• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Im posting this in here because of the recent state of Emergency that has been issued in IN. There is another discussion about this with regard to a ticket i got but under this thread i wanted peoples opinions on the present situtation. North West IN has declared a state of emergency because of the snow and temp. No one is allowed to drive according to the local government unless you are a emergency personal. Is this justifiable and ok with you. Since when are they allowed to tell you that you can not go to work and not allowed to leave your home. The roads where not that bad that i drove on the temp was cold. Would you call this a state of emergency?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    North West IN has declared a state of emergency because of the snow and temp. No one is allowed to drive according to the local government unless you are a emergency personal. Is this justifiable and ok with you.
    It is justifiable, ok, not so much. As a whole, speaking of us/we the people, we are dumb as ****. It is justifiable because inevitably someone or many someones will go out, get stuck, and have to call ems for help. I know this is what they signed up for and I realize that as a civil servant there should be no problems, but there will be. What happens when the person/people go out, get stuck, and freeze to death? Then, their heirs/next of kin hire some **** bag attorney to sue some small or large municipality, and probably win. That is why the rules are in place. I say stay in, drink hot drinks, and chase the ol' lady around the house.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have always been told that driving on the public road is a privilege …so technically they can suspend driving on the road. Feel free to drive on your own property or walk on the road.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I don't think it is justifiable at all. I understand that people will be stupid or have accidents but what about other circumstances?

I have rentals. One of my tenants called to say they don't have water. Well, I can't thaw it out in this weather. Then they go on to say that they weren't ready for the cold. They are stuck in the house with no water. Again, this isn't my problem.

Well, they happen to have no vehicle. Grown woman and her mother. Daughter has been sick and bedridden for four days. Mother barely gets around anyhow.

I grabbed some water and took off for their place. Typically I don't do things like this for tenants as it makes them needy. As I was headed over there I thought about what I would do if I got pulled over.

Well, I didn't see the need for the tenants to call the police for water and such. I did what I thought was justified and took my chances. I made sure to talk with the tenants about being a little more prepared. They didn't even think about getting snow and melting it for flushing.

Had I slid off the road it would have all been on me. Roads weren't bad, so it would be the same as any other time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would argue for a declaration of 'you're on your own' rather than a stay put order. This would require modifying the law such that if you decide to take your own chances under such conditions, no action against emergency personnel or their sponsoring unit of government is allowed during that time.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have always been told that driving on the public road is a privilege …so technically they can suspend driving on the road. Feel free to drive on your own property or walk on the road.

Yeah yeah and people keep telling more people that driving is a privilege. We all help pay for these roads every time we buy gasoline

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I see closing individual roads down or areas if they truly are impassable but i am not keen on a nanny state. I understand why but I think they went a little overboard in some areas on this. I have never seen this many areas be listed as red. It had more to do with the cold I believe.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I honestly don't understand how people sitting at home feel qualified to second-guess the decisions of the professionals who are responsible for the public safety. I guess that's a fundamental difference in perspective between those who trust authority and those who don't.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I honestly don't understand how people sitting at home feel qualified to second-guess the decisions of the professionals who are responsible for the public safety. I guess that's a fundamental difference in perspective between those who trust authority and those who don't.

Have you ever met some of these so called professionals?

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Keep in mind what they were trying to accomplish in Indy. Snow Plows worked all night long, and this morning all roads were clear. If idiots were stuck in the middle of the road, they never would have gotten this done. That being said, if a SHTF moment hit, I'm outta here!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Have you ever met some of these so called professionals?

Are there individuals who should not be trusted? Of course. But I trust that if the city/county/state "powers that be" declare a state of emergency and say that travel is unsafe, they are much more qualified to make that judgement than I am.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My free advice. Join organizations or jobs that will allow you to be "essential personnel" in this or a more severe emergency in which you may need to take advantage of your status to get you and your family to safety and out from under the potentially incompetent government thumb.
    i had the opportunity to go volunteer for the city but it wasn't safe for me to get out and leave my family so I didn't.

My family comes first no matter what. If anything was standing in the way of my families right to live and be safe id handle it accordingly based I the situation and the severity. For example, if I had an emergency and had to travel on a closed road then I'd choose to take the potential ticket and carry on. Big whoop.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Regardless of someone's trust or lack thereof, it comes down to a question of whether or not it is one person's prerogative to deny freedom of movement to another. While I largely agree with the truism 'just because you can that doesn't mean you should', I absolutely disagree with someone else saying, 'because (in my reckoning) you shouldn't, you can't'.

Top Bottom