• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Do not waste money on a Mitchell's mauser. They are terribly overpriced for what you get. Mitchell's is known to grind off serial numbers on some parts and re-stamp them to get a "matching gun. As I said abbove, the Yugo M48 or 24/47 are good deals. Doesn't Dunham's have them anymore? There are no Dunhams in my area.

All they had were the Mitchell's when I went there last.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh wow I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. I feel like a dummy now lmao. At least I learned something new

No need to feel like a dummy. We're all here to learn and none of us were born knowing. It's actually a pretty common mistake. "Mosin" is a better shorthand, though.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Might also want to a consider a Swede. Very accurate, very well made rifles. Also, they are easy on the shoulder, a person can shoot a bunch without any pain.

I wouldn't touch a Mitchell's with a 10 foot pole. Take their advertising with a 50 lb bag of salt. Most of what they sell are Soviet captured rifles that have been refinished and restamped to match then sold as new.

They said they were brand new. I got on Mitchell's website and they said they stamped the German WWII markings on them

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To xxlmac3xx (et alia),

Note for the record that what I am about to say is my personal opinion and not based upon any studies, just several years of reading and collecting.

Regarding Mitchells Mausers, these will be fine shooting rifles that are overpriced and will not hold their value due to the bubbaing of these rifles.

Basically, the olde military rifles hold and increase value based upon collectivity. Collectivity is based upon the desire of collectors. This may be obvious but sometimes needs to be said. Collectors want things in as close to original configuration as possible! This isn't just for firearms. Watch "The Antique Road Show" sometime on PBS. You usually do not have to wait more than an episode or two to find an appraiser telling someone that their chair/table/Tiffany Lamp/Etc would be worth three or four times as much IF ONLY someone hadn't decided to "improve" it by changing it. Mitchell's has devalued the rifles by "cleaning" them up. Also, they were misleading in past advertisements about the authenticity of the rifles they were selling. Specifically, leading consumers into believing they were receiving an original German K98 rifle used during WWII when it wasn't so.

If you are just starting out and want a fun rifles to shoot that is a Mauser, then simply avoid South American models! This is NOT because they are bad by any means, but most South American countries changed the rifle caliber to something other than the standard 8mm (technically 7.92 x 57mm.) I would also avoid the Swedish Mausers for the same reason. The Swede's made EXCELLENT rifles but again changed their caliber to 6.5x55mm. This can be more expensive and less available than the standard 8mm.

If you buy an 8mm Mauser and use surplus ammunition make certain to get some good bore cleaner and clean it after EVERY shoot! The olde surplus ammo was corrosive. By this I mean that it contained salts to draw out moisture and keep the powder and/or primer good no matter where it was used. The downside to this is that the salt will eat away at the bore so proper cleaning is essential. IF YOU WANT TO START A BIG FIGHT just start another post asking "what is best to clean the salts" out! Opinions and arguments will abound! :) (On a personal note these threads can be funny. Guys get really wound up about it sometimes...)

The same will be true for using surplus ammo in ANY military rifle, Mosin Nagants included.

For the Mosins I would suggest simply starting with an M91/30. Very inexpensive and readily available. You should NOT pay more than $150 for one, and that had better be in pretty pristine shape or a Finnish model. The Finnish models are generally of higher quality and greater accuracy than the standard Mosins and thus fetch a higher price.

Do check headspacing on whichever Mosin you buy. You can do that with the tool normally provided. I have yet to have a problem on any of mine but it can happen.

The most important thing I have noticed is always inspect the bore! I shall repeat - ALWAYS INSPECT THE BORE! If you go to a gun show buy one of those cheap little bore lights and make certain the bore is clean, preferably shiny! Even though my Mosins are over 60 years old I have several that are mirror bright.

After the bore check the bolt head. Look for significant dings or scratches, especially on the ejector. Some minor problems may be solved by filing them down yourself while others are more significant and less easy to solve. You do not want a headache you can avoid.

When all of that is done just look over every part of the rifle and use basic common sense. These are old rifles and will have their share of dings, scrapes, and other imperfections. Those are what I call "Character.":yesway: With that in mind you don't want one that was beaten to hell.

When shooting be ready for a moderate kick. These things were made in the good ol' days when military thinking was different. I have several Mausers and my favorite is my Persian. However, the buttstock is too short for my build and I can only put a few rounds through it before my cheek is sore. Same ammo as on other "standard" Mausers but that one does not like my face.

Avoid Czech ammo for Mosins. It has had greater issues for me with sticky bolt. For some folks it is fine but my observation is a greater headache factor.

I will echo other comments that the Yugoslavian Mausers are an excellent choice. In all the Mausers I have seen none EVER has a problem with the bolt cycling. If you pick one up and can cycle it it should be very smooth and easy. If not I would severely inspect it and probably not purchase.

I would advise against trying to get too deep into value and collecting to start off. Buy an inexpensive Mosin or Mauser or both and have fun shooting. In the beginning you should probably avoid surplus ammo and get some cheap modern stuff, then get into surplus ammo when you have done basic research on cleaning. Do some internet research. As you gain more knowledge you will be able to determine what is right for you and your collecting needs. Be warned though: Mosins have been known to breed worse than rabbits. First, someone buys one. Then, before you know it they need another model, or year. Eventually their closet is full, their gunsafe runneth over and the need for a mancave is hounding them. You have been warned.;)

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    i collect mausers and mosins myself. I prefer the mauser to the mosin as it is a smother operating bolt system, but as to previous threads stating that 8mm surplus is still abundant, that i do not see. A good turkish is a great starter in 8mm, but be careful as some have poor head spacing issues, and may be just plain shot out. Or you almost cant go wrong with 24/47 in 8mm. but if your concerns are on ammo cost the mosin is the way to go. ammo is still available and a lot cheaper than 8mm. plus another bonus ir a beautful fireball when shot about dusk. I prefer the 91/30 as the recoil isnt as bad as the 38"s, 44"s and the chinese 53"s. Or just pick up one of each and have a ball!! just my preferences and opinions!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To xxlmac3xx (et alia),

Note for the record that what I am about to say is my personal opinion and not based upon any studies, just several years of reading and collecting.
    ~clip~

If you are just starting out and want a fun rifles to shoot that is a Mauser, then simply avoid South American models! This is NOT because they are bad by any means, but most South American countries changed the rifle caliber to something other than the standard 8mm (technically 7.92 x 57mm.) I would also avoid the Swedish Mausers for the same reason. The Swede's made EXCELLENT rifles but again changed their caliber to 6.5x55mm. This can be more expensive and less available than the standard 8mm.
    ~clip~
    Doug

I must respectfully disagree with this Doug (and I may be fulla :poop: - :):). While it is true that many South American rifles were re-barreled, I have found that most times they were re-barreled from 7mm Mauser or 7.65x53 Argentine to 7.62 NATO or even 30-06. 7.62 NATO and 30-06 surplus ammo can be found for around 50 cents/round, which is not much more (if at all these days) than surplus 8mm, and it's generally non-corrosive. As for the Swedes, I don't believe they were re-barreled from 8mm to 6.5x55 (and maybe that's not what you were implying). I know I have a Mauser Oberndorf An Neckar rifle that was made in Germany in 1900. They only made them at that factory for two years - 1899-1900- until the equipment could be shipped to Sweden (Carl Gustaf factory). I believe they were made in that caliber from the get go. Again, while it's true that 6.5x55 isn't as cheap as surplus 8mm, it's all non-corrosive, and the Swedes tend to be in excellent condition, partly as a result of not shooting corrosive ammo, and partly because Sweden was a neutral country and the rifles didn't see battle the way most of the 8mm variants did.

One of the things I do like about South American rifles are the crests. I think they have some of the most beautiful crests of any rifle - real works of art. Of course that has nothing to do with their shootability and moreso with collectability, but they sure are purty! :)

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    OP type mosin, mosin nagant, nagant, 91/30, m44, m38, nagant sniper, nagant capture, any of these into the search box then report back on your findings.

Tis more fun than waitin for responses.

Welcome maggot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OP type mosin, mosin nagant, nagant, 91/30, m44, m38, nagant sniper, nagant capture, any of these into the search box then report back on your findings.

Welcome maggot.

But it would deprive us Mosin and Mauser guys of the chance to go on and on about what we love! We're kind of like those people with bumper stickers that say, "Ask me about my grandkids" or "Ask me about Jesus"... :):

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur

Welcome maggot.

Funny guy huh lol. I do my own research...But to have the opinions of people who have them and know about them are usually better then actual research. Plus I get to hear everyone's preference on what they like too

Last edited:

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    But it would deprive us Mosin and Mauser guys of the chance to go on and on about what we love! We're kind of like those people with bumper stickers that say, "Ask me about my grandkids" or "Ask me about Jesus"... :):

And on that aspect too lol. Every person I've ever talked to about guns absolutely love talking about them

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    where are you guys finding 8mm surplus? and jand g sales have some chezch mausers for sale

At shows, in the classifieds from time to time, Armslist, etc... Widener's has been having Romanian (steel case) surplus lately, but it's close to 60 cents/round. It's nice ammo though. 150 grain bullet as opposed to the 196 grain in the Yugo, Turk, etc.. I found it for 50 cents/round a few 1500s ago... The only surplus I would probably avoid is the Egyptian or Iranian... both seem to be prone to duds and hangfires.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I like both rifles. But if I was actively going to buy one of the two now Id have to go with a Mauser. I love the Mauser action, very smooth and as states you can still get a few of the models for very reasonable money.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Oh wow I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. I feel like a dummy now lmao. At least I learned something new

Don't feel bad about it, we all learn.
    For the record even the name Mosin-Nagant is incorrect for the rifle in Russia, They just call them Mosin's, there Nationalistic Pride in the rifle runs deep.

Top Bottom