• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well since I got a case tumbler and loading press I decided I would clean up some brass I have until I get my loading dyes (forgot them...doh!).

I have the Berry Vibratory tumbler, and some Kempf media (don't know what's in it, but it looks like kitty litter with some polish/wax).
    P6260152.JPG

The dirty cases.
    P6260150.JPG

P6260151.JPG

All loaded up.
    P6260153.JPG

ALL CLEAN!
    P6280157.JPG

DIRTY media (you can see it almost looks black next to the fresh stuff).
    P6280154.JPG

Would you guys reuse the media again? I know lots of people reuse it, but this is just pure black compared to the fresh stuff. Is it still good? Should I try a different media? Please give me your thoughts.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive put about 1200 extreamly dirty 5.56 brass through the same bowl of corn cob brass and its just now time to change the media. its taking about 10 hours to get the brass clean as i like, but i take alot of pride in my nice clean shiny brass.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I just use a rock tumbler with rice, leave 'em in overnight.

Doesn't polish them though, just cleans 'em - but there's some polishing media that came with the tumbler; might have to run it through the fine stuff and see what happens.

Josh <><

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I left this batch on while I went to work (6pm till about 5am), so I don't really know how long it took to clean/polish. I don't really mind because I can do this all the time, or leave it over night. As long as its shiny and clean when it comes out thats fine by me, be it 3 hours, or 10 hours. I guess I'll just keep using it, and when it doesn't do the job in those 10-12 hrs, I'll change it out.

Thanks guys.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I use my media for a VERY VERY long time.... 8 pounds has lasted me 5 years and i just added the rest..... your media will turn that color almost immediatly and will stay that color... when it starts to get almost blackish instead of greyish like yours is then its time to replace... you still have probably 5,000 rounds to tumble with that media if not more....

i also recomend FLITZ media additive.... it works wonders.

For what its worth.... i use the tumble overnight method as well and its worked fine for me.... i am just now to the point where i think i need another tumbler if nothing else for the convienence.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    IGW good to hear from you. I remember you talking about that FLITZ at your class. I asked the guy at the shop about it, but he said this had everything already added to it, so I was g2g. If I use this stuff up, I'll probably try some corn cob media with the FLITZ the next time round.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    actually after looking at it further it looks IDENTICAL to what my corn cob media looks like....

how do you like the berries tumbler? have been consider that for my second one.... either that or i go all out and get a rotary tumbler.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    It seems to do the job really well. Like I said, I don't know exactly how long it took, but the manual says about 30min-1 hour to clean, and then "more time to polish". It's pretty quiet, I just put it on my deck and could barely hear it inside, and our walls are pretty thin. I'll post an update after I get some more rounds though it. First batch was only about 280 .40S&W, but I went to the range today, and will probably go again later this week. Also I'm hoping to start shooting the .308 within the next week or two so that'll give me even more brass!

edit:
    Put a dryer sheet in with it. Be surprised.

Josh <><

Yea thats what vette told me to try, and I'll do that with the next batch of brass.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    If you want to buy some cheap media, stop by petsmart and get a bag of lizard litter - it's finely ground walnut hulls. Dump a capfull of NuFinish car wax thinned with a little paint thinner into the media while the tumbler is running (with only the media in the bowl, no brass). Let it tumble about 15-minutes, then add your brass. You shouldn't need to add the wax again and you can use the media to polish many, many cases.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    You know, that Berry tumbler looks just like the new Frankford Arsenal I bought. Midway had a deal on them a while back, so I bought one. Came with the new rotary separator and the 3 gallon bucket to catch the media. And speaking of media...
    and get a bag of lizard litter - it's finely ground walnut hulls.

That's what came with the new tumbler; ground walnut hulls! Worked pretty nice too. I left it on for about three hours, and had nice shiny brass from some range brass I bought. It was fast compared to the corn cob media I'd used before. Frankford Arsenal also sent along some of their polisher additive (which, amazingly, looks a lot like NuFinish :) ) but I didn't add any.

My walnut media looks a bit finer ground than your media does, I noticed.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    With my original media I've done approximately...

2k .223 Remington Brass
    7k .45ACP Brass

I've always let it tumble for anywhere from 3-6 hours, depending on how much time I have available at that time. Looks great to me!

Top Bottom