Maybe now is the time to get rid of the Indy Parks gun ban!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Monon Trail attacks

Updated: June 12, 2008 06:09 AM

Steve Jefferson/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - Metro police are looking into two recent attacks on the Monon Trail in the past week. In both cases thieves went after men riding their bikes on the trail.

The attacks happened in broad daylight and the attackers distracted the victims before moving in.

One attempted robbery victim, who didn't want his identity revealed, says he wants people to know about three men who attacked him when he rode his bicycle to work on the Monon Trail. He said, "They took a trash can and threw it in front of my bike to get me off it and grabbed my backpack."

The attack happened last Thursday. He's concerned other Monon bikers may fall prey to the same crime, especially between 10th and the Fall Creek Road area.

IMPD Lieutenant Jeff Duhamell says, "They are going to target people who are by themselves more than likely." That's exactly the case in the other attack last Tuesday.

Lt. Duhamell says most of the attacks have been just south of 38th Street near Fall Creek.

In October 2006, biker Darrell Arthur was attacked on the Monon Trail. A passerby found the 54-year-old along the trail beaten unconscious. Police eventually arrested three teenagers in that case.

Police warn people about using the Monon alone. Lt. Duhamell says, "At least go in pairs, you are always better in numbers." The latest attack victim gives the same advice. He says, "If everyone had someone to ride in with it would be a lot safer."

So police hope Monon users will take their safety in numbers warning seriously.

There are emergency phones along the Monon so if you come out here familiarize yourself on the locations.

If you have any information about the men involved attacks here on the Monon call crime stoppers at 262-TIPS.

Time to write my useless counsellor...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I find down right shameful when the Police tell you to avoid an area or to travel in groups due to crime. So by avoiding the area or traveling with companions does that mean that the crime will stop or will it just navigate to another area?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I find down right shameful when the Police tell you to avoid an area or to travel in groups due to crime. So by avoiding the area or traveling with companions does that mean that the crime will stop or will it just navigate to another area?

It means that the police have given up on that area and the thieves and gangs are now in control of that area. It means that if you go there then the police will be unable to help you but will be happy to write up a report after the fact.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    It will require some interaction with department heads and other personnel to even get some recognition. Council members are not going to bring this up or author something to jeopardize a grandfathered city law.
    Another way may be to get the state preemption reworked without a grandfather clause.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You know, you could consider talking to the Mayor about it.
    Wasn't it Gov. Daniels that took care of this at the state level? What was his motivation for signing that into law? Bring My Man Mitch's stance to the Mayor, and present a reasonable argument. Mayor Ballard seems like a straight shooter, common sense kind of guy.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    You know, you could consider talking to the Mayor about it.
    Wasn't it Gov. Daniels that took care of this at the state level? What was his motivation for signing that into law? Bring My Man Mitch's stance to the Mayor, and present a reasonable argument. Mayor Ballard seems like a straight shooter, common sense kind of guy.
    It's amazing how many people were opposed to the State Parks/DNR amendment. Do they really think that not allowing legal gun owners to carry on the property is going to have any effect as to whether or not 'bad guys' are going to carry on the property?

"State Parks should be a safe place, there is no need to allow guns on the property." How ignorant can people be? :rolleyesedit:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    It will require some interaction with department heads and other personnel to even get some recognition. Council members are not going to bring this up or author something to jeopardize a grandfathered city law.
    Another way may be to get the state preemption reworked without a grandfather clause.

It is not a grandfathered law. The IC specifically allows cities to restrict on their property. The Indianapolis Code of Ordinance specifically bans carrying of firearms on property administered by the Indianapolis Parks Department. We need to have the CCC change the ordinance.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I just received the following e-mails regarding gang activity in a local Indy park.

"On Thursday afternoon, June 5, a group of 3 girls and 2 boys rode their bikes
    north on Whittier as they left Ellenberger Park. The 14-year-old boys turned
    east at the next block only to be called back by the girls who had been
    surrounded by at least a dozen older boys on bikes. The two boys returned to
    help the girls. After being punched in the head multiple times, the group
    forcibly took a bike from one of the boys. While most of the group left with
    the stolen bike, two members stayed back to prevent the victims from calling for
    help until the group was gone. A police report has been filed.
    Two weeks prior a 14-year-old boy was intimidated by a group of 4 older boys
    (not the same ones) while he was walking with a group of girls near the NW
    corner of Ellenberger . An officer patrolling nearby pulled up to the group
    causing the older boys to take off.
    Inquiry is being made into the level of security at the park. It appears we
    need to press for more."

"I hate to add to this list but on June 4th another incident happened. An OLL
    kid was on his bike and was riding slow, talking to another boy and some girls.
    They had left Ellenberger and were going down a side street, to where he lives,
    when a group of 15-20 African American kids surrounded them. They told him to
    give them his bike and hit the kid on the side of his head and took his bike.
    They then just took off. When the group had approached them they all were on
    bikes but one. They were around 15-17 years of age. Several of them had dread
    locks, except the one who took the bike was bald.
    911 was called, after the fact, without much results.
    We really need to do something."

I think, these are the same thugs that I saw harassing the cross country team of a local high school at this same park.

Top Bottom