealous because they are not lucky? Enough said.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The fact is that this deer was planted. It was originally abducted by aliens some years ago, only after they finished with all their genetic testing and manipulation was it actually brought back and released into the wild. This young man may have saved the entire human race by harvesting this deer. Rusty Shackleford told me just this morning that the genetic manipulation done by the aliens was to create a breed of super deer that eat nothing but human flesh. This deer was designed to take over the planet. Thanks to one young boy we are now all saved... Way to go kid +1... ;)

Top Bottom