• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. I got married there but the guy is abusive. Before I moved in with him my sig p290 was stolen. Later I found out he couldn't have guns in his house because someone had a restraining order against him. I had a 38 special and it was stolen on May 26th. I'm worried he's stalking me, there's a no contact order in place from his domestic battery charge but that only helps so much. I've reported them stolen, but I really want to get another gun to feel safe. I've only shot 1 bullet, I need to practice shooting and see what I feel comfortable with. If any of you lovely people here have suggestions on where to start I appreciate it

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A basic pistol class would be my suggestion and Parabellum is in your area and has a couple every week. Training beyond that is a must if you are considering carrying or defending yourself. Protective order is only helpful if you are dealing with someone that obeys laws. Sorry to hear you are in such a situation.
    This. Parabellum also has a rental wall so you can see what fits your hand well and you shoot well. And there you aren't renting ONE gun. If you put some rounds through the gun and you dont like it, you can unload it and take it back to the desk to swap it with another to try. The only requirement is you buy the ammo from them.

And dont be afraid to ask for help. The folks there are top notch and VERY helpful.

Good luck!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Welcome to INGO, I wish it was under better circumstances. Training and practice at Parabellum (go north on Dan Jones, next two rights after crossing the railroad bridge and you'll see it on Kingston) has been mentioned by fellow INGOers.

(What follows is based on you being a resident of Indiana.)

Q1: Have you carried a handgun before? If not and it's something you are considering, do you have a trusted friend who does carry? This could help bridge the gap with training and your current situation.

Q2: Do you have a License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH)? If not, initiate the licensing process (except for fingerprinting fee the LTCH is now free.) Don't plan to carry? Get an LTCH anyway.

In 2017 Indiana Code was changed to allow Hoosiers who have a (words may be wrong here) domestic order of protection against someone, you can carry without a license. Must not be a prohibited possessor, have initiated the LTCH process, meet the requirements for LTCH, etc.

Again, welcome to INGO and I wish the circumstances were different.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I assume you're not cohabitating anymore, based on the court order, so that's a good first step. Seek out a class at Parabellum, as others have said. I believe they have ladies' classes, and there is a Shoot Point Blank near you as well, although I'd consider them a second choice.

You do need to address the repetitive stolen handgun situation by learning about better storage options, which should be covered in a home defense class. I'm not one to push anyone farther than they're comfortable going, given that you've only fired 1 bullet, but given that you are in an endangered situation based on the individual's multiple past history, you are a case where I'd definitely recommend following up the home defense class with a carry class. They can help bring you to a comfort level of having the gun always on you (on-body, non-purse carry - hopefully the instructors will explain why "in a purse" is not quite good enough). This not only addresses the protection aspect, but also hopefully the (assumed) problem with having the gun stolen from your vehicle or residence while un-attended. You and the gun really need to be together, meaning pretty much always. You being with the gun keeps "it" from being stolen...it being with you hopefully keeps "you" from getting stolen.

Wow, epic first post. Welcome to INGO. Hoping things start going in a better direction...(maybe Vegas will give you a refund ;)).

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Welcome to INGO! :welcome:

There is a lot of useful information on INGO concerning protecting yourself and the safe handling of firearms. When you have time, search the forums for the information you seek. All of us are willing to help with advice. If you have any questions, just ask!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. I got married there but the guy is abusive. Before I moved in with him my sig p290 was stolen. Later I found out he couldn't have guns in his house because someone had a restraining order against him. I had a 38 special and it was stolen on May 26th. I'm worried he's stalking me, there's a no contact order in place from his domestic battery charge but that only helps so much. I've reported them stolen, but I really want to get another gun to feel safe. I've only shot 1 bullet, I need to practice shooting and see what I feel comfortable with. If any of you lovely people here have suggestions on where to start I appreciate it

Above all, stay safe. Revere's Risers often does a ladies only pistol. They have a pistol class upcoming in Zionsville, IN next weekend. I know it's soon, but I can't recommend them enough. here are a few more links to information you can follow up on. Good luck!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Above all, stay safe. Revere's Risers often does a ladies only pistol. They have a pistol class upcoming in Zionsville, IN next weekend. I know it's soon, but I can't recommend them enough. here are a few more links to information you can follow up on. Good luck!

I'll second Revere's Riders. If you choose to go that route, ask staff if they have any loaner equipment and explain why you are taking the class. I am POSITIVE under the circumstances they'll find a pistol for you. You'll just need to provide ammo. I know they offer loaners for their basic rifle class.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'll second Revere's Riders. If you choose to go that route, ask staff if they have any loaner equipment and explain why you are taking the class. I am POSITIVE under the circumstances they'll find a pistol for you. You'll just need to provide ammo. I know they offer loaners for their basic rifle class.

@Damsel380 - They almost always have loaners available. Just contact staff prior to class. I'd be happy to help supply some ammo to offset any costs.

Any questions just PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Welcome to this forum and I wish you all the best. Understand that you are responsible for your safety in this situation and always. It's good that you're asking for advice and the above suggestions are excellent so far.

To add to it, I'd recommend you read "Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. This book can help you prepare for this situation and others like it. Gavin does provide some insight on restraining orders...they can be good...and bad.

Stay aware, prepare, be strong, and good on you for pursuing the knowledge.

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN

Welcome to INGO, I wish it was under better circumstances. Training and practice at Parabellum (go north on Dan Jones, next two rights after crossing the railroad bridge and you'll see it on Kingston) has been mentioned by fellow INGOers.

Q1: Have you carried a handgun before? If not and it's something you are considering, do you have a trusted friend who does carry? This could help bridge the gap with training and your current situation.

Q2: Do you have a License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH)? If not, initiate the licensing process (except for fingerprinting fee the LTCH is now free.) Don't plan to carry? Get an LTCH anyway.

In 2017 Indiana Code was changed to allow Hoosiers who have a (words may be wrong here) domestic order of protection against someone, you can carry without a license. Must not be a prohibited possessor, have initiated the LTCH process, meet the requirements for LTCH, etc.

It's okay, I got my lifetime license

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    I haven't carried before. I got my lifetime LTCH a couple months ago.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I got my LTCH a couple months ago but I've never carried before. I've gone through YouTube watching different safety and training videos but that's as far as I've got. I'm going to take the advice on going to Parabellum in the near future. Thanks everyone for the tips here, much appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom