• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your relation to an armed forces veteran?

• Total voters

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    one grandfather in the army, one in the marines
    great uncle in the army, two great uncles in the german military(im only third generation, and when germany put out the call to return and fight for deutschland, my family split. im not exactly sure of their branch of service. my grandpa said hes only talked to his brother once since the war. the other one was killed.)
    3 uncles in the marines, dad in the marines
    2 cousins in the marines, one in the coast guard(he counts, right? :laugh:)
    sister in the af, brother joining the navy.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    1. My Grandfather on my Mothers side, served during WWII in the Army Air Corp.

2. Both his brothers also served, If I remember correctly also in the Army Air Corp.

3. My Great Uncle on my Dads side, served during WWII in the Army National Guard. The flag that was draped over his casket, is sitting in a nice display case on my computer desk.

4. My Uncle on my Dads side, served during Vietnam in the Marines.

5. Another Uncle on my Dads side, served during Vietnam in the Navy.

6. My good friend Dan, served in the Marine Corp.

7. My good friend Jesse, just got home from Afghanistan. He is a Captain in the Marine Corp.

8. My good friend Nick, is Currently serving in the Air National Guard.

9. My good friend Amanda's husband. Is at Fort Brag right now. Doing his pre-deployment training. This will be his third tour in the suck.

I served during Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Enduring Freedom in the Coast Guard. Joined not to long after 9/11. Left for basic February of 2002. Received my Honorable discharge in 2005. Honestly it was the best times of my life. I miss it dearly. Do to a medical condition, I was unable to go back in. I'm thankful God gave me the opportunity to serve my country. It was such a honor, and something I'll never forget.

A sincere thanks to all those that gave their lives, for all those serving, and for all those who served. You helped make this country great. Your sacrifices, loyalty, dedication, and honor make me feel proud to be an American. The best country on this Earth. So to all by Brothers, and Sisters in arms. God bless you, and thank you from the bottom of my heart. :patriot::ingo:

Old Faithful flying over the Arizona!

IM_A0006.jpg

My Dad bought me this Beretta 92FS, while I was in the service. It's a Limited Edition, Coast Guard Operation Enduring Freedom: 1/1000 produced. It holds a special place in my heart. Also pictured is my made in the U.S.A., Operation Iraqi Freedom K-BAR: 1/900 produced.

005.jpg

"Semper Paratus"
    God bless,
    Chris

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great Grandfather: Army fought in WWI in the Rainbow Division
    Grandfather: Navy fought in WW2 in the Pacific
    Uncle (Grandmother's brother I think): Army served as a Medic in the European Theatre WW2
    Step Dad- Army fought in Vietnam with the 7th Cavalry
    Cousin in the Marines who is currently at the Pentagon in DC
    Nephew who just recently graduated from HS and has enlisted in the Marines.

I thank God everyday for all Vets who paid the ultimate sacrifice, who served and are retired/discharged, and who continue to serve and protect this great nation.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My dad was 50 years older than me, He was a Navy SeaBee in WWII

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My dad was a Sgt in WWII. Crawled across most of France and Germany. Was in Paris during time of change for the good. Fought in the Hurtgen Forrest, and crossed that bridge at Remagen. Took him and my mother to dinner tonight, and on Monday hope to continue our long tradition of cookouts.

I find it unfortunate our country no longer has the stomach for what happened turning back Hitler's Germany and Tojo's Japan. With today's government and news media, there is no way we could have defeated Germany and Japan.

God bless all who served, and serve today.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I am a veteran
    Son of a veteran
    Nephew of veterans (6 uncles)
    Brother of 2 veterans
    Cousin of 7 veterans
    Uncle of a veteran and I am sure these numbers will grow.
    Also have a brother, 2 brothers in law and 2 nephews in law enforcement which is the same thing. :patriot:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Grandfather WWII Army
    Uncle served in the Navy
    Father Retired Army 23 yrs Korean and Viet Nam
    2 of my brothers Army

God Bless them all who survived. To me all they are all HEROES.
    :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    My grandfather on my fathers side (Though the only thing I know about him is his name and that he was a vetran.)
    My Uncle USMC VN
    Uncle Navy VN
    Uncle USMC VN
    Niece Navy active duty
    A good friend Army active duty
    And more Uncles on my Husbands side.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Father served WWII europe theatre. All his brothers served as well in pacific theatre WWII. Uncle & Cousin served in Vietnam. Nephew just returned back from Afghanistan & was also in Iraq.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Warning: Kinda long post

I was just going to write down all the family/ancestors I could think of, but then when I asked my dad for more information, he called his dad, and you know how grandparents like to tell stories. So, what the heck, I decided to include what grandpa told me about tonight.

-----

My dad's maternal grandfather was in the Army in WWI. He was apparently well respected for his accuracy with artillery.

The younger brother of my dad's paternal grandfather fought in WWI. In July 1918, while fighting in France, an exploding frag shell put shrapnel in his back. French military personnel picked him up and treated him, but didn't report him back to the Americans for several months. So, he was listed as MIA from July to November. He then was part of the occupation force in Dartmouth, Germany.

A first cousin to my dad's paternal grandfather foresaw the US entering WWI, so he enlisted early to try to get in Coast Guard. He ended up in one of the first units sent to Europe. He was often a volunteer to deliver messages and frequently walked down no-mans-land where he could've been shot by the Germans, but they just let him go. When the order was given to go over the top out of the trench, he said he walked on dead bodies for a mile without touching the ground. It was his Tennessee unit that broke the Hindenburg Line after the Brits and French had both failed. He came back with almost every medal the French Army awarded. The people at Lynchburg met him at the train station when he returned, and they carried him on their shoulders 3 miles back to "the hollow."

My paternal grandfather's first cousin was in the 1st Marine Division, which was the first to enter combat on Guadalcanal, and he came back alive. He reported that when the Americans would advance during the daytime to drive Japs out of their holes, they had to eat the rice they left behind because supplies weren't getting through yet. On one of his missions, he walked under a tree and a Japanese captain dropped down on him; it was hand-to-hand mortal combat, and he won. He took a highly decorated pistol and carried it throughout the rest of the campaign, but when he got back to Hawai'i, a security officer said, "you're no longer in combat, so you can't have that weapon," and confiscated it.

The brother of the previous man was drafted for WWII. He spent some time in North Africa and Sicily. He landed at Normandy with the 3rd Army under Patton (not D-Day), moved through France, and was in one of the first few units to enter Germany. He was KIA on 18 Sept 1944 in Germany.

A first cousin to my paternal grandfather's mother was drafted at 42 years of age for WWII. He was posted to guard duty at the Arizona/Mexico border. One night, German spies came over the border, captured him, and took him prisoner back to Mexico. After some time in captivity, he seized a moment, overpowered his guards, escaped, and actually brought back those guards, 3-4 of them, as prisoners, to Arizona, where he turned them over to authorities. (Don't mess with them Tennessee men!) His feet were severely injured sometime during that, and he had difficulty walking after that event.

My paternal grandfather enlisted in the Army in WWII and occupied Japan; he was on the boat for the mainland invasion. He did time in the brig after an officer who was out joyriding came back drunk and accused him of abandoning his guard post. He managed to bring back an Arisaka rifle, which is now in my parents' house.

My uncle was in VietNam with the Air Force (though he was never officially there, he swears he was left there behind enemy lines for a couple weeks). He also worked in Arizona Minuteman missle silos on an award winning crew. After many years in the USAF, he finished up his 20 years with the Indiana Guard in a tank division.

My big brother was in the Indiana Guard for 6 years but was never deployed. His unit was deployed to Iraq after he got out, and a pair of brothers from our church went and came back safely. (They even got to see Saddam's palace.) I know that he almost feels like he never really served since he "never did anything", but I thank him just the same as I thank every other veteran.

Well, that's all from my Dad's side of the family. I don't know of anybody on my Mom's side who was in a conflict since the Civil War. Ancestors on both sides of my family fought in that war, and on both sides. You know how they say brothers fought against each other? Yep, that's in my blood. In fact, I'd say "military" is in my blood; my parents weren't too surprised when I said I wanted to join, too.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    My dad was in the Army and reserves for 20 something years. My step-dad was in Vietnam. He got hurt pretty bad but came out as much of a fighter as could be, even for somebody without the health problems he has. Much respect to them and all the other service members, past and present. :patriot:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    My Dad is a WW II Philippine Campaign Combat Veteran. (85 yrs old and still mean as Hell!)
    One Uncle died in an accident, while in The Army, in Germany, 1958.
    Another Uncle, a career soldier, served in The Korean War, and did two tours in Vietnam.
    Mike

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am a veteran.
    US Army Combat Engineers
    US Air Force Security Police

Loved every minute of it, incredibly proud of what we accomplished. Still miss it.

Nephew of veterans of the Army and Navy. Cousins to Army vets currently in Afghanistan.

Grandfather and his brother both Air Force vets, and another brother a Marine vet.

Wife's father is an Air Force vet of the Vietnam War, her Grandfather a Navy vet of WW2.

Top Bottom