• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hinch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a Mauser that the slide locks open and won't load another round from the magazine. It is not the original magazine so not sure if the problem lies there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a picture of the pistol posted also but couldn't get that uploaded for some reason.

IMG_20140303_153431780.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Has it ever cycled with that magazine? Or do you have another magazine that it will cycle with? Without having a known "good" magazine to compare that one too, I can't tell if it's an obvious mag problem or not. Have you ever taken the magazine apart? Is it possible that the follower is in wrong? Does the pistol have a slide lock lever? Maybe that mechanism is faulty? Just hard to know without seeing the pistol in person to be able to tell exactly what it's doing.

hinch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    I got the pistol and didn't have a magazine with it. Found this mag online but it isn't a Mauser. I did strip the magazine apart but appears to be assembled correctly. The back of the magazine has a special notch that I think has something to do with but not totally sure. Good idea about the
    slide lock lever, I will try to look at that.

IMG_20140303_195805.jpg

Thanks for your help and ideas.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My guess is that it may be the magazine. I'm not sure if this is the correct one for your pistol, but look at the rear notch on this one... considerably different from the one on yours... Note the rounded edges, whereas the edges on yours are sharp. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) rounding the corners on yours would help? I'm not a gunsmith, and I'd hate to have you ruin your magazine by taking my advice, but it's just something to think about.

$_57.JPG

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I would do some good old systems testing..

1) Find Some one with a like gun and Test their working Magazine in your Gun...
    2) See if your New magazine Works in a known working Model of that gun...

After that you will know where the problem is, After market magazines can be troublesome

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    DA the pistol and check the firing pin spring and rod(striker), make sure nothing is getting kinked in there. They will function without a firing pin guide rod, but not very well. An easy way to see if yours is missing, is to see if there is a small protrusion coming out of the hole in the back when the firing pin is locked back. If there isn't a little bump back there, the rod is gone.

These pistols don't have a slide release lever. Inserting a magazine, full or empty, drops the slide. The bit you see where a lever normally would sit is the safety release. Push down to disengage the safety, and push the button below it to engage.

To dissaseble, lock the slide back and remove the magazine. Press the button under the barrel, and rotate the recoil spring rod 90* and pull straight out. The barrel will now lift out. Hold onto the slide, and reinsert the magazine to move the slide forward. You may have to pull the trigger to get it to come off. Mine was about 50/50 on that one. Firing pin, guide rod, and firing pin spring should come out the rear of the slide. Recoil spring sits in its own little pocket and comes out with the slide as well.

Once thats done, you can slide the nameplate straight up to remove it, and all the workings are accessible. Take good pictures before removing anything, and don't pull the trigger out unless you have some spare time on your hands to get it back in. That spring is a pain.

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    With the slide off of the frame set the mag against the slide to see if the lips of the mag hang up on the slide /.On some of the after market mags The lips are too tight and will lock the slide
    Ask me how i know

Top Bottom