• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    really no more than the skills you have to go with it; I'm EMT-B trained (but not current), so I would not carry items I don't know how to use....

however, do have a few items put back for true SHTF situation; suture kit for one

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My "medic" pack is pretty comprehensive, but geared towards multiple trauma. It has 3 identical sets of blowout pkg. (Izzy, TK4, Primed, ACS). Then it has a CAT on top, and kerlix and ACE in the bottom. Other pockets contain tools (instruments, lights, staples, sutures, gloves etc), one pocket has meds and boo boo stuff and dental stuff, large pocket in back has soft litter and adjustable C collar. I can add an IV & start kit module as needed.

We use this bag on every team training evolution.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    how in depth should your medic pack be?

I essentially have a small infirmary here at the house, plus a couple of portable FAKs for my vehicle & packs.

IMHO having essential medical supplies on hand are just as important (if not more important) than having a small armory.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    you need pain killer, one broad scope antibiotic if you can get your hands on, bandages, antiseptic solution, ice pack, icy hot, neosporin, antidiarrhea pills.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What are your thoughts on quickclot?
    It does have its place in the Emergency Med Field. I prefer the QuickClot Gauze myself. Just stuff it in the wound and put a dressing over it. ;)

However, unless you are Hours out from Med Care I doubt is I would use it. Dressings and Tourniquets will do just as good almost anywhere in the US.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Cayenne has some minor positive affects on minor wounds. The rest is holistic horse shat. Direct pressure, elevation, TQ, and trauma dressings.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Its a vasodiolater and opens blood vessels. You could stuff a wound with flour and it may help stop bleeding but you will have to try clean it out. Companies are going to sponge and gauze applications because of this.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Its a vasodiolater and opens blood vessels. You could stuff a wound with flour and it may help stop bleeding but you will have to try clean it out. Companies are going to sponge and gauze applications because of this.
    Exactly there is so much bad info floating around on what "works" "naturally" it is almost to much to wade through sometimes... :dunno:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    After watching a video on quickclot it really scares the hell out of me. I thought about buying some before I took Redneckmedic's class and now I have passed. He showed a lot of good ways to apply pressure and it should do just about anything I will ever need. Also, I figure in a real crisis that if I need quickclot then I probably will not be making it anyway. I'm sure it has its uses and the newer gauze does look promising but for me I am sticking with what I learned from the class and further practice. The H bandage is a very nice addition to someones pack and even better then an izzy bandage but I am just a novice compared to most. FWIW

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    This part of a STHF plan is soo extremely personally specific. What I need or could/can use isn't close to what anyone else would need. Muscle relaxers, pain meds, insulin, hair growth tonic, etc.

My main thoughts are that it is good to think about these details and make the appropriate prior preparations.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Powdered cayenne pepper is cheaper.

I took a Tactical treatment of gunshot wounds class, and the Doctor/teacher could not speak more against these type items quick clot, etc.. idk myself, i have always did well with pressure, and battle dressing kits. But with that said an ambulance was typically on its way too. I know in a shtf setting that might not be so much the case. This is an interesting thing to consider.

Top Bottom