• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    What's a simple solution to calculate scope canted base needed.? Putting together a tikka t1x for prs22/nrl22 base class using an arken sh4j gen ii 6x24x50. I know I'm good out to 100 yds but not sure if my 20 moa base is adequate enough for prs matches knowing they push the distance alot farther than nrl22 matches.

JEOgle

@Rogle_Tactical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 8, 2023
    Indianapolis, IN
    See how much elevation you have from your zero to maxed out. Run it against your ballistics calculator (Applied ballistics etc) and see how far you can go with what you have. If you need more change the scope or the base. Chances are you'll be fine with a 20moa base.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    See how much elevation you have from your zero to maxed out. Run it against your ballistics calculator (Applied ballistics etc) and see how far you can go with what you have. If you need more change the scope or the base. Chances are you'll be fine with a 20moa base.
    Currently have the arken ballistic calculator but still unsure how to calculate and figure out if my scope has the ability to do what I need to do

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Currently have the arken ballistic calculator but still unsure how to calculate and figure out if my scope has the ability to do what I need to do
    Do you know how to calculate MOA for the yardage you're shooting? The ballistic calculator will give you the bullet drop in inches or feet. You then transform that into MOA. Your scope specs will tell you the maximum MOA travel of the reticle. If the bullet drop you calculated exceeds the travel of your scope plus your base you will have issues.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Do you know how to calculate MOA for the yardage you're shooting? The ballistic calculator will give you the bullet drop in inches or feet. You then transform that into MOA. Your scope specs will tell you the maximum MOA travel of the reticle. If the bullet drop you calculated exceeds the travel of your scope plus your base you will have issues.
    Ballistic calculator says for 350 yards need to have 46.58 moa/13.55 mils. That equates to 170.78 inches of drop or 14.23 feet. Scope specs are 32 mils of elevation adj or 108.8 moa. That's best info I could figure out.

JEOgle

@Rogle_Tactical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 8, 2023
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ballistic calculator says for 350 yards need to have 46.58 moa/13.55 mils. That equates to 170.78 inches of drop or 14.23 feet. Scope specs are 32 mils of elevation adj or 108.8 moa. That's best info I could figure out.

32 mils from bottom to top maybe. If you're scope is zeroed at say 50 yards then spin the turret up and see how many mils/moa from your 50 yard zero. if you have 47 moa ish then you're fine for your 350 yard shot.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    32 mils from bottom to top maybe. If you're scope is zeroed at say 50 yards then spin the turret up and see how many mils/moa from your 50 yard zero. if you have 47 moa ish then you're fine for your 350 yard shot.
    Can I figure that out without being on the range because I currently have a 200 yd range maximum

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    An MOA is an MOA. It’s a linear mathematical relationship. The basis is 1 MOA = 1 Inch at 100 yds. So if you work at 25 yds., 1MOA = 1/4 inch. If you like to walk, then shoot at 200 yds. Then 1 MOA = 2 inches. Got a gator, then shoot at 500 yds. and 1 MOA = 5 inches.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    I'm a rookie to having a mil reticle scope when you raise the windage turret what measurement are the hash marks that run horizontal?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You will need to consult the manufacturers reticle information to learn what the different subtensions measure. Similarly, you need to consult with the scope manufacturer to learn what each click of the turret equals.

Mils work the same as MOA, just different multipliers.

Also, windage is left and right. Elevation is up an down.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    You will need to consult the manufacturers reticle information to learn what the different subtensions measure. Similarly, you need to consult with the scope manufacturer to learn what each click of the turret equals.

Mils work the same as MOA, just different multipliers.

Also, windage is left and right. Elevation is up an down.
    Ok thanks for the info

Top Bottom