• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should welfare pay more than bagging groceries?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Helping someone who is in need isn't welfare.
    It's a moral obligation promoted by EVERY religion on the planet.
    What pisses me off are the "Puppy Mills" that churn out babies every nine months just to get a fatter Welfare check.
    Then the Mommas abandon the kids to the streets where they learn to milk the system to the max, and take from others who work for a living. :xmad:
    As far as Minimum Wage goes, that was another one of FDR's, and his Progressive buddies, parlor tricks to make the "Common Man" (Peasants and uneducated masses) think he was looking out for them. :poop:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    What really gets me is that I have a good friend who was laid off from his full-time job and has been actively looking for work ever since (with unemployment ending next spring. His problem? He has cerebral palsy. He walks uneasily, can speak (to those who know his inflections well), and is a good web designer.

He is the epitome of the not-mooch and doesn't want to be on welfare any more than I do, but if no one will hire him, what is he to do?

I don't generally support welfare, but the fact is that it's already here, and no one else is stepping up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Helping someone who is in need isn't welfare.
    It's a moral obligation promoted by EVERY religion on the planet.

What pisses me off are the "Puppy Mills" that churn out babies every nine months just to get a fatter Welfare check.
    Then the Mommas abandon the kids to the streets where they learn to milk the system to the max, and take from others who work for a living. :xmad:
    As far as Minimum Wage goes, that was another one of FDR's, and his Progressive buddies, parlor tricks to make the "Common Man" (Peasants and uneducated masses) think he was looking out for them. :poop:

Quite right. We call it charity, because that's exactly what it is: me giving you something of mine you haven't earned from me for whatever reason I deem fit. :yesway: Welfare is meant to discourage problems in society, or end poverty or some such nonsense. It is also generally paid for by everyone in this big collectivist grouphug :n00b: HUUUGE difference.

Minimum Wage needs to be abolished, but welfare even more so, if I had to choose one to go first. Minimum wage at least requires someone to work, after all, even if they are paid far more than they're really worth.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What really gets me is that I have a good friend who was laid off from his full-time job and has been actively looking for work ever since (with unemployment ending next spring. His problem? He has cerebral palsy. He walks uneasily, can speak (to those who know his inflections well), and is a good web designer.

He is the epitome of the not-mooch and doesn't want to be on welfare any more than I do, but if no one will hire him, what is he to do?

I don't generally support welfare, but the fact is that it's already here, and no one else is stepping up.
    I know exactly what hes going thru as I spent over a year looking for a job. I am partialy blind but not completely so i can still work but no one sees it that way. I would suggest he see if he can get help via FSSA. They have job help and he may qualify. They are even helping with paying for school so I can get a job as most entry level spots were turning me down some even once they saw i was impaired. Now I am a sysadmin and computer network designer. I would also suggest possibly looking at easterseals as well as they could help with a job possibly.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

Your friend should go into buiness for himself. I have a freind from my last job that does web design on the side part time. Makes a decent 2nd income for him. Perhaps he could begin by becomming an INGO member and offering his services to advertiesers here upgrading their websites. Not haveing much luck myself, that's why I make the tables and benches and sell them here as an INGO Hobbyist. It could be a long time between jobs. And I may not have much chioice but to try for disability for my arthitis, if no job is offered. I mean who wants to hire a 52 yr old with bad hands and feet?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You can raise a family on minimum wage if you work enough hours and do not buy useless crap. If you have a family to take care of you do what you must to provide the essentials. Even if that means having 2 minimum wage jobs to get it done.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Minimum wage doesn't help anyone and it hurts those people making wages that above the minimum wage.

As an example, I took a part time job on my off days and worked as an OR tech, back them I was making 11 bucks an hour, minimum wage was 4.35. By the end of the year minimum went up to 5.50 and prices on everything went up accordingly.

Minimum wage earners broke even and everyone else got screwed.

Abolish federal minimum wages at a minimum, work on state minimums next.

Welfare... depends on what you are considering welfare...

I'd venture to say 99% of the people on this board are on the take and getting subsidies.

Social Security, homestead tax credits, mortgage credits, renters credits, home office, uniforms ect. ect.

These are all forms of welfare.

Is it any different getting $1,000 off your property tax bill as opposed to getting a trunk full of government cheese?

All you old timers on SS, you are taking money from MY paycheck (and all the other workers) every week, just like your parents took your weekly wages before them. YOU are on welfare.

Welfare, taxes (including tax credits) and all the other social programs (including minimum wage) are WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION.

You (and I) are all on the take, so get off your high horses.

The only way to fix it is to end all the wealth redistribution programs. No one is willing to do it though.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't say that the min wage guy broke even. He probably got fired because the manager could only afford to hire 8 guys instead of 10, since his labor costs increased by 20%.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I wouldn't say that the min wage guy broke even. He probably got fired because the manager could only afford to hire 8 guys instead of 10, since his labor costs increased by 20%.

In that instance the direct cause and effect of price increases seemed to even it out.

I don't recall any stories or talk of people being laid off, just price increases. Of course it probably did stifle new hires, but it's harder to quantify that.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Some people are simply not skilled enough - yet - to earn the minimum wage. One way to look at the minimum wage law is that it prohibits hiring these people. If they could be hired for $4 or $5 an hour, they could learn basic job skills: getting up in time, dealing with others, taking direction, seeing a job through, and even some more valuable skills. Instead, our policies lead to there sitting at home or standing on the corners.

There are other benefits from a job aside from the hourly wage, and we need more people getting on board. No minimum wage.

As for welfare, or any other form of assistance, we probably need it in some form. However, these people should be working too. They need to be getting up and reporting for work detail somewhere. I see graffiti on walls and trash in the streets. Let them work on these things, and like minimum wage jobs, begin to understand the benefits of having work in one's life.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I meant to add that I'm comforted to see so many people here who 'get it' when it comes to work and economics.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Welfare... depends on what you are considering welfare...

I'd venture to say 99% of the people on this board are on the take and getting subsidies.

Social Security, homestead tax credits, mortgage credits, renters credits, home office, uniforms ect. ect.

These are all forms of welfare.

Is it any different getting $1,000 off your property tax bill as opposed to getting a trunk full of government cheese?

All you old timers on SS, you are taking money from MY paycheck (and all the other workers) every week, just like your parents took your weekly wages before them. YOU are on welfare.

Welfare, taxes (including tax credits) and all the other social programs (including minimum wage) are WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION.

You (and I) are all on the take, so get off your high horses.

The only way to fix it is to end all the wealth redistribution programs. No one is willing to do it though.

While I more than agree with your general message, please bear in mind that we're not subsidized until we reach the tipping point of receiving more than we're paying. A coworker of mine with 6 kids receives much more than he pays. My wife & I, married 12 years & childless until adoption next February, have paid much more than we've received. My single buddies pay even more....though they take the tax exemptions they're permitted.

Top Bottom