• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    It’s been a while since we’ve had a good “range bag” thread, so I figured I would own up to the commitment I made long ago to post a report/detail on my range bag and setup. I own several range bags for various degrees of need. In the first picture you see two of my range bags for size comparison. One is the bag up for review, the “Midway Competition Range Bag”, and the other is my "quick use" bag. I know many INGO’ers already use the Midway bag, but this should give a good idea of the size and capacity to those who are unfamiliar.

The Midway bag is setup for my personal preferences, and is setup as my “weekender” range bag. On most occasions that I get to throw projectiles down range, I take a long drive to the farm and it is an all day or all weekend (camping) event, so the bag is setup accordingly. Additionally, one never knows how many guests will end up at the farm to partake, so I plan ahead and try to accommodate as many people as possible. If I am just headed to the local range for an hour or so, I will transfer the necessities to my quick use bag and take off without the need to haul the weight and size of the Midway bag.

I have owned the Midway bag for approximately one year now. The bag is constructed very well with good thick nylon material, rugged zippers, and large metal hardware. My bag when full probably weighs around 35 pounds, and it has had no problems carrying that weight via the shoulder strap with no visible wear or tear.

Now…onto the good stuff…the contents!

Front Bag Pocket with Midway Logo:

Contents: Notepad for writing down range info/notes, Mini Flashlight, Knife, (2) Leathermans Tools, Set of Sharpie Mini’s, Midland Radio for talking down/around range and farm, lighters, pen, UpLula, good ear plugs, cord for hearing protection/midland integration, and a breakdown cleaning rod (especially for stuck cases/jams).

Side Pocket next to beverage holder:

Contents: Breakfree and Hoppe’s gun cloth are placed in the beverage holder. The following tools are all placed in the Crown Royal bag and placed into this pocket: AR tool, wire cutters, adjustable wrench, pliers, needle nose pliers, screwdriver with self storing multiple heads, hex key sets, punch set, and mini vise grips.

Side Pocket next to luggage tag insert:

Contents: Trash bags, (2) Poncho’s, environmentally friendly wipes (can leave on ground), binoculars, first aid kit, sun screen, insect repellent, and hand sanitizer.

Double back pockets:

Contents: Ear Protection Headsets (4) pair, along with several disposable ear plugs. (Note, the midland radio does not belong in this picture, not sure how it got thrown in.)

Interior:

Contents: On one side of the interior I put masking tape, duct tape, staple gun and extra staples. On the other side I have a folder with some printed targets, miscellaneous paperwork, and a copy of my NFA Form 4. In between the interior side pockets and the central compartment are (2) pistol rugs, one on each side. In the central compartment of the interior is my eye protection (2) sets, and depending on firearm selection it also houses some ammo and magazines.

There are still many unused pockets and zippers within this bag. It is enormous, well made, and for $39.99 (on sale often at this price) it is an absolute steal in my book!!

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    they will carry some weight. last weekend i had a 10-8-6-and 4 inch 3/8 ar500 steel targets (id guess 30lbs of steel) and packed level with ammo. i bet the bag weighed 50-60lbs and i didn't break the strap

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm modifying my 10/22 in to a LTR and will be attending my first Appleseed shoot this summer. Since I'm putting in an order to Midway, I think I'll save on the shipping and pick up one of these as well. I've been looking at them for a while, and they get great reviews everywhere.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm modifying my 10/22 in to a LTR and will be attending my first Appleseed shoot this summer. Since I'm putting in an order to Midway, I think I'll save on the shipping and pick up one of these as well. I've been looking at them for a while, and they get great reviews everywhere.

ive never heard a bad review. you wont be sorry

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The Midway bag is AWESOME! I have had mine a couple years and it is great for the range and probably the best deal for the money out there.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've got the smaller version and I can get ammo and 4 firearms in there with other gear (first aid, boresnakes, ears and eyes, etc.) so I can only imagine how much really goes in to the full size bag. You can probably pack it up with a ton of stuff but you'd need a cart to haul it around because of the weight. Nice review.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The Midway range bag is very nice. It is made very well, and has numerous pouches and compartments for more than adequate storage. The only downside... the bigger the bag, the more one has a tendancy to put more items in it... thus it can get a little heavy. If you have the opportunity to purchase one, by all means do it.

jphillips9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love mine also. I've had it about 3 months. Its held up very well. And no, it's not big enough, but i don't know of one that is. Range bags are like any kind of storage the bigger ya go the more stuff you buy to fill it.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Great bags. I have two of them. But the single radio throws me off in the OP. What if no one else has a radio? Do you talk to yourself?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    But the single radio throws me off in the OP. What if no one else has a radio? Do you talk to yourself?

There is a radio kept at the barn, at the house, and several friends/family have them. We all keep our own, and have a few stationed around the property. When someone at the house or barn hears someone shooting, they can radio down and check in....often followed by their arrival to participate in the activities. It's become habit that once you arrive on property to camp/shoot, you turn the radio on. Keeps things running smoothly, keeps check of who is where on the property, and I only have to be responsible for my own. (Although I will supply guests with one if they so choose.)

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    There is a radio kept at the barn, at the house, and several friends/family have them. We all keep our own, and have a few stationed around the property. When someone at the house or barn hears someone shooting, they can radio down and check in....often followed by their arrival to participate in the activities. It's become habit that once you arrive on property to camp/shoot, you turn the radio on. Keeps things running smoothly, keeps check of who is where on the property, and I only have to be responsible for my own. (Although I will supply guests with one if they so choose.)
    :yesway:

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Love that Midway Bag

+1 on the Midway Bag I love mine.
    Great review and pictures.
    Oh and they have them on sale certain times for 50 Bucks.

Top Bottom