• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What if your only options are Meijer, Walmart or Kroger. What are you supposed to do? They all have anti gun stances. It's getting to the point you will have nowhere to shop that doesn't go against something you/me/we believe in.

I say OC and give their signs the middle finger. Chances are extremely high they're not going to do a damn thing about it. And on the slight chance they ask you to leave, leave, and never go back. I open carry at Costco, Wal-Mart, and Meijer on 90% of occasions I go there and have never been asked to leave or even really been given a second look.
    Walmart and Kroger iirc asks no open carry, not no carry. Which started when people were carrying long guns in in support of open carry. Same reason Starbucks went that route.

My local Kroger at least is if not pro gun, definitely not anti. A few years back I went in late night to pick up some beer and a couple of other things. I noticed a couple of the stockers peeking around the ends of the aisles. When I got up to the cashier she said they noticed I was carrying and if I would talk to them and answer some questions. I was in no hurry so I said sure. Ended up with every employee in the store except the manager standing up by the registers with me talking for at least 15 minutes. The manager finally came down and asked if there was a problem, we all said no and she then said well get back to work. She didn't care that I had a gun, she just wasn't happy that every one of her employees was not working.

Another time I was shopping during the day and noticed another customer who appeared to be following me through the store, when I went to check out the manager was up front. He goes running up to her and starts talking and pointing at me. She looks over at me, then back at him and shrugs like "so what"?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are these signs just a suggestion? Or can they press charges if they find out?
    I also shop here and conceal carry everytime.

I am not a lawyer.
    From what I understand you have to be "trespassed".
    For instance, if they ask you to leave because of your gun, and you sit there and argue with them, then you are trespassing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We shop there regularly as they have things other than food as well. I used to open carry in there but the Karen’s were loosing their minds. Well that’s a push but hey. I CC now and no one is the wiser.

It’s the lawyers people. It’s the lawyers. These places are covering their butts simple as that.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I am not a lawyer.
    From what I understand you have to be "trespassed".
    For instance, if they ask you to leave because of your gun, and you sit there and argue with them, then you are trespassing.
    I wouldn't argue. It also wouldn't stop me from coming back in though. What if they peg you as "the gun guy". Everytime you come through they try to violate you and follow you around.

Response from Meijer
    Creating an environment where they feel unsafe? I only conceal and I don't really see people at my local Meijer open carrying. Maybe this is just a Meijer dilemma.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wouldn't argue. It also wouldn't stop me from coming back in though. What if they peg you as "the gun guy". Everytime you come through they try to violate you and follow you around.

Creating an environment where they feel unsafe? I only conceal and I don't really see people at my local Meijer open carrying. Maybe this is just a Meijer dilemma.

If they ask you to leave and store your gun, and then you can come back, then you can leave and come back.

If they tell you to leave and not come back... if you come back they can then call the police.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    If they ask you to leave and store your gun, and then you can come back, then you can leave and come back.

If they tell you to leave and not come back... if you come back they can then call the police.
    Well, their response shows that they aren't against firearms and their users. They are just trying to prevent the emotions that open carrying provokes in their employees and customers.

I can understand their thought process considering every town and meijer has a different demographic of customers who may or may not have experience with firearms.

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis
    And if people start saying they are scared of Jewish people?
    Do we then cater to the fear?
    I said I understand. I didn't say I agree. A lot of people are not comfortable around firearms. I have friends and family who I refrain from mentioning the 9mm in my waistband. I have some I break it out immediately to show off. As a courteous person I can see both sides and can respect their choice.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I said I understand. I didn't say I agree. A lot of people are not comfortable around firearms. I have friends and family who I refrain from mentioning the 9mm in my waistband. I have some I break it out immediately to show off. As a courteous person I can see both sides and can respect their choice.
    Wait what? Are you saying you draw your loaded pistol to show it off? Please tell me you are not serious.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've have not seen these signs.
    Where are they?
    Are they next to some sign about a mask or something?
    If so, maybe that's why I have not seen them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We shop there regularly as they have things other than food as well. I used to open carry in there but the Karen’s were loosing their minds. Well that’s a push but hey. I CC now and no one is the wiser.

It’s the lawyers people. It’s the lawyers. These places are covering their butts simple as that.

You said it right there. It's the Karens. Not even necessarily the ones that would say anything. It's those that run to social media to start a social campaign.

This is not about a store taking a stance on self defense or guns. It's about how they don't kill off half of their business by the facebook/twitter/reddit loud mouths.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I ignore no weapons signs and carry concealed anyway.
    And I avoid going places that search for firearms, as I'm not into being a human target in a shooting gallery.

Indeed.

Gun free zones have been demonstrated time and again to be dangerous; sometimes even deadly.

I do my best to never be in an area free of firearms.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    it is a narrow plank for any business to walk.

How to stay balanced with your pro 2a customers, while not making the anti gun customers and their lawyers go crazy while at the same time, keeping the legal people at the insurance company from robbing you blind. What a balancing act.

Then you need to add in problems with the blm, antifa, and all the government regulation that supports those who add cost with no potential for profit. We have seen that places in California has outlawed stopping people from stealing from stores in broad daylight. Everyplace you hear laments about lack of "services", "under served communities", "food deserts" and other complaints are places were similar government practices against retailers were in effect, even if they were not a legitimate law.

I simply untuck my shirt. With so many people having bulky holsters for over sized cell phones, almost no one notices anything that bulges out of a shirt tail.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Response from Meijer
    I wonder how they would respond if you respond that you feel unsafe if you are not allowed to open carry. I also wonder how they would respond if someone offered a free class for all their employees on gun safety, laws, and rights

Top Bottom